Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs... - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 09:38   #1

Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...

IN these times of "unrest" I wonder what others have as their Home/Ranch defensive setups. While I really like the M1 Carbine as a home defense carbine (less over-penetration than the 5.56), I really, really like the 581 series Ruger Ranch, as it is an M1 Carbine with a stiffy!

or

Here's the Zombie Wars rig I have. Now it is the 2009 stainless 581 Series Mini Ranch instead of the blued 186 series in the picture. It has 6 "taco" mag pouches. They are designed to be doubles, but it is a pain replacing a spent magazine. They work great with single mags...

MY Galati International 6 Pack magazine pouch. Holds six 30 round magazines.I have had it since the 1980s. I used it for my Mini and AR15s I used as LEO trunk weapons.

Here is a repop Rhodesian Fereday chest rig. For four 20 round FAL/G3 mags, but holds eight 20 round AR15 or Mini-14 mags.

A Chinese Type 63 20 round pouch works great fro 20 round AR and Mini-14 mags. It holds 10 or 12. I put fastex buckles on instead of tying it in back. Even with 10/20 mags, it would hold a lot of ammo.

Old school USGI 30 round carbine pouches

I also have a Commiefornia legal "featureless" AR15, but I would grab either of the above before I would grab it. I guess I am old school. In truth, I snap shoot both the Mini-14 and M1 Carbine much better than the AR15, even though I started shooting the AR15 platform in 1974....

Last edited by imarangemaster; 07-02-2020 at 10:22.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:36   #2

For the most part, since I moved back into my neighborhood house, I'll probably use the M1 Carbine with a 15 rounder in it full of Hornady Critical Defense, and two more mags in the stock pouch. The Mini's 5.56 would be problematic with neighbors on half acre lots. The Mini was the go to when I lived on acreage.
2rangers likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:40   #3
Formerly "raf"

Interesting topic.

Your point about the reduced over-penetration of a Hollow-Point and/or Round Lead Nose Carbine round having reduced over-penetration vice the FMJ 5.56 round is worth noting, since, as has been said, "Every bullet you fire has a lawyer attached to it". Civil disturbances don't last forever (hopefully), and at the end, there might be a reckoning with the Law. Shooting an armed bad guy is one thing, but over-penetrating and also shooting an unarmed person behind them is quite another thing.

Your rigs all look serviceable. May I suggest https://olongapooutfitters.com/ as a one-stop vendor of gear for M-1 Carbine, M1 Garand, and AR-15/Mini-14 ammo gear and pouches? Site closed till 07July. Disclaimer: no financial interest.

Spent mags? If you have the time, and have practiced doing so, then a "Dump Pouch" might be worthwhile. Just make sure it has a reinforced top, so dumping mags into it is no hassle.

I think it worthwhile to consider some sort of ballistic protection. A low-profile vest (worn under light outer clothing) might be worth considering, although such a vest probably will not protect against 5.56 rds. Ballistic eyewear is also worth considering.

I'm probably taking this thread down a rabbit-hole, so I'll stop now. I actually have been in some full-blown riots, as a bystander, with tear gas, and all that stuff.

Riots where the rioters were armed and shooting? No, thank Heaven.
RIBob is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 10:55   #4

Haha! I actually still have my Level 3A vest (from my LEO days) with a chest shock plate that stops 30 Carbine. Drop pouches are good things. Claymore bags work, as do some of the WW2/Korea utility pouches. Chuck Taylor (pack in the day) had a great tutorial on them.
2rangers likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:56   #5
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
For the most part, since I moved back into my neighborhood house, I'll probably use the M1 Carbine with a 15 rounder in it full of Hornady Critical Defense, and two more mags in the stock pouch. The Mini's 5.56 would be problematic with neighbors on half acre lots. The Mini was the go to when I lived on acreage.
The only quibbles I have with stock-mounted pouches, in general, is that they work against using the firearm "weak-side", because they render getting a good cheek weld tough/impossible to do. YMMV.

Since most "disturbances" take place at night (at least now) having some sort of illuminated sight, such as a red-dot, is a worthwhile consideration. Also, having some sort of high-intensity light on one's firearm can prove valuable for target identification. The Ultimak Scout Mount for your Carbine is probably the best available, and requires no permanent changes to your Carbine.

Having a flash suppressor (night-time use) for any firearm adds to one's capabilities.
2rangers and imarangemaster like this.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:59   #6
Formerly "raf"

Haha! I actually still have my Level 3A vest (from my LEO days) with a chest shock plate that stops 30 Carbine. Drop pouches are good things. Claymore bags work, as do some of the WW2/Korea utility pouches. Chuck Taylor (pack in the day) had a great tutorial on them.
Might want to dig out the vest, dust it off, and get it set-up. Chuck Taylor knew what he was doing, and you sound like you might know some stuff, as well.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:03   #7

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
Might want to dig out the vest, dust it off, and get it set-up. Chuck Taylor knew what he was doing, and you sound like you might, as well.
Thanks, I do know some. I have 7 years military and 20+ years as an LEO. That included time as a firearms and tactics instructor... I guess I am just a tired and retired old warrior..

I keep a compact Streamlight on the shelf with the spare 30 rounder. I don't like lights attached to the weapon. I want it separate if I need to pitch it as a distraction or to misdirect opposing fire. With the slim handguards of the Mini and the M1 Carbine, I can cup the light under the stock in my hand (old school before there were weapon lights...)

