• 2 Post By Aguy
  • 4 Post By sandog
  • 2 Post By RIBob
  • 1 Post By kwg020
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 2 Post By Beck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2020, 04:44   #1

How much does your Hogue Overmolded Stock weigh?

Anyone know what the Mini-14 version of this popular aftermarket stock weighs? Thanks.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:47   #2

I don't know what it weighs but I wish the operating rod guide would snap into place. One time in and out and it won't snap in place anymore. I decided to not use it. Too bad because I like the extended pull length.
bmur66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:31   #3
lcg
Registered Member

Midway's website the stock weighs 2lbs 10oz.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
lcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2020, 14:07   #4

bmur, I don't think any of the Hogues will keep the heat shield in place.
I got tired of it popping loose too, and drilled the end for a small flush head sheet metal screw. That seemed to hold it down.

I don't remember the exact weight of the one I had, it was heavier than the Ruger stock but not too much more so.
What I didn't like about the Hogue was how dang grabby it was.
Wearing anything more than a sleeveless T-shirt and you had trouble getting the Mini to your shoulder. The Hogue would be nicer with the rubber overmolding just where checkering normally is, not all over. That would cut weight down too.
RIBob likes this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 14:30   #5
Formerly "raf"

On the Hogue stock, can the butt plate be removed--and re-installed? Is the butt of the stock hollow, or permanently filled?

Concur with sandog's comments on fewer areas of "sticky" overmolding being an improvement.

Sometimes, less is more.
sandog likes this.
RIBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:53   #6

Factory Folder: 1lb-5oz

Ruger Factory Synthetic: 1lb-14.5oz

Hogue: 2lb-.5oz

Ruger Factory Wood (birch): 2lb-2.5oz

Butler Creek Folder: 2lb-8oz

All these weights are with the heat shield (and liner for factory folder/wood stock). Heat shield weighs 2.5oz

I need to get around to weighing the Sage stock and Troy stock as well....I think the SAGE EBR is 2.4 lbs and the Troy is 2.9 lbs with heat shields.
harles, r80rt, curt mini14 and 1 others like this.
Aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 19:46   #7

Boom! Thanks Aguy. The sticky thing is real too. I kinda forgot about that part.
Old 07-16-2020, 18:00   #8

Sorry for the hijack I have never had a Ruger factory synthetic or inspected one up close, I have only had wood, factory folder and choat / butler folder's on all of my Mini's. If the Ruger stock is the lightest stock out their is, why does everyone seem to not like them? Are they flimsy, weak or seriously inadequate in a functional way? Ugly... subjective (insert Cera-Coat here), short pull (insert butt pad here).

I mean a lot of things can be customized and modified these days with the coatings and 3M or PPG polymer compounds available. You may not want to attempt a thumbhole / folder / adj. comb sniper conversion from a factory stock but what gives? The older I get the lighter my arms & back want.... God help us if we (the old guys) have to stand and deliver one day to keep our country and actually have to hump full kit again

I wonder if they can issue me a mobility chair with track's, a bench rest and cooler on the back?

Cpt. Thomas
CaptThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 18:55   #9
Woods bum

I love the synthetic stock, wood looks much better but for my world synthetic is the only way to go. They are not flimsy and the pull is great. I even take the butt pads to a belt sander and make them 1/4 inch thinner for my short arms. I think people don't like them because they aren't traditional.
sandog, Bepe and MJM59 like this.

Last edited by r80rt; 07-16-2020 at 19:19.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 19:12   #10

Capt Thomas, people not liking the Ruger synthetic is news to me.
I can't recall ever hearing dislike of them. I have stated in the past that they should come in colors other than black, that's my only dislike. But I have got around that with Cerakote.

The Ruger stock, besides being one of the lightest, is 10x stiffer than a Choate, and 10x less grabby than a Hogue.
It has grippiness just where you need it, the checkering.
They are also a nice in between LOP.

