Old 07-03-2020, 20:10   #26
Woods bum

Yes please.
2rangers, 40nascar and Bepe like this.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:30   #27
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
IN these times of "unrest" I wonder what others have as their Home/Ranch defensive setups. While I really like the M1 Carbine as a home defense carbine (less over-penetration than the 5.56), I really, really like the 581 series Ruger Ranch, as it is an M1 Carbine with a stiffy!

Would you be so kind as to post the External dimensions of a GI (or equivalent) metal 15-rd M-1 Carbine mag? I might have an idea.

ETA, another member here (MJM59) IM'ed the dimensions as being 4" Long X 1-7/8" Wide, and 3/4" thick. This being the case (check, of course), then there might be good news for M-1 Carbine owners using 15-rd steel mags.

Try this experiment: Obtain some MOLLE (USGI/USMC) 40 MM GRENADE POUCH (DOUBLE). NSN 8465-01-580-2763 (Multicam), or some 40 MM GRENADE POUCH (SINGLE) NSN 8465-01-580-2756 (Multicam) NSNs may vary for different colors/camos. Many different colors/camos available, and for dirt cheap. Even the grayish UCP camo pouches can be easily dyed. These pouches can be mounted on MOLLE/PALS platforms, belts (including GI pistol belt), and other platforms.

I made some measurements of the 40MM GRENADE POUCH, and it seems as though a 15-rd Carbine mag should fit, according to dimensions given to me.

The very similar 40 mm PYROTECHNIC POUCH (DOUBLE) is deeper than the grenade pouch, and less suitable for Carbine mags.

Not having a 15-rd Carbine mag in hand, I can't say, for certain, that the above pouches will work, so try the experiment at your own risk. Please report back!

Last edited by RIBob; 07-04-2020 at 08:57.
RIBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:08   #28

First: and this may be a long winded post, I want to extol the virtues of the Tactical Shotguns for Urban Unrest.

This is my 20" Mossberg 500. which is 7+1. I have a variety of loaded ammo I can run in this gun and it is easily effective out to 100+ yards. Its Vang Comped Barrel puts 00 Buckshot into <7" at 25 yards which makes Buckshot a viable round out to 50 yards

Then my HD gun which is only 5+1 But I can Port load pretty fast off the side saddle If I run it dry. I ran it yesterday at the Three Gun. There was only 10 Shotgun Targets so I ran it dry and then port loaded the last 4 off the side saddle. Much faster than loading 4 in the mag and then shooting. I was never more than 5 seconds between shots. This one also has a Vang Comped Barrel and shoots a little tighter < 5" at 25 yards.

I as I told you all last month I ran my Mini 14 with the 30 round Tapco Mags and it was very effective. It is one of my favorites simply because it is Dead Reliable, and now that the Tapco Mags run right I have AR firepower. Plus that if I run out of ammo it makes a pretty decent club!

This month I ran my Kel-Tec SU16CA which is overall my favorite Carbine. All shots were 150 to 200 yards and they had the stage set up so you had to roll a tractor tire around to different shooting stations and then you could use it as a rest. Except you had to kneel behind it to use it and I couldn't do that so I just shot all the targets off hand. I was 41 for 27 targets. It also uses AR mags so I also have AR Firepower with it.

I also have this AR thing, but it is last on my list of go to guns for Warfare.

Then there's Glocks and 2 PCC Carbines, and various rifles etc. So I am well able to deal with multiple threats.

However what I am lacking is Tactics, and that is what we need to be talking about.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-100464676.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-100464677.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-100464202.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-100464118.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-1450581.jpg  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-06-2020 at 10:41.
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2020, 15:06   #29
Formerly "raf"

As posted elsewhere on this site:

Mission drives Gear. IOW, this is somewhat predictable.

Situation drives Tactics. IOW, this is much more variable, and must be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Marlin 45 carbine and Bepe like this.
Old 07-07-2020, 18:01   #30

Click image for larger version

Name:	M14.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	57484 My old 185 Series Mini 14 is my work horse rifle. it has never let me down.
2rangers, jumpluff, r80rt and 3 others like this.
cavtrpr340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 19:11   #31

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
The "BONE" is a beautiful, very capable aircraft. More capable than many understand.

Not so sure it is the proper weapon for simple street riots. No disrespect.
Bob nothing wrong with over kill you don't have to go back and clean up the mess, it's all nicely burned into the ground whence new life will spring.

KWG: as far as the pellet gun I have been having problems finding suitable targets for my R1. I like Israel alot. Their motto is "Non Acceptus Excreta".

I've got some JSB Pellets that are 25 gr! (Far right ) That gun is super accurate out to 50+ yards and I have actually knocked Rimfire Silhouette Rams down at 100 with it.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-100464627.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-100464657.jpg  
kwg020 and Marlin 45 carbine like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:32   #32

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
As posted elsewhere on this site:

Mission drives Gear. IOW, this is somewhat predictable.

Situation drives Tactics. IOW, this is much more variable, and must be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

If you have been around a bit you all know the Mini 30 is my go to. Ruger American Ranch in x39mm and the 9mm PCC for support. Backed up by a couple of Glock pistols in G19x, 9mm and a G30s, .45 auto. 3 rifles use the same mags and ammo. The PCC and G19x use the same mags and ammo. KISS simple.

I've had a level IIIA armor rig for a couple of years. Only drawback is that it weighs in. Probably not ideal for a multi mile forced march. Maybe manageable when you were 20 something. Paired up with a G30s. I'm waiting on some pistol mag holders. Worst case I'll stuff one of the rifle mag pouches with the pistol mags.

When the Blamtifa fools went nuts I ordered up a more compact setup. Still level III but smaller plates that only cover heart and lung area. Should be much better if forced to bug out. Got about two weeks left of an eight week wait time. I'll post it up when I get it.

Between soft armor and the steel plates I should have enough of a selection where I can choose the gear for the situation.

The Magpul extensions on the Mini factory mags are a must. (another Sandog idea) Most of today's pouches are set up for 30 round AR mags. The extension eliminates "fishing" for the shorter Ruger 20 round mags. Fast and secure extraction.

Little things that can possibly make a difference. Don't be caught flat footed.

Regards Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-dscn4556.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-dscn4557.jpg   Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...-dscn3476.jpg  

Last edited by Bepe; 07-26-2020 at 14:29.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:11   #33
Woods bum

You don't leave that laying around anywhere do ya?
Beck, Bepe and SMOGGUY like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:47   #34

R80.....I bought the gear at AR500 Armor. Keep a watch on their web site. They often have great sales.

The Freeman Carrier package I have on order was on sale for $135 the way I configured it. I hit it lucky because I was looking for something a little more portable. Blamtifa hit and I checked the site. Just happened to have what I wanted on sale.

https://www.ar500armor.com/plate-car...rrier-pkg.html

Only drawback is a heavy wait time. 8 weeks on this order. I just saw current orders are in the 12 week range. Their site went nuts when Blamtifa hit. I ordered the vest and forgot the mag holders. Went back on the site about three hours later and my order # was like 2000 higher than earlier in the day.

Good company that I'll give a thumbs up. Forum member grumpy Old Man turned me on to them.

If you order something make sure to get the curved plates. They fit much better.

Regards Bepe
r80rt, Beck and SMOGGUY like this.

Last edited by Bepe; 07-23-2020 at 13:20.
Old 07-23-2020, 13:14   #35
Woods bum

Thank you sir, I'll be checking in to it. The long order time will be a pain, but I can put a couple of iron skillets in my shirt till then.
Bepe and SMOGGUY like this.
Old 07-23-2020, 13:56   #36

I've got a 12" Lodge I can spot you until......might be heavier than the plate carrier.
Bepe
r80rt likes this.
Old 07-23-2020, 15:18   #37
Woods bum

With my build, I'm partial to the square ones.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-24-2020, 16:15   #38

Best thing we all can do is exercise and stay in shape
r80rt, Bepe and RIBob like this.
potato chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 22:11   #39

Originally Posted by cavtrpr340 View Post
Attachment 57484 My old 185 Series Mini 14 is my work horse rifle. it has never let me down.
Where did you get the bayonet lug for the Mini???? Looks like standard M4 Carbine bayonet.
imarangemaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:45   #40
Formerly "raf"

Proper wear of Hard Armor (with anatomical diagrams) ? LooseRounds.com
Bepe and lordmorgul like this.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:49   #41
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by potato chip View Post
Best thing we all can do is exercise and stay in shape
Good advice. Body armor is not light, and heat builds-up almost instantly.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:41   #42

good to see a shotgun featured as that's my go-to although nearby home is around 250' distant. a slug out the muzzle is easily capable of that. of course I have handguns also.
Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:57   #43

Show your Zombie/ Civil unrest rigs...

Just received an order from CATI Armor, 2wk lead quoted but 4 wk to recv. Turns out the III+ AR600 multi-curved plates were ready with buildup coat in 2 wk as advertised, but carrier was not available. They shipped at 4 wk with wrong carrier color because others I ordered were not and will not be available for many more weeks.

If youíve held out buying armor, stop and do it now. The market is severely impacted and available carriers and plates are dwindling. It could be a lot more than 8 weeks wait when there arenít any left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bepe likes this.

Last edited by lordmorgul; 07-26-2020 at 15:31. Reason: IIIA typo to III+ correction
lordmorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 13:42   #44
Formerly "raf"

Body Armor is an expensive, heavy, and mobility-limiting ensemble of items. Body Armor trades-off Mobility for Protection. The more protective the body armor, the greater the weight, and thus reduced mobility.

Modern US Military is extremely casualty-averse, and so troops are required to wear a complete ensemble of protective equipment which in itself probably weighs close to the full battle load of equipment and ammo ammo load of a WW II GI. The currently-issued armor carrier includes both hard armor plates, and soft armor which further extends protection for some threats.

Body armor is not only heavy, but it traps body heat. In a very hot climate, this can be a serious factor. In cold climates, outer garments need to be sized to fit over body armor, and the ammo/other pouches worn on an external vest/carrier. Notice how modern US troops wear 3-liter water bladders? There's a good reason for that. Right along with ammo replenishment come the water bottles.

It's worth noting that a very few Special-Ops troops can tailor their equipment and body armor to best suit their specific tactical needs. Most troops are not allowed to do so. The increased mobility of the less-encumbered Spec-Op troops adds to their effectiveness, IMHO.

I'm not a subject expert, but I certainly have followed expert posts on the subject elsewhere, and for some time. I also own pretty decent soft-and hard-body armor ensembles, bought some time ago for what now seems very reasonable prices, and from unquestionable sources.

Might I suggest that before taking the plunge into body armor, one takes a good, honest look at one's physical condition? The best shield in the world is useless if one can't carry it.

Also, please be advised that with the current, raging, demand for body armor, there are very likely unscrupulous mfrs/vendors selling non-certified plates and soft armor. There are recognized certifications for all sorts of soft and hard body armor. I suggest familiarizing one's self with such certifications before buying any sort of body armor.

I'm NOT assuming anything about other posters here, and certainly NOT telling them what to buy--or not buy.

I AM suggesting taking a very good, honest look at one's physical condition and level of training before making an expensive purchase. I AM suggesting researching your prospective purchase very thoroughly before plunking down your money. The most expensive body armor in the world is that which fails to protect. Given decent physical condition, I AM suggesting training with your body armor as a matter of course. Walk (fast) a few miles with it, then run a few hundred yards. Use it like it was intended to be used. Wear it on the target range. From what I've seen, might come in handy what with all the jackasses currently showing-up.

If I am a little strident, please forgive me. I am making this post in the effort to help Members here to avoid spending their money unwisely. Also apologize for being wordy. A reasonably full discussion of body armor would take a post far longer than this one. Again, my apologies.
Sparkie and Bepe like this.

Last edited by RIBob; 07-26-2020 at 14:28.
Old 07-26-2020, 14:18   #45

Many points have validity there Bob. One you missed is that body armor stops bullets.

That said I'm of mixed feelings about it. I believe it will have a time and place for deployment. Soft armor naturally is adequate for most pistol caliber bullets. I've got four sets from work. Expiration date of 5 years reportedly, we got a new set issued every 5 years issued by the state. How true is the expire date...I don't know but wouldn't want to be the test dummy with an expired set.I saved the old ones because they have hard ceramic plates in the heart area and will offer a small degree of protection for support people.

Hard armor is naturally a different animal. I bought the set I posted above a couple years ago. I'll agree with you on mobility. The plates weigh in and will certainly impede that. A fixed defense...it will be the ticket.

Realizing the impeded mobility I ordered up a more compact set. The Freeman Series. Smaller plates with heart lung vital coverage. Supposed to get it in a couple weeks and I'll report. It looks promising. I'll give a vote of confidence also to AR500 Armor. A reputable company. Others I can't comment on.

As posted above...situation will dictate response. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also as posted above....keeping in top physical condition is vital. Easy to say and as we get older a little tougher. Do the best you can and that is all we can do.

Bottom line is we are not active duty soldiers....we are the militia. Just as the founding father intended.

Regards Bepe
r80rt, Sparkie and Beck like this.
Old 07-26-2020, 14:38   #46
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Many points have validity there Bob. One you missed is that body armor stops bullets.

That said I'm of mixed feelings about it. I believe it will have a time and place for deployment. Soft armor naturally is adequate for most pistol caliber bullets. I've got four sets from work. Expiration date of 5 years reportedly, we got a new set issued every 5 years issued by the state. How true is the expire date...I don't know but wouldn't want to be the test dummy with an expired set.I saved the old ones because they have hard ceramic plates in the heart area and will offer a small degree of protection for support people.

Hard armor is naturally a different animal. I bought the set I posted above a couple years ago. I'll agree with you on mobility. The plates weigh in and will certainly impede that. A fixed defense...it will be the ticket.

Realizing the impeded mobility I ordered up a more compact set. The Freeman Series. Smaller plates with heart lung vital coverage. Supposed to get it in a couple weeks and I'll report. It looks promising. I'll give a vote of confidence also to AR500 Armor. A reputable company. Others I can't comment on.

As posted above...situation will dictate response. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also as posted above....keeping in top physical condition is vital. Easy to say and as we get older a little tougher. Do the best you can and that is all we can do.

Bepe
Your kind, and useful comments are appreciated. I had to keep my previous point reasonably short for various reasons, but it was still "wordy". I don't disagree with anything you've said, and I'll bet that we have agreement much more than disagreement.
Sparkie and Bepe like this.

Last edited by RIBob; 07-26-2020 at 15:19.
Old 07-26-2020, 15:12   #47

There is a very lengthy and useful thread about body armor options here with extremely valuable info about used, cast-off, and discount sources and the pitfalls of selecting them for your use. Some might find it helpful.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=498169

RIBob likes this.
lordmorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 15:29   #48
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
There is a very lengthy and useful thread about body armor options here with extremely valuable info about used, cast-off, and discount sources and the pitfalls of selecting them for your use. Some might find it helpful.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=498169

Good link. I am by NO Means a Subject Matter Expert (SME), but the comments made within the linked article are generally consonant with my current understanding.
Old 07-28-2020, 15:22   #49

After my range session, I settled on Lake City/Federal M193 5.56 for my load out mags, and sightred the rifle in for the 55s (nailed clay pigeons at 100 yards with 6 o'clock hold with the 55s). For home defense, though, I'm sticking with MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTM SMKs.

It is far better for Home defense, as it blows up in the target and will be much less likely to over penetrate. I know from the past that the POI is about 1 to 1.5 inch different from M193 at 25 yards, and I was always able to hit the 12" gong at 200 yards with either ammo with it sighted in for the 77s.

Considering my farthest possible shot would be less than 50 yards, and more likely 25 yards or less, I can hold dead on in center of mass and get a good hit with the 77s, even though I am sighted in for 55s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzicw0Q8HRg

The above is a great video with MK262 MOD1 gel test. It did this from a 10.5" SVR barrel and still was nasty!
Beck likes this.
imarangemaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 19:26   #50

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
After my range session, I settled on Lake City/Federal M193 5.56 for my load out mags, and sightred the rifle in for the 55s (nailed clay pigeons at 100 yards with 6 o'clock hold with the 55s). For home defense, though, I'm sticking with MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTM SMKs.

It is far better for Home defense, as it blows up in the target and will be much less likely to over penetrate. I know from the past that the POI is about 1 to 1.5 inch different from M193 at 25 yards, and I was always able to hit the 12" gong at 200 yards with either ammo with it sighted in for the 77s.

Considering my farthest possible shot would be less than 50 yards, and more likely 25 yards or less, I can hold dead on in center of mass and get a good hit with the 77s, even though I am sighted in for 55s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzicw0Q8HRg

The above is a great video with MK262 MOD1 gel test. It did this from a 10.5" SVR barrel and still was nasty!
Sounds reasonable. Too bad your 581 doesn't like the 77 gr as much as a 1-in-7 twist does. But at close home defense ranges I'm sure you'll hit where you aim and easily stop any threat with those things.

For home defense with the Mini-30 I like 130 to 135 gr .308 varmint bullets for the same reason... explosive expansion at close range with a muzzle velocity around 2440+ fps.

- Speer 130 gr JHP #2005
- Hornady 130 gr PSP #3020
- Sierra 135 gr JHP #2124

At longer hunting ranges with 7.62x39 velocities the same bullets give more penetration and hold together with a more classic mushroom expansion and weight retention.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote