• 4 Post By MJM59
  • 2 Post By RIBob
  • 2 Post By Russ P
  • 4 Post By 2rangers
  • 2 Post By CptObvious

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 22:29   #1

Unhappy I think I did a bad thing

Hi everyone, New to the forum and new to the mini 14. Last month I purchased a mini 14 Tactical in 300 BLK. When it arrived I was excited to get the scope mounted and it sighted in so I loaded a 223 bore laser sight into the mag racked it. I didn't think much of it because I saw an amazon review of the bore sight where someone said it worked for their 300 BLK. I noticed that it the bore sight didn't get extracted when I tried to eject it but it came out relatively easily by hand. Didn't think much of it at the time since I read that 330 blackout uses the same casing as 556. (obviously I miss interpreted this)

Well, then I finally got my hands on some 300 BLK ammo and noticed to my horror that the ammo has very different proportions around the bullet itself...

Now here is my question. I probably loaded the bore sight up in this fashion 3 or so times and that 223/556 casing was shoved all the way into the chamber when I racked it. Did I just break my rifle before a single shot was fired?
Attached Thumbnails
I think I did a bad thing-20200712_221717.jpg   I think I did a bad thing-20200712_221753.jpg  

Last edited by CptObvious; 07-12-2020 at 22:57. Reason: spelling
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 22:42   #2

Welcome CptObvious...
You may have damaged the laser, but you did not damage your rifle.
2rangers, jumpluff, r80rt and 2 others like this.
MJM59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 22:49   #3

Originally Posted by MJM59 View Post
You may have damaged the laser, but you did not damage your rifle...
I can accept that. Its just that the neck is so different that it seems like the thicker neck could foul up the chamber as that bolt slams it home. No?
2rangers likes this.

Old 07-12-2020, 22:56   #4

The chamber is made of much harder metal than the brass laser case.
The bolt probably stopped moving forward when the laser case bottomed out in the chamber... Its also possible the body of the laser case is shaped different than a standard 5.56 case so it can be used with 300BLK.
2rangers, jumpluff, r80rt and 1 others like this.

Last edited by MJM59; 07-12-2020 at 23:11.
MJM59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:47   #5
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by MJM59 View Post
The chamber is made of much harder metal than the brass laser case.
The bolt probably stopped moving forward when the laser case bottomed out in the chamber... Its also possible the body of the laser case is shaped different than a standard 5.56 case so it can be used with 300BLK.
Concur. The scratches on the body of your laser in your pics were made by the much harder metal of the rifle's chamber, so little/no chance of your rifle being damaged.

Might be that the laser is not really damaged either. Only one way to find out. Good Luck!
2rangers and jumpluff like this.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:40   #6

Lube it up and shoot it. Let us know how she groups. The fellas here have all sorts of cool mods to dial it in.
Good bunch of guys with no drama BS.
For the most part. Some people can't help themselves.
r80rt and Herman Munster like this.
Russ P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:50   #7

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
p.s. The ore should be DRY before shooting. Never shoot a rifle with an oil-fouled bore, if you can help it.
Sparkie, Bepe, RIBob and 1 others like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 14:38   #8
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by 2rangers View Post
p.s. The ore should be DRY before shooting. Never shoot a rifle with an oil-fouled bore, if you can help it.
Agreed! Also, the chamber and even the bolt face should have any oil removed.
Old 07-13-2020, 15:33   #9

Thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate all of your responses. I am just glad its most likely not a problem.

I am going to take the rifle out shooting next week. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Old 07-13-2020, 15:39   #10

Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Hello, I'm new but I have years of firearms experience. Some things to avoid doing other than what you learned in your experience is to not let the bolt slam on an empty or a cartridge you drop into the chamber of a semi automatic rifle or pistol. They are designed to strip the cartridge from the magazines. When you let the bolt slam over a dropped in cartridge the extractor is shoved over the case rim instead of dove tailing in during the stripping off the magazine. On a side note, I have sighted in many platforms with scopes and never used a laser bore sight.
Using your description I think the rifle is okay. Be sure to clean the bore and lubricate prior to firing. Let us know how it shoots.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I never let the bolt slam on an empty chamber. I didn't know about the drop in cartridges though. That's good to know. My mini seems to require a lot of inertia or force for the extractor to engage and grip the brass. I assume that's just because it needs breaking in.
Old 07-13-2020, 18:33   #11
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by CptObvious View Post
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I never let the bolt slam on an empty chamber. I didn't know about the drop in cartridges though. That's good to know. My mini seems to require a lot of inertia or force for the extractor to engage and grip the brass. I assume that's just because it needs breaking in.
I think you'll be fine. Just remember to remove all oil from the barrel, chamber, and bolt face before firing. Please report back.
Old 07-23-2020, 16:53   #12

I took it out to the range today and put about 120 rounds through it. At first I was really disappointed. in the first 40 rounds I had about 3 failures to eject. Something I tried to avoid by cleaning the bolt real good before taking it out. (there were a lot of metal shards from the manufacturing process in there)

A local guy, that claimed to be a former gun smith, took a look at some my ejected shells and told me that they were jamming somehow and suggested that I take off my scope and scope rings as they might be blocking the ejection port.

sure enough after I removed the scope the next 80 rounds went through it no problem. But that's the bad news I couldn't sight my scope in

A) I had to remove my scope and
B) my third shot just happen to be a bit low and hit my target holder, cutting it in half ... just my luck.

So I wasn't really able to test if I fouled up the gun but since I was able to hit pop cans at 100 yards say 60% of the time with the iron sights I think its safe to say its probably fine.
r80rt and MJM59 like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 17:03   #13
Woods bum

I doubt very seriously that you did any damage.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote