• 4 Post By jumpluff
  • 3 Post By jumpluff
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By RIBob
  • 1 Post By Aguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2020, 16:17   #1

Ruger Folder Value?

Curious what a factory SS folder in great condition might be worth.
Real world price.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:30   #2
RJF

Couldn't say, but probably a lot less now that A-TM is producing them new.
migyver and Bepe like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 13:29   #3

It will be hard pressed to get more than the $259 Ruger/Samson gets for the new production (exactly the same as originals), unless it is some kind of hard corps Ruger collector.
imarangemaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 04:53   #4
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
It will be hard pressed to get more than the $259 Ruger/Samson gets for the new production (exactly the same as originals), unless it is some kind of hard corps Ruger collector.
Concur, but I have seen hard-core collectors pay astonishing amounts, especially in a bidding/auction environment.

What the new stocks do is supply demand from all the other purchasers, and there are only a certain number of serious collectors.

Of course, the offering from Samson has little impact on those seeking blued folders.

Unless I am mistaken, Ruger can supply stats on how a particular Mini left the factory, so the opportunity of someone passing-off a fake is reduced. That means there is a finite number of Minis that left the factory as folders, and so limited opportunity to "re-create" an original folder that was somehow parted from its original folding stock.

The AVID collector will want what he wants, and there is no accounting for collector's behavior. Still, I concur that the new stocks will most likely drive down, or at least stabilize prices for the real thing.

All the above is pure guesswork on my part.

At least they are new, and without the wear and tear (wobbles and rattles) that worn-out original units might display.

For owners of any OEM, or new Mini folding stock, please consider that the joints of the stock are where the inevitable wear (and subsequent slop) occurs.

If at all possible, place/inject some synthetic CV joint grease into all wearing/moving joints. This will go a long way towards reducing wear and tear on the critical joints. If one finds the joints not friendly to dis-assembly, inject the best possible, thickest, lubricant into the joints, and replace/augment frequently.

You will be glad you did so.
silvermane_1 likes this.

Last edited by RIBob; 06-30-2020 at 11:24.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:34   #5

There are definate differences that any serious Mini 14 collector can detect in a few seconds. The most obvious - The reproductions only come in stainless. Also the mag-well is hogged out to take mini 30 magazines. I dont think the demand for originals is significantly reduced from Ruger collectors. What the reproductions do is give a modern mini owner the option of getting an original configuration factory folder on their newer stainless mini. For now, the factory Blued folders will be totally uneffected. I doubt Samson will be making a blued folder anytime soon. They still have a significant backlog on the Stainless one. I waited over 4 months to get mine.
RIBob likes this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:51   #6
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
There are definate differences that any serious Mini 14 collector can detect in a few seconds. The most obvious - The reproductions only come in stainless. Also the mag-well is hogged out to take mini 30 magazines. I dont think the demand for originals is significantly reduced from Ruger collectors. What the reproductions do is give a modern mini owner the option of getting an original configuration factory folder on their newer stainless mini. For now, the factory Blued folders will be totally uneffected. I doubt Samson will be making a blued folder anytime soon. They still have a significant backlog on the Stainless one. I waited over 4 months to get mine.
Your point about the blued folders is well-taken.
Old 07-02-2020, 16:15   #7

No More

Well the old factory stock won't be $ 800 anymore, not when you can get one from Ruger/Samson for under $ 300
Old 07-02-2020, 18:27   #8

Maybe only worth $600 now
Old 07-03-2020, 08:44   #9
RJF

A true Ruger collector will be able to figure out if the Mini-14 he has in hand left the factory as a folder or not. For one, factory folders had the front swivel on the side (left side, I think): if it is on the bottom of the gas block, it wasn't a folder. Secondly, an easy phone call to Ruger with the S/N and they will tell you. Alternatively (and any collector would do), one can get a Ruger certificate of authenticity that will identify how it left the factory.

I can't imagine A-TM won't come out with a blued version. There should be some sort of stamping in the A-TM stocks that differentiates them from an original, but just don't know. If there is, then original factory folders will still hold their value among collectors.
40nascar likes this.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39   #10

Yep, and ive had the swivel location argument on this forum already. But some people refuse to get over thier ignorance on the matter ( Likely because they got ripped off). I was an FFL dealer at the time when Ruger was producing side folders. All factory folder Mini's had the side swivel mount on the gas block, whether or not it was a GB model.
jumpluff and r80rt like this.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:03   #11

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
Concur, but I have seen hard-core collectors pay astonishing amounts, especially in a bidding/auction environment.

What the new stocks do is supply demand from all the other purchasers, and there are only a certain number of serious collectors.

Of course, the offering from Samson has little impact on those seeking blued folders.

Unless I am mistaken, Ruger can supply stats on how a particular Mini left the factory, so the opportunity of someone passing-off a fake is reduced. That means there is a finite number of Minis that left the factory as folders, and so limited opportunity to "re-create" an original folder that was somehow parted from its original folding stock.

The AVID collector will want what he wants, and there is no accounting for collector's behavior. Still, I concur that the new stocks will most likely drive down, or at least stabilize prices for the real thing.

All the above is pure guesswork on my part.

At least they are new, and without the wear and tear (wobbles and rattles) that worn-out original units might display.

For owners of any OEM, or new Mini folding stock, please consider that the joints of the stock are where the inevitable wear (and subsequent slop) occurs.

If at all possible, place/inject some synthetic CV joint grease into all wearing/moving joints. This will go a long way towards reducing wear and tear on the critical joints. If one finds the joints not friendly to dis-assembly, inject the best possible, thickest, lubricant into the joints, and replace/augment frequently.

You will be glad you did so.
I have to concur aswell, the difference between the Ruger OME sidefolding stock and the Samson ones is the OME ones had bakelite pistol grips, where the Samson ones have polymer pistol grips.
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 15:54   #12

Given how brittle bakelite is, I personally consider the polymer grip a huge plus if the stock will be used in field service.

YMMV
40nascar, RJF, Bepe and 1 others like this.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:20   #13

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
Given how brittle bakelite is, I personally consider the polymer grip a huge plus if the stock will be used in field service.

YMMV
^Very true there jumpluff, but to a collector of OME Ruger stocks the bakelite pistol grip is important.
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21   #14

Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
^Very true there jumpluff, but to a collector of OME Ruger stocks the bakelite pistol grip is important.
Absolutely Silvermane. However if I ever found a reasonably priced OEM folder I would place a period rifle in it and make it a display piece.

For field service I would go with the Samson and an current production rifle.

YMMV
40nascar, Bepe and silvermane_1 like this.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:11   #15
RJF

Displays are almost as bad as safes: "prison for guns"...
jumpluff likes this.
Old 07-19-2020, 13:49   #16

Last night i saw an ATM folder on EBay bidded up to $560. Listed as a factory Ruger. But in the details part listed as ATM. I guess we know what an "Original" is worth now.
Old 07-19-2020, 15:04   #17
Formerly "raf"

Buy an ATM stock: Go for it.

Buy an original Ruger folder: Go for it.

Buy a misrepresented ATM for "Original Ruger folder" prices: "A Fool and His Money are Soon Parted": B Franklin.
hylander likes this.
Old 07-19-2020, 20:03   #18

My blued was bid up to $800 before eBay took it down for being an assault weapon... I've since put it on GunBroker. A stainless was at $400 in eBay before taken down. I've seen a few stainless go for between $400 and $1000. Some idiot bidded $1000 for a Samson reproduction stainless and won....
40nascar likes this.
Aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:51   #19

So all the souvenir paintings of the Mona Lisa devalue the original?
Roverhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 15:07   #20

Well the two I have will be going on GB soon.
We will see what they bring.