• 2 Post By 40nascar
  • 2 Post By RIBob
  • 2 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By Bepe
  • 2 Post By r80rt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 06:56   #1

30 Tacticals--stock swap

As most know, I have two 30 Tacticals. An early 583 black and a late 583 stainless. The black 30 is pretty much bare bones. Only upgrades was the Tech Sight, Choate Handguard and a trigger touch up. It resided in a current issue Ruger OEM poly stock that was refinished by our resident Cerakote Master.

The second 30 Tactical was a late issue 583 stainless. I had that sitting in a 189 series wood stock. The stainless is wearing an Ultimak, Burris FF3 and Tech Sight. Also a trigger fluff with an MCarbo secondary spring. The 189 stock has the steel "head knocker" butt plate from Numrich. Noticeable weight difference between the two with the stainless feeling significantly heavier.

Got to thinking about the poly stock and blue gun combo. Makes more sense for the weather resistant stainless to reside in the poly stock. A complete weather resistant package. The swap was made. The black Tactical now wears wood and the stainless is home in the poly stock. Weight of both is more equal now. The stainless feels much more handy and balances nicely. Both rifles are now wearing what they should be. Glad the light bulb popped on.

Now I got to get them to the range for a zero.

Stay safe Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
30 Tacticals--stock swap-dscn4537.jpg   30 Tacticals--stock swap-dscn4543.jpg   30 Tacticals--stock swap-dscn4538.jpg   30 Tacticals--stock swap-dscn4540.jpg  
jumpluff, r80rt, 40nascar and 3 others like this.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:13   #2

Nice color on that poly stock !!!
The swap makes sense, the stainless is a good match with the poly stock.
Can't get much more weather resistant or durable than that.

I might have to get one of those head knocker butt plates.
Every night on the news I see some looters/protesters I'd like to try it out on.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:41   #3

For inquiring minds.....the poly stock is a masterpiece. Sand blasted prior to finish, the surface texture is rough to the feel. Not too rough...just rough enough for a positive, no slip purchase. I'm a picky buzzard and attention to detail is second to none. The lighter weight of the poly stock pairs up nicely with the relatively minor, but extra weight of the Ultimak and Fast Fire for a better handling feel.

The stainless BELONGS in that stock as does the wood and black.

Another thanks to SD for his Mini input and help.

Regards Bepe
jumpluff, r80rt, 40nascar and 2 others like this.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:00   #4
Glass Half-Full Member

Thumbs up

Nice pair of Minis! Good idea on the stock swap. That looks right to me. I have a steel butt plate I haven't used in ages. It's good for head knocking for sure...
r80rt, 40nascar, sandog and 1 others like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:38   #5

Nice looking but My hand is out at the end of the handguard for off hand control. But it's a nice looking setup B man.
r80rt, sandog and Bepe like this.
Old 07-10-2020, 13:30   #6

Nice rigs, Bepe. Just about mirrors my two Mini-30s but mine are the "poor man's Tacticals" having the standard .625" Mini-30 barrel instead of the .750".

Now you just need to have me Cerakote the metal, and they will be truly weatherproof !
I liked the way this one came out, but the Desert Sand color is a bit light.

I bought this M&P .45 a couple weeks ago, and the black color was bugging me, so it got the FDE treatment. But the Magpul FDE is kind of a pale (greenish) tan, I did this one in Smith and Wesson Tan, a much deeper tan.

I like the S&W Tan so much, I'm going to redo parts of the Mini in it, and redo the .45 Shield in the darker S&W Tan.
Here is my 5 inch 9mm on top, which came from the factory done in FDE (S&W Tan), and on bottom the new .45 that I Cerakoted:
r80rt, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 07-10-2020, 19:19   #7
Temp Banned!

I agree Sandog. The S&W tan looks more appealing to me than FDE.

sandog and Bepe like this.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 19:51   #8

Some really good looking guns. Hope to one day change my stock color on my tactical mini 30. Every time you guys post those pics it keeps bugging me to do mine.
40nascar, sandog and Bepe like this.
grayfox2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 13:02   #9

Wednesday is the day my buddy shoots trap at one of the gun clubs we belong to. It has become my range day since retiring. Since swapping the stocks on the two 30 Tacticals last week a zero was required. The black Tactical took the ride this morning.

I took a couple of DCM 100 yard modified MR31 targets along with a load of Red Army Standard and Hornady Steel. Holding "heavy" on the steel cased ammo so figured I'd test some out. Shot a few here and there but no extensive testing so far. 50 round box of Hornady and two boxes of Red Army...40 total.