My wood stock Mini is cool ,but no way would I grab it instead of the synthetic stocked one when the going gets rough.

r80rt, Beck, Bepe and 2 others like this.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:03   #11

Yep, I will third that. The Ruger synthetic Mini stock is the lightest and most rigid alternative. I know it wouldn't replace wood in heart, but I wish they would mold them in other colors.
r80rt, sandog and Beck like this.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:23   #12

The only thing I personally dislike about the synthetic factory stock is the length of pull. I'm a bit smaller than average.The older wood stock is perfect for me. The synthetic and newer wood are just a bit too long and don't give me that comfortable "made-for-me" fit.
I was able to shorten one of my synthetic stocks and it's much nicer now. It did take some Yankee engineering and a few days in the shop but I got it to where I needed it.

If Ruger made a synthetic stock with add-on pads like many newer rifles offer, THAT would be fantastic.
sandog and Beck like this.
SAN14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:37   #13
Woods bum

I can't think of any circumstance where I would want a wood stock on either of mine.
jumpluff likes this.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:49   #14

Originally Posted by CaptThomas View Post
Sorry for the hijack I have never had a Ruger factory synthetic or inspected one up close, I have only had wood, factory folder and choat / butler folder's on all of my Mini's. If the Ruger stock is the lightest stock out their is, why does everyone seem to not like them? Are they flimsy, weak or seriously inadequate in a functional way? Ugly... subjective (insert Cera-Coat here), short pull (insert butt pad here).

I mean a lot of things can be customized and modified these days with the coatings and 3M or PPG polymer compounds available. You may not want to attempt a thumbhole / folder / adj. comb sniper conversion from a factory stock but what gives? The older I get the lighter my arms & back want.... God help us if we (the old guys) have to stand and deliver one day to keep our country and actually have to hump full kit again

I wonder if they can issue me a mobility chair with track's, a bench rest and cooler on the back?

Cpt. Thomas

Well now that's the reason why I weighed all my stocks- I wanted to find the lightest and the differences in weight between them. I ended up going with the factory synthetic. The factory folder is nice when it comes to weight but it is not the most comfortable shooting experience or cheek weld and I think a bad drop or snag or the shooter tripping could cause some serious damage and ruin the value.

I think there is some dislike of the factory synthetics because it's lack of 'tacticoolness' and some users not like the hollowness of it. But it is by far the lightest and most handy.
jumpluff and r80rt like this.
Aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:28   #15
Formerly "raf"

The text in the official "ShopRuger' site mentions the Mini stock as being "OverMolded" (TM), so perhaps the Ruger stock is a Hogue. I think the (TM) is telling: https://shopruger.com/Mini-14_Thirty...uctinfo/84165/

A bit off-topic, but the syn stock for the Ruger GSR displays some careful internal reinforcement, including special reinforcement of both sling mounting points in the fore-end. https://shopruger.com/Ruger-Scout-Sy...uctinfo/90574/ Internal pic of fore-end third thumbnail from left. That amount of reinforcement required some considerable expense during mold-making. Not a mistake; done on purpose, IMHO.

Not having handled a Mini-14/30 Hogue OverMolded (TM) stock, I have no idea concerning its construction, except, as sandog has mentioned, far too much overmolding was applied.

The Ram-Line and Butler Creek stocks, with which I am familiar, are (IIRC) without the intricate reinforcement seen on the GSR fore-end, because of the op-rod and such being below the barrel.

As an aside, may I suggest, if ever wanting to paint a non-Overmolded (TM) stock, giving the exterior a glass-bead blasting gives the perfect surface onto which to apply any sort of coating--I've done this. Just alone, gives a medium gray, non-reflective surface, which, alone, might satisfy many people.

Sorry for being a bit wordy.

Last edited by RIBob; 07-17-2020 at 12:55.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:31   #16

Originally Posted by SAN14 View Post
The only thing I personally dislike about the synthetic factory stock is the length of pull. I'm a bit smaller than average.The older wood stock is perfect for me. The synthetic and newer wood are just a bit too long and don't give me that comfortable "made-for-me" fit.
I was able to shorten one of my synthetic stocks and it's much nicer now. It did take some Yankee engineering and a few days in the shop but I got it to where I needed it.

