• 2 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By kwg020
  • 2 Post By 40nascar
  • 4 Post By Beck
  • 2 Post By RIBob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2020, 06:43   #1

Mini back from ASI need some guidance

Living under the feet of fascist dictators hear in Massghanistan means I’m stuck with a permanent assault weapons ban (thanks Mitt Romney). My 182 series mini 14 has been a project gun and labor of love. After constant tinkering and barrel chopping and threading I decided to have it re barrelled by ASI. I purchased one of their new take off barrels and said make it happen. They did. The install looks perfect. The machining was done nicely.
It took a couple months before I was able to get the mini to the range and since then I’ve had it out 3 or 4 times. The rifle shoots well; however, I cannot get through a 20rd mag without the trigger guard opening up on me. This is a phenomenon that had never happened prior. After the first range trip I removed the trigger group and tightened up the guard in a vice. It helped reduce the frequency but did not stop it from happening. Any thoughts on causes and solutions? I don’t know if excess pressure is slamming the action harder. Or if Ups was less than gentle. Other than the new barrel ASI replaced the recoil spring and added a rear buffer.

-Drew

P.S. This is temporary stock. Waiting for the Samsons to become more available.
[IMG]FE4316D4-8ABD-4D08-91FB-77F21390E0A7 by drew deslauriers, on Flickr[/IMG]
Bepe and SMOGGUY like this.
wmass762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:01   #2
Formerly "raf"

No expert, but I'd say to contact ASI with your issue, and request that they have a look.

Or maybe not.

Rifle seemed OK before their work, and is now UnSat. Probably something they did caused the problem. Or maybe not.

I assume that you tried many different mags? Unlikely that this is the problem, but just trying to eliminate possible issues.

Did you change stocks? Specifically, from a stock that worked well with your magazines, to one which did not?

When you say "...tightened up the guard in a vise", please explain exactly what you did. Please be precise.

Just guessing here, but it is possible that the engagement surfaces on your trigger guard might be worn past the point of positive engagement with the trigger group assembly. Conversely, the engagement points on the trigger group assy might also be worn-out. Or both. Your Mini is an older one, so such wear-and-tear is possible, even likely.

If the trigger guard's rear engagement surfaces seem worn, than a new trigger guard is cheap, and simple to install. Wear on the engagement surfaces of the trigger group assembly probably means a trip back to Ruger for replacement.

Don't despair! this problem can be fixed, although it might--or might not-- be a hassle.

I understand your frustration. Let's get it sorted-out.

No expert, and so submitted for consideration.
wmass762 and SMOGGUY like this.
RIBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:49   #3

It does sound like something is either worn or out of alignment on the engagement surfaces.

What stock is that? Looks like a Choate at first, but doesn't have the ramp up to the rear of the receiver and the adapter to the stock looks to be different.
wmass762 and 40nascar like this.
Waher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2020, 11:31   #4

It's your stock. I had that happen with a Choate, I'd get through maybe half a magazine and the trigger group would fall out. Choate tested it when I sent it back and was having the trigger group fall out on their test Mini as well. They got another stock to work and replaced the first one, but by then I had moved on to an old style Ruger wood stock.

It has to do with the distance of the trigger group to the action, the distance is excessive and the "ears" that hook to the action are having trouble hooking on.
It's not a trigger guard problem, even though bending the trigger guard is what first comes to mind.

As the trigger guard closes, the hooks at the top lock onto the receiver. That distance needs to be reduced. Not easy to get the receiver to sit deeper in the stock, and almost as hard to get the trigger group to rest higher up.
I'd try a different stock, preferably factory, if you have one available and see if you're still having that problem.
r80rt, wmass762, 40nascar and 4 others like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:45   #5

+1 on the stock being the likely issue for the reasons sandog spelled out.

I know of some who've done some artful sanding on the top of the stock so there is less distance between the trigger group and the receiver, but it's tricky and hit or miss. I would use a factory stock until you get a Samson.
r80rt, wmass762, 40nascar and 3 others like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 14:51   #6

Thanks everyone for the responses. I hate typing on a smart phone and the computer was tied up. Otherwise I would've been back sooner. The trigger guard doesn't appear to be worn much. I tried tightening it up thinking the lip was rounded or the steel was just getting tired. This thing takes effort to lock in place now.