The carbine is the only weapon I use the stock pouch on. I grab it from the hidden rack, it has either 45 round (or 60 if I have a 30 in the weapon instead of a 15). I have been doing it that way since 1982 or so, so it has become part of the muscle memory of using the weapon.
2rangers likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:07   #8
Formerly "raf"

Thanks, I do know some. I have 7 years military and 20+ years as an LEO. That included time as a firearms and tactics instructor... I guess I am just a tired and retired old warrior..

"Tired and retired"? Your call. Valuable real-life experience? Definitely.
2rangers and imarangemaster like this.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:37   #9

I like the style of the IDF ----->https://ruger1022.com/blog/israeli-ruger-1022/

A suppressed 1022 with an Armasight would be my first choice if I lived in
city. MM
Danmanrn and Beck like this.
mini-mizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:42   #10

IN 2012-2014, I also did two years as a domestic security contractor doing "Critical Infrastructure Protection" for Homeland Security. Spent 12 hours a night solo in a jeep with an AR15, M1 Carbine, or Mini-14 in the mountains of Central CA, patrolling dams, power houses, transmission lines.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 07-02-2020 at 12:12.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:52   #11
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by mini-mizer View Post
I like the style of the IDF ----->https://ruger1022.com/blog/israeli-ruger-1022/

A suppressed 1022 with an Armasight would be my first choice if I lived in
city. MM
IIRC (and no cites, unfortunately), the Israeli suppressed 10-22s were used, by expert snipers, to shoot the worst of the protesters in the balls/groin.

This was extremely effective, for obvious reasons.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:56   #12

I read something awhile back about shooting for the groin area. So my last set of zombie targets I drew full size on cardboard and tried one down low, one in the chest and one in the head. Works fine on cardboard that's not moving and fun. All the cardboard zombies died almost instantly, many without their junk.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 13:33   #13
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
I read something awhile back about shooting for the groin area. So my last set of zombie targets I drew full size on cardboard and tried one down low, one in the chest and one in the head. Works fine on cardboard that's not moving and fun. All the cardboard zombies died almost instantly, many without their junk.
Once the word gets out that highly-trained snipers are shooting for your balls, things quiet down right quick. Even a "miss" is likely to hit an artery in the groin/leg, and such could easily prove fatal.
Old 07-02-2020, 15:14   #14

Works well for Zombies and Rioters:
2rangers, jumpluff, r80rt and 9 others like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 15:30   #15
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Works well for Zombies and Rioters:
The "BONE" is a beautiful, very capable aircraft. More capable than many understand.

Not so sure it is the proper weapon for simple street riots. No disrespect.
Old 07-02-2020, 19:46   #16

Once the word gets out that highly-trained snipers are shooting for your balls, things quiet down right quick. Even a "miss" is likely to hit an artery in the groin/leg, and such could easily prove fatal.
It's my understanding that in India if there is a riot the police have designated snipers shooting high powered pellet guns. They shoot the instigators in the face with the gun. This usually takes out an eye. It seems to tame them down once they have an eye shot out.

kwg
W.R.Buchanan and SMOGGUY like this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 19:53   #17

Heres my mini 30 that could work but in all honesty Id probably grab one of my greasegun mag fed pccs or sbr in .45 acp.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-535f801c-4e47-4c99-baaf-db2a30f2b0c0.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-53d737db-67b3-4001-8276-50eb17accd8b.jpg  
2rangers, Beck, Bepe and 1 others like this.
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:46   #18

The "BONE" is a beautiful, very capable aircraft. More capable than many understand.

Not so sure it is the proper weapon for simple street riots. No disrespect.
It's called "humor", Bob.
2rangers, r80rt, 40nascar and 4 others like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:34   #19
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
It's called "humor", Bob.
I guess the Bone and the humor both have gone over my head.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:20   #20

Bone + Humor = Boner
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:34   #21

I don't usually post pics of my zombi guns but I have enough to keep me & my wife safe. I like to keep the left guessing what I might or might not have. But I will say I keep a Springfield 9MM within arms reach when I'm sleeping & an MI 30 Carbine in the gun rack beside the bed.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
grayfox2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:43   #22

Back to topic, Ima. I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that .223 ammo ( not 5.56) with 55 gr softpounts is a good self defense round that will not over penetrate. I think it is the hornady factory ammo.

As for ammo rigs, i like your HK 4 pouch rig, and i might try out the CHiCom SKS Bandeler, but i really like the Vietnam War era 20 rnd mag belt rigs. 4 mags in each pouch. I snag them whenever i see them. They are pretty rare to find now. I have about 1/2 dozen of them.

I have thought previously about gettinh an M1 carbine, but i think the mini has several advatages that are hard to overlook, therefore i have no interest in the carbine.

1) Stainless steel
2) modern (relatively) with good, and fairly inexpensive parts readily available.
3) Chambered in 5.56 or 7.62x39, it is a more effective and less expensive to shoot weapon.
4) You wont ruin its collector value by using it.
Jazzsax8, Beck and Bepe like this.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 13:25   #23

Not messing around this time...

Time for a purge...
Attached Thumbnails
Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-nagasaki_mission_crew.jpg  
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 13:39   #24
Woods bum

I like the way you think.