If Ruger made a synthetic stock with add-on pads like many newer rifles offer, THAT would be fantastic.
When I gave a Mini to my daughter a couple years ago, I would have liked her to have the old style wood stock for it's short LOP, but I knew the extra weight would be detrimental.
I thought about shortening the synthetic, but it looked like it would take some doing being hollow.
If they made it hollow but solid near the butt it would make it much easier to shorten.
So she ended up with a synthetic stock that is a bit too long for her:

I agree that selling a shorter stock, then providing extra pads to add on,
(like the Gunsite comes with) would be ideal.
r80rt, SAN14, Beck and 1 others like this.
Old 07-17-2020, 13:22   #17
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
When I gave a Mini to my daughter a couple years ago, I would have liked her to have the old style wood stock for it's short LOP, but I knew the extra weight would be detrimental.
I thought about shortening the synthetic, but it looked like it would take some doing being hollow.
If they made it hollow but solid near the butt it would make it much easier to shorten.
So she ended up with a synthetic stock that is a bit too long for her:

I agree that selling a shorter stock, then providing extra pads to add on,
(like the Gunsite comes with) would be ideal.
Col Jeff Cooper opined that it was far easier to use a slightly too-short stock than a slightly too-long stock. I concur, as long as the user can use the sights/optics properly.

One of the reasons why I prefer the (discontinued) Butler Creek folders is that with their having a flat, threaded, metal butt plate, adding a spacer, along with suitable screws, is very simple. They are relatively short as to Length of Pull, as-received. They come with a decent rubber butt-pad, which can be included in any lengthening/spacer alteration, given suitable screws.

Nowadays, with a significant number of people using body armor, shorter stocks, and adjustable stocks are much in demand. In the AR world, the shorter A1 buttstock seems to be demanding premium prices, due to it's being more suited to body armor than the A2 stock.

Adjustable stocks are valuable for their ability to suit user preference, or even different users, particularly in those areas where heavy garments are required in winter, and light clothing suitable in summer. Not to mention body armor.

One's preferred LOP is just a click away, with most adjustable stocks, albeit at the expense of some additional $, and generally being unable to deliver a good butt-stroke without damaging your rifle. The BC folder is unique in its' being a very robust folder, and being able to accept user-made stock spacers.

YMMV, of course. Submitted with all respect.
kwg020 and curt mini14 like this.

Last edited by RIBob; 07-17-2020 at 15:33.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:49   #18

I have 2 of the A1 AR stocks. One my M16 clone and one on my favorite lower. There is something about that little 1/2 inch shorter stock that I really like. I had to cut down a laminated Mini stock (after market) because the length of pull was too long. It is now the same length as the buttstocks on my M1 Garands.

kwg
Beck likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 16:31   #19

I WOULD SUGGEST NOT FILLING THE HOGUE STOCK

TAKE OUT THE LOWER BUTT PAD SCREW AND USE IT AS STORAGE FOR BATTERY AND ALLEN WRENCHES. THE BUTTPAD WILL ROTATE WITH THE ONE SCREW.

BUY A SLIP ON LIMBSAVER RECOIL PAD TO KEEP THE BUTT PAD IN PLACE AND TO SAVE YOU SHOULDER

https://limbsaver.com/products/airte...-on-recoil-pad

potato chip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 16:59   #20

Hey potato chip, your keyboard is stuck on all caps.
Beck likes this.
Old 07-24-2020, 20:18   #21
Glass Half-Full Member

I've increased the length of pull on my 189 Series Mini-30 by 3/4" by adding a Choate rubber recoil pad. In the process of shaping it I took off roughly 1/4" of its 1" thickness. It fits me perfectly. It's not like my knuckles are dragging the ground or anything like that, but I have long arms for my 6' 1/2" stature. It's a good fit for me with light summer clothing or heavier winter attire. I still have the original plastic butt plate, and a blued steel butt plate. Nice thing about the Mini is it takes only two screws to switch things out if needed.

A humorous side note: When I was in high school and a young martial artist (Shotokan Karate), and my height started inching up, I prayed that I'd stay shorter because Bruce Lee was about 5' 8" and I didn't want greater height to screw up my form. I told my mom back then I've been praying to stay short. She got upset with me. That lady believes in the power of prayer. As it turned out God did not hear my prayers. My maternal grandfather was 6' 2", about the same height as my youngest son.

^^^ There's your laugh for the day, and it's on me. You're welcome!
r80rt and sandog like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote