• 1 Post By RIBob
  • 1 Post By GAMEOVER
  • 1 Post By RIBob
  • 1 Post By GAMEOVER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 19:19   #1
Suck it Leftists!

New Flashlight Mount for the Mini 14/30

Just saw this posted on the Mini 14/30 Facebook Page. Flashlight mount from Skinner Sights. Sorry if previously posted.

Mini ~14
ECVMatt, Danmanrn, Bepe and 1 others like this.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:58   #2

Slick looking mount, but unfortunately can't be used if you are running a strut.
I have struts on both of my Minis, so I'll have to stick with the side rail mount.
Bepe and RIBob like this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:12   #3
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Slick looking mount, but unfortunately can't be used if you are running a strut.
I have struts on both of my Minis, so I'll have to stick with the side rail mount.
Concur with strut incompatibility. With a pencil-barrel, I'd rather have the strut and mount the light to the side, as sandog posted above.

Also, the sling, if mounted on the OEM sling swivel, will impede use of the light.

My Mini syn stocks have short sections of picatinny rail mounted at 3-, 6-, and 9-o'clock for attachment of accessories. If unused, insert some sections of Magpul ladder-rail-panels so the sections of pic-rail aren't cheese-graters.

https://magpul.com/catalog/product/v...obal_color=118

In some cases, I use contrasting sections of the above covers to "blank-off" unused sections of long rails. This way, a detached optic, when being re-attached, cannot be installed in the wrong slots in the picatinny rail, especially in dim light.
Bepe likes this.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2020, 06:25   #4
Suck it Leftists!

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
If I were to add an accessory mount to the Mini I would go with your approach. I have yet to add a tactical light to any of my firearms. The last time I checked I thought they were still ridiculously over priced.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:08   #5
Formerly "raf"

Owning quite a few other weapons lights (including some SureFire units), I am seriously considering this unit as my next purchase:
https://inforce-mil.com/products/rif.../wmlx-whiteir/

Advantages are low-profile, easy switching without remote switch, and White/IR emitters.

YMMV, but a good light is an essential tool. Good tools are seldom cheap.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-09-2020, 14:05   #6
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Another problem with the Skinner Mount is you would need a remote switch. That Streamlight they are showing has the rear toggle...same as mine. Toggle one way and the light stays on as long as the lever is held. Toggle the other way and it clicks on for a no hold light.

The Skinner is so far forward you could not reach it without a remote. With the stock mounted Pic rail you can mount the rail just forward of your natural holding position. A slight extension of your index finger can then activate the light without altering the hold of the rifle.

Bepe
Concur that the mount places the light in an awkward position without separate remote pads. As I posted, some more modern lights do not require remote pads.

Having many SureFire lights with remote pads, I am looking forward to replacing them with equally reliable lights that are more user-friendly. YMMV.
Old 07-09-2020, 17:08   #7
Suck it Leftists!

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
GO...a good light is overpriced... as is everything else that is a necessity. Price isn't likely to be going down. Personally, I'd bite the bullet and make the purchase. A light will be invaluable if things go south.

The Streamlight lights come with a selection of adapters that can be switched for use on different firearms. Gives a little versatility.

I followed Sandogs advice way back and put the pic rail section on each Mini and bought a light for each. The setup is slick. I keep the lights stored in the safe with the batteries out. If doo doo hits, I'll mount them.

Bepe
Thanks for the recommendation. Im getting more frugal the older I get. Now I know why my Dad always complained about how much stuff cost when he was my age. Maybe Ill start doing some research and get one for my birthday next month. I would definitely start with one on my night stand handgun.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-09-2020, 17:15   #8
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Im getting more frugal the older I get. Now I know why my Dad always complained about how much stuff cost when he was my age. Maybe Ill start doing some research and get one for my birthday next month. I would definitely start with one on my night stand handgun.

Money wisely spent is seldom money wasted.