The stock is an old Choate folder. I replaced the folding mechanism with an Ace pig nose buffer tube adapter and a homemade plate. This has run perfectly over the last few years since altering it. I think Sandog is on to something with relation of action to trigger group. The trigger guard is tough to secure but it feels like it's tight where it locks in to the action. It gets resistance before the final click on place.

One thing I noticed it the action is no longer sitting flush in the stock. There is a slight gap at the rear. I do think UPS was less than gentle (surprise!) because ASI mentioned my stock assembly was loose and kinda flopping around. I had to tighten it when the rifle returned. I do not have a factory stock but do have a hogue that always work fine. This weekend when I can get back out I will try it in that. One last thing is this issue is not mag specific. It happened with all four of my mags.
Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 06-29-2020, 18:24   #7

Keep us posted on how things go with the Hogue stock. It is notable that you didn't have the trigger guard issue before you sent it to ASI. Since they installed the newer 581 type thicker tapered barrel to your 182 Series receiver the dimensional changes could be just enough to reveal the flaws in the Choate stock. Hopefully all is well with the Hogue stock or a factory stock.

I wouldn't attribute the action no longer sitting flush with rough UPS handling. That would take unusually rough handling. That's more likely a fitting issue from ASI with the new barrel.
wmass762 and 40nascar like this.
Old 06-29-2020, 21:03   #8

A 182 is dimensionally smaller than the 580 series actions. The 182 series is better suited to the older stocks unless you bed them into a new stock. I don't know when the actions increased in size. I assume it was when the Mini 30 was designed. It's not a huge difference but it is very measurable.

kwg
wmass762 likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:52   #9

Also, the trigger group could be messed up if you have ever tried to remove it without cocking the action, and putting the safety on. Just a few thousandths of stretch can cause the problem you describe. And what others here have said: Stick with a factory stock, preferably the one it came with. I have learned my lesson over the years that aftermarket stocks have a poor record of performing as intended. The only one I never had a problem with was the Butler Creek folding stock.
r80rt and Beck like this.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:01   #10
Formerly "raf"

Without seeing OP's stock, I have no idea where such dimensional problems might lie.

Absent careful inspection--and measurements taken from both the suspect stock and a known good one-- I am hesitant to make suggestions as to a solution.

There are many ways of resolving this problem, depending on the cause.

OP, did you send the whole rifle to the ASI, or just the barreled action?
Old 06-30-2020, 17:11   #11

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
Without seeing OP's stock, I have no idea where such dimensional problems might lie.

Absent careful inspection--and measurements taken from both the suspect stock and a known good one-- I am hesitant to make suggestions as to a solution.
It's not that difficult. The clues to the underlying issue are apparent in the OP's two posts. The input by other members based on their experiences are all good leads to a solution.

Anyway, the OP has another stock. If everything works without issue in that stock, and a Samson folder, which is the ultimate goal, then the problem is solved. Let's hope so. If not, there are well known remedies to this not so uncommon problem.
r80rt, 40nascar, sandog and 1 others like this.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:49   #12

Between work, obligations, dad life, and lousy weather I was finally able to get back to the range this morning. Set your sites on exhibit A. One of these things is not like the other ... keep in mind my mini is stainless. One good thing about being home bound is I was able to wait for Midway to send me a new channel liner and cap. Apparently mine disappeared upon re-assembly and seems to be the cause of the trigger guard releasing.
With the new cap and liner installed I was able to fire 100 flawless rounds with 2 magazines. Previously the guard would release after only a few rounds. The action definitely sits tighter in the stock now.

[IMG]D450B7FC-6758-4ACB-96E2-D07046067DAB by drew deslauriers, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 07-19-2020, 08:56   #13
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by wmass762 View Post
Between work, obligations, dad life, and lousy weather I was finally able to get back to the range this morning. Set your sites on exhibit A. One of these things is not like the other ... keep in mind my mini is stainless. One good thing about being home bound is I was able to wait for Midway to send me a new channel liner and cap. Apparently mine disappeared upon re-assembly and seems to be the cause of the trigger guard releasing.
With the new cap and liner installed I was able to fire 100 flawless rounds with 2 magazines. Previously the guard would release after only a few rounds. The action definitely sits tighter in the stock now.

[IMG]D450B7FC-6758-4ACB-96E2-D07046067DAB by drew deslauriers, on Flickr[/IMG]
Delighted to hear that you got the problem fixed, and at relatively little expense/hassle.
Sparkie and wmass762 like this.

Last edited by RIBob; 07-19-2020 at 12:17.