Checked and adjusted the zero at 50 yards with the Hornady and then set a target @ 100 yards. At 100 yards the Hornady zero had shifted just out of the 5 1/2" bull at 7 o'clock. The Red Army was shooting just out of the bull at 1 o'clock. I didn't chase the sights just enjoyed the day and shot. Ended up with a couple of good fist sized groups in both areas. Changed the target once more with the same results.

ZERO malfunctions with both the Red Army and the Hornady. The Red Army appears to feel a bit hotter than the Hornady. Both brands are hot and ejectd briskly about 8 feet or so away.

I noticed some x39mm steel cases laying on the ground so I investigated. Tulammo. The primers looked "funky" to say the least so I grabbed one. Don't know what shot it but sure odd. Pic of all three. Good primer indent on both the steel I was shooting. Not going to touch the firing pin.

One thing I was thinking in regard to this is the headspace. Both of the Tacticals have tight chambers with only .003 headspace per my Hornady Case Comparator. IIRC the fp protrusion on the black Tactical is only .032" yet good deep fp indent. The tight headspace probably helps with the steel.

The black 30 is cleaned, greased and oiled. Tucked in the safe. Next up the stainless.

OH and another thing.....I tried RIBobs recommendation of a swipe of grease on the trigger latch and locking receiver lugs when I put it together. Trigger latched like butter. I may be a convert.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
30 Tacticals--stock swap-dscn4550.jpg  
sandog likes this.
Old 07-15-2020, 14:31   #10
Formerly "raf"

I believe the issues you see with the primers on the 7.62x39 ctgs have already been addressed by experts. See here: https://murraysguns.com/popped-primer-problems/

I am awaiting a firing pin from Murray's for my TULA, Russki, SKS, and will make the mods/stoning to the bolt face during the install. Common sense, really.

AFAIK, these issues seldom manifest with Ruger 7.62x39 firearms, but user care is always advised. No telling about original /Ruger Quality control. YMMV.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 14:59   #11

Obviously some irregularity on the bolt face. I've never popped a primer so I've ignored it. Federal primers are the softest made and I've shot many of those with no issues. FP protrusion is only .032 so not excessive.

Only the two cases on the left are mine. The Tulammo was a range pickup that I posted to show the strange primer indent. Don't know if it is the primer or the rifle that fired it.

Bepe
r80rt likes this.
Old 07-15-2020, 15:05   #12
Woods bum

I had a WASR AK 47 that made a primer indent like that.
Bepe likes this.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:44   #13

Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
I had a WASR AK 47 that made a primer indent like that.
Thanks r80. AK's are rare up in this neck of the woods, after being banned by the commie AG. (Any AK or SKS in the state prior to the ban was grandfathered.) For that matter you don't see too much x39mm either. Only ammo I've run across in any of the gun stores is Tulammo.

I've got 2 cases of Red Army and 3 cases of Hornady steel on hand for steel case. I think I'll adjust the sights on the blue Tactical for the Red Army and keep that gun dedicated to that ammo. I'll have to do some testing with the PPU and Federal I have on hand to compare POI.

Been neglecting the Mini's at range time for too long. Almost "crunch time" with the election approaching and got to get busy with some needed ballistic work.

Regards Bepe
r80rt, 40nascar and sandog like this.

Last edited by Bepe; 07-16-2020 at 07:47.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:01   #14
Woods bum

Bepe, I can't swear that an AK fired that round, but it sure looks like it to me. My SKS indent was similar to that as well.
40nascar and Bepe like this.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:50   #15

You are probably correct. The AK's and SKS's in the state prior to the ban were grandfathered. They are around but scarce.

Anyone who has one isn't parting with it.

Bepe
r80rt likes this.
Old 07-19-2020, 00:50   #16
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post

Been neglecting the Mini's at range time for too long. Almost "crunch time" with the election approaching and got to get busy with some needed ballistic work.

Regards Bepe
You got that right! Between Parts and Gunsmithing labor ive spent about $1000 on the mini's in the last 3 month's getting ready for BLAMTIFA. That includes 2 mini 30's with new firing pins set at .042 to .044 potrusion. Works like a champ on Steel and Brass cased ammo.
r80rt, curt mini14, sandog and 2 others like this.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:41   #17

You have 2 very nice Mini's.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:52   #18
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
As most know, I have two 30 Tacticals. An early 583 black and a late 583 stainless. The black 30 is pretty much bare bones. Only upgrades was the Tech Sight, Choate Handguard and a trigger touch up. It resided in a current issue Ruger OEM poly stock that was refinished by our resident Cerakote Master.

The second 30 Tactical was a late issue 583 stainless. I had that sitting in a 189 series wood stock. The stainless is wearing an Ultimak, Burris FF3 and Tech Sight. Also a trigger fluff with an MCarbo secondary spring. The 189 stock has the steel "head knocker" butt plate from Numrich. Noticeable weight difference between the two with the stainless feeling significantly heavier.

Got to thinking about the poly stock and blue gun combo. Makes more sense for the weather resistant stainless to reside in the poly stock. A complete weather resistant package. The swap was made. The black Tactical now wears wood and the stainless is home in the poly stock. Weight of both is more equal now. The stainless feels much more handy and balances nicely. Both rifles are now wearing what they should be. Glad the light bulb popped on.

Now I got to get them to the range for a zero.

Stay safe Bepe

My two look almost exactly like yours ( same set-up on wood vs. Steel) except that mine are not tacticools, and i had the firing pin mods. Mine both weight in almost exactly 7.0 lbs with an empty 5 rnd mag on the postal scale. My 5803 wood/blue has the 5803 stock, so No headknocker but plate. Im thinking about having the gunsmith whack off an inch and a half on the 5803 barrel and thread it for a break. Tacticools ( or any mini for that matter) are almost impossible to find now, especially in the PRK.
r80rt, sandog, Beck and 1 others like this.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:22   #19

You must have a less dense wood stock, 40nascar.
Most wood stock Minis go closer to 7 3/4 pounds, a good 3/4 pound heavier than a synthetic stock Mini.
Walnut stock Minis like CoSteve's are more like 8 1/4 pounds.

My daughter and son in law are coming out for a 8 day visit in September, we have a couple days put aside for shooting.
They both have Mini-30s now, and both have S&W M&Ps in 9mm.So I'll have some "classes" for them in tactics, breakdown for cleaning and minor repairs.
r80rt, 40nascar, Beck and 1 others like this.
Old 07-21-2020, 15:33   #20
Glass Half-Full Member

My 189 Series Mini-30 with birch wood stock was listed as weighing 7.3 lbs in the catalog from the time. Before I did any mods it weighed 7.5 lbs with full 5-Rnd mag. One of the easiest ways to take a little weight off is to replace the heavy factory poly handguard with either the Choate or a wood handguard. The factory handguard is the heaviest of those I have. The lightest is my birch wood handguard, just a bit lighter than the Choate, not by much. The Choate weighing in at around 2 oz is about half the weight of the factory handguard.
r80rt, sandog and Bepe like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 17:58   #21
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
You must have a less dense wood stock, 40nascar.
Most wood stock Minis go closer to 7 3/4 pounds, a good 3/4 pound heavier than a synthetic stock Mini.
Walnut stock Minis like CoSteve's are more like 8 1/4 pounds.
I think mine weighed closer to 7.2 lbs before i replaced the factory handguard with the lightweight one from choate. And i dont know the significance of this, but it came with a tag on it that said "Talo special edition". Maybe the wood was specially selected for it. Also the stainless synthetic was 6.7 lbs. Before i installed the ultamak rail in place of the factory handguard.

Last edited by 40nascar; 07-21-2020 at 18:17. Reason: Autocorrect error
Old 07-21-2020, 18:35   #22
Formerly "raf"

From what I understand, Birch stocks are about 10% more dense than Walnut stocks, and are also less likely to suffer from splitting, vice Walnut stocks.

Birch, being a light-colored wood, can be stained as desired. Tiger-stripe Birch is much sought-after as a premium wood.

My very late-made HRA M1 (DCM) has an OEM Birch stock, with all the correct cartouches.

Birch was an alternate wood for GI stocks, and often appeared in stocks made for later M1s and many M-14s.

I don't know what wood Ruger uses for their stocks.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:25   #23

Yes, on charts most Birch shows more density than most Walnuts.
But there are several different types of Birch, and several different types of Walnut.

So if Birch is more dense than Walnut, why do Walnut Mini stocks weigh more than Birch ones ?????
The Birch that Ruger uses must be a less dense, cheaper type of Birch.

Birch Mini stocks are much harder to stain evenly than Walnut, Birch takes a stain like some of the softwoods like Fir or Pine.
Birch is somewhat helped by using a pre stain conditioner.

Walnut takes a stain beautifully, due to the consistency of it's grain and pores.
I'd prefer a nice Walnut stock on my Mini like the one CoSteve has, but my Birch stock Mini is heavy enough as it is.
r80rt and Bepe like this.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:39   #24

I suspect the heavy Tactical barrel adds a good amount of weight. Neither one of mine are what I'd consider light. That is OK as the 7.62x39mm cartridge has a greater amount of recoil than the 5.56 and the extra weight helps soak some of it up.

Bepe
r80rt likes this.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:15   #25
Woods bum

I just checked the spec sheet on Ruger's website.

the mini 30 18.5" in wood weighs 7 lbs.
the mini 30 18.5 in synthetic weighs 6.7 lbs.
the Mini 30 tactical weighs 6.7 lbs.

They list the same weights for the respective mini14's.
40nascar and Bepe like this.