New Mini14 problem - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2020, 19:40   #26

Originally Posted by Jabski View Post
I use the wrong terms, and yous cants spell and.
Right back at you Einstein. Lol
No need to get snippy. Guys here are trying to help you maybe avoid an unnecessary return to Ruger. Much of troubleshooting is process of elimination. If we happen to identify some simple thing you overlooked that is the cause, it will save you time.

Did you change the gas bushing?

The reason I ask and asked about the gas block is because the aftermarket bushings I got were long and had to be trimmed. If you don't get the bushing trimmed enough to fit your block without interference, it can keep the gas pipe from clearing the op rod without dragging. BTDT.

edit: Yeah I spaced that you said it was that way from the start. Have you tried putting the gas block on without the bushing just to see if that changes how the op rod runs?
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 23:05   #27

Thanks. It seems to be cycling better, but who knows, that could be a subjective thing. That’s a good idea about removing it to see though. I may give that a try tomorrow.
I appreciate the suggestion...
Jabski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 14:16   #28

Just a little update....
So I sent this back toRuger on 6-20.
Just got it back. 1 month and 2 days isn’t terrible considering the coved crap and the holiday.
They replaced the slide and the bolt lock.
Haven’t shot it yet, but as soon as I cycled the action I could feel a BIG improvement. Smooth on the way forward.
Like I said before, I had never shot or held one before.
Before, after pulling the slide back and slowly riding it back into battery, there were spots that seemed to drag. Again, I had nothing to reference it against. 3 or places would drag a lot.
Judging by how smooth it feels now, it’s going to shoot just fine.
r80rt likes this.

Old 07-22-2020, 14:55   #29
Woods bum

Ruger will take care of you. Glad you got it back and are happy, you'll love it.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 15:55   #30

But we’ll never know what the mystery was now. And this thread had it all, a who did what mystery, drama, tempestuous dialogue, everything but the cut away love scene, wow. But no exposing of the ‘killer’ during dinner with all the usual suspects. Only the techs at Ruger really know. Oh well, glad you got your rifle running.
r80rt and 40nascar like this.
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 16:24   #31

Wolf recoil spring
potato chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 19:59   #32

Originally Posted by potato chip View Post
Wolf recoil spring
I’ve used Wolff springsa lot in other weapons. But I may keep there stock.I won’t be able to shoot for a week, maybe less soo we’ll see..
I thing the charging handle was the problem, as it’s smooth as silk now when cycling it. It was rough, and dragged in places a LOT on the old one.
Like Baltimoreed alluded to, it really would have been nice to have a short comment with the paperwork saying” charging handle bent” or whatever the problem was.

All I know is how much looser it moves compared to the first one.
Fingers crossed.....
40nascar likes this.
Old 07-24-2020, 20:19   #33

"If you had the Mini taken apart for cleaning, it's possible that the guide rod inside the end of the recoil spring was put in wrong. The pointy tip on that short rod has to be UP, or malfunctions and a rough traveling bolt will muck things up. See pic: "

my first thought too , like I ain't done it ....at times , amongst other [email protected]@@ . I'll also admit to working the angle/wiggle to reinstalling the bolt on minis , I either hit it right on , or mess around like a retard . should be easy but sometimes even a hose clamp may kick my ass. Minis are basic but cool . funny now they cost more now than ARs , never thought I'd see that . I'm old .
Sparkie and 40nascar like this.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:18   #34
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Welcome to the forum, jabski !

"Snip"

If you had the Mini taken apart for cleaning, it's possible that the guide rod inside the end of the recoil spring was put in wrong. The pointy tip on that short rod has to be UP, or malfunctions and a rough traveling bolt will muck things up. See pic:

"Snip"
With respect to your last pic of the "modern" one-position Guide Rod, Is it possible for the inexperienced user to put some paint on the sloping section of the GR, and a matching dab of paint on the receiver?

IOW, "Match the Marks" for correct assembly. Sure, less hassle to RTFM and learn how to do it right, but since the Mini does not often need field stripping, such an "aide-memoir" or "Match Marks" might be useful for some new/inexperienced users.

The mere installation of such "Match Marks", alone, would probably be sufficient to jog their memory in the future.

I know it is far better to RTFM, and practice this procedure, but this situation apparently occurs with some frequency, hence this admittedly imperfect suggestion.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:17   #35

Keep the sandpaper and Dremel away from the Mini
r80rt, Sparkie, 40nascar and 1 others like this.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:28   #36

You forgot jbweld, machine lathes, drill presses and rattlecans if you don’t know what you’re doing or trying to create.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mini14 problem-890fc052-b729-4a7f-9eff-4c25352a7713.jpg   New Mini14 problem-4cd9648a-d3c1-4bb2-92a8-aee8a26f53e6.jpg  
Sparkie and RJF like this.

Last edited by Baltimoreed; 08-07-2020 at 15:38.
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote