Mini 14 low profile red dot sight recommendation - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 17:36   #1

Mini 14 low profile red dot sight recommendation

Lurking for a while and looking for input on a low profile red dot sight for a stainless ranch rifle with synthetic stock. Thanks all!
The
Donm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:02   #2

Welcome, Don.
A dot is only going to be a low as the mounts that are available for it.
And you aren't going to mount a dot, any dot, over the action and have it as low as possible. Mounting it on a Scout rail like the Ultimak will get it a good 1/2" lower than mounting it over the action.

Some good small dots are the Bushnell TRS-25 (less than $100), the Primary Arms Micro (a bit over $100), the Burris Fastfire III ( $200 to $230) or the Vortex Venom ($ 230). These can be had in a 3MOA dot, anything larger is meant for close in pistol use.

The risers included with many dots today are meant for ARs and put the dot up way too high for a Mini. I run the FastFire in a Burris "Protector" mount. That mount puts the dot up a tad higher but wraps around the sight for the best protection.

I like the T.V. screen type dots better than the tube type, they are smaller, lighter, and offer better peripheral vision.
You can see from these two pics how the Ultimak keeps the optic lower, the scope mounted on the Ultimak is as low as can be:

There are about a half dozen advantages to the Ultimak besides low mounting.
As you can see , I like the Fastfire/Ultimak combo !
RJF, Beck, Bepe and 3 others like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:18   #3

I have the Primary Arms microdot mounted on the rail that came with my mini 14. Nice compact setup. Brass doesn't hit the base and so far it's held zero very well.
r80rt, sandog, FrankMc and 1 others like this.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2020, 03:15   #4

Guy, thanks for the advise, just what I needed!
sandog likes this.
Old 06-16-2020, 17:01   #5

Mine is a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted to a Warne Rail which picks up the Ruger Scope Mounts.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails
Mini 14 low profile red dot sight recommendation-100464991.jpg   Mini 14 low profile red dot sight recommendation-100464992.jpg   Mini 14 low profile red dot sight recommendation-100464990.jpg  
r80rt, RJF and SMOGGUY like this.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:27   #6

Might not be the best low profile but I have used two of these for many years along with several Burris FFIII's and it has been dependable and I really like the 4 recticle options. Just looked at eBay closed and many went for $50-100 with a few bringing $200. Here is an example (not my auction) that might go for CHEAP! I think mine weighs around 8oz including mount. Currently using one on my Mech Tech 10mm with extended bases that co-witness with the flip up sights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightron-S3...sAAOSwxDBe52F5
Jazzsax8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 17:09   #7

I like the Sig Romeo 5 on mine. It’s mounted on the factory rail. The shake awake feature is nice and it’s 2 moa
Attached Thumbnails
Mini 14 low profile red dot sight recommendation-80445208-1f4c-45c9-8cac-cdc3a91572a2_1592525305858.jpg  
r80rt, GAMEOVER and W.R.Buchanan like this.
bmur66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 17:47   #8

We are lucky in this day and age to see micro red dot sights getting better and better.
All of the sights mentioned here perform great.

But a common theme of all the sights shown is that when mounted over the action, either on the factory rail or one like the GG&G, they are too high up.
The Mini has some drop to the stock to work well with the low irons, mounting an optic, ANY optic over the action gives you a chin weld instead of a cheek weld.

When you throw the Mini up to your shoulder, you want to be looking right through the center of your optic's screen. It's unnatural to have to shoulder the gun, then have to take time to scoot your head up on the stock to see through the optic.

Using the factory rail is the inexpensive way to do things, but $140 invested in an Ultimak railed handguard will be the best thing you can do to make your sighting system seamless, natural and fast.
PFerris, Beck and SMOGGUY like this.
Old 06-19-2020, 20:12   #9

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
We are lucky in this day and age to see micro red dot sights getting better and better.
All of the sights mentioned here perform great.

But a common theme of all the sights shown is that when mounted over the action, either on the factory rail or one like the GG&G, they are too high up.
The Mini has some drop to the stock to work well with the low irons, mounting an optic, ANY optic over the action gives you a chin weld instead of a cheek weld.

When you throw the Mini up to your shoulder, you want to be looking right through the center of your optic's screen. It's unnatural to have to shoulder the gun, then have to take time to scoot your head up on the stock to see through the optic.

Using the factory rail is the inexpensive way to do things, but $140 invested in an Ultimak railed handguard will be the best thing you can do to make your sighting system seamless, natural and fast.
Agreed!
sandog likes this.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:43   #10

I like that Ultimak.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:19   #11

Besides keeping the optic low where it should be, it also keeps anything from being right over the action and bolt. No worries of brass hitting the optic, and removal of the bolt for cleaning is easier.
It also makes it easier to carry the Mini right at the balance point without an optic being in the way:

The Ultimak also acts as an additional heat sink in the way that a strut does.
I'd love to have an ACOG or Primary Arms prism scope on one of my Minis, but because they only have a 3-4 inch eye relief, it would have to be mounted (high) over the action.

The best advantage an Ultimak gives you though, is vastly increased peripheral vision.
In a combat situation, even a hunting situation, you can see everything downrange with the optic not right up against your head, and shoot with both eyes open.
Sparkie, SMOGGUY, Donm and 1 others like this.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:48   #12

Ultimak says must be used with tip in optics. It appears to be how the optic is installed on the rail. Any clarification?
Tia,
Donm

Last edited by Donm; 06-21-2020 at 05:51.
Old 06-22-2020, 16:11   #13

I have the Ultimak on my Mini14, and while I donít know how low it is to others, my Holosun GR510C is pretty nice.
It mounts on the Ultimak rock solid and holds zero well.
For my eyes, the green is easier to see.
I had an Eotech on an AR,and a Kobra on my Vepr2.
While the were good sights, I ended up liking the green on the Holosun much better than the red.
sandog likes this.
Jabski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 18:19   #14

Donm... the Ultimak M4-S made for use on newer model Minis, is not open on either end of the rail. So the clamping system of the optic must open wide enough to 'tip on' the rail sideways , then lock down. Most optics or scope rings will do this no problem.
W.R.Buchanan, sandog and Donm like this.
MJM59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:47   #15
RJF

I use a TRS-25 on the front-end of the Ruger-supplied rail. No problems at all although I'm seriously considering an Ultimak on my Tactical...
W.R.Buchanan and sandog like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 13:06   #16
Formerly "raf"

It's generally worthwhile to buy a decent, low cost red-dot sight to see if the sight concept works well.

If so, there are some other aspects to consider if one wants to proceed further.

First and foremost is the reputation of the mfr, and their warranty.

Next is whether the sight is certified to be waterproof, or "water-resistant" Big difference.

Next is the size of the "dot" . Pistols can have a fairly large dot, on account of the expected range, while rifles will generally take a much smaller dot, for same reasons.

Battery life is also worth considering; the longer, the better. "Shake-Awake" sights have advantages, albeit at extra cost.

Some users of red-dot sights, and similar optics, report that the wider the diameter of the device, the better. Others seem to prefer more-or-less "rectangular" optics. Both devices, it is claimed offer, better visibility of the immediate target area, and enhanced situational awareness.

Not suggesting anything at this point, since I have much to learn. However, quality and useful features come at a price. Your simple red-dot, used as a testing device might not b what you want mounted on your rifle when things get serious.

YMMV, of course.
Donm likes this.

Last edited by RIBob; 06-30-2020 at 06:23.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 16:41   #17
Marine

Originally Posted by Donm View Post
Lurking for a while and looking for input on a low profile red dot sight for a stainless ranch rifle with synthetic stock. Thanks all!
The
I did a photo comparison:

Full discussion can be found here:
https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...o-witness.html
r80rt likes this.
"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards." W. Butler
butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 17:42   #18

Mini 14 low profile red dot sight recommendation

Burris with ultimak rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandog and Donm like this.

Last edited by Mamiela; 06-24-2020 at 18:11.
Mamiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 13:17   #19
Formerly "raf"

Concur with sandog's comments that getting any optic down low as humanly possible is VERY much worth doing.

Like he said, obtaining a natural, instinctive, no-messing-around cheek weld is supremely important.

He's entirely correct. Nothing else to be said, IMHO.
sandog likes this.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:24   #20

Originally Posted by bmur66 View Post
I like the Sig Romeo 5 on mine. It’s mounted on the factory rail. The shake awake feature is nice and it’s 2 moa
This thread has convinced me that I must have an Ultimak heat shield/rail on my mini 14. I don't like having to remove my red dot to be able to remove the bolt for cleaning. Ultimak looks like the way to go for multiple reasons. I have back ordered one. Hopefully they get caught up soon. I have the gun disassembled as I machined the gas block to accept a QD sling mount. I don't want to put it back together until I have the Ultimak but I may have too.
I may need to try some recoil buffers too.
Jazzsax8 and sandog like this.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:25   #21
Formerly "raf"

This thread has convinced me that I must have an Ultimak heat shield/rail on my mini 14. I don't like having to remove my red dot to be able to remove the bolt for cleaning. Ultimak looks like the way to go for multiple reasons. I have back ordered one. Hopefully they get caught up soon. I have the gun disassembled as I machined the gas block to accept a QD sling mount. I don't want to put it back together until I have the Ultimak but I may have too.
I may need to try some recoil buffers too.
While you have the gas block off, it might be of benefit to you to consider changing-out the gas bushing/gas orifice for a smaller one. Considerable benefits to doing so.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:34   #22

Originally Posted by RIBob View Post
While you have the gas block off, it might be of benefit to you to consider changing-out the gas bushing/gas orifice for a smaller one. Considerable benefits to doing so.
Yes. I have already done that. Was having ejection issues with my new mini so I went back to factory size. Was not the problem and I ended up sending it back to Ruger for repair. It runs properly now. I will probably put a .050 back in it
Old 06-30-2020, 07:11   #23
Formerly "raf"

Yes. I have already done that. Was having ejection issues with my new mini so I went back to factory size. Was not the problem and I ended up sending it back to Ruger for repair. It runs properly now. I will probably put a .050 back in it
Well done.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:52   #24

FYI my gun does not like a smaller bushing. Had a couple FTE's. I put the factory size back in and I am staying with it.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:10   #25

FYI my gun does not like a smaller bushing. Had a couple FTE's. I put the factory size back in and I am staying with it.
What ammo were you using? Did you check the fps?

I just ran through some Remington factory stuff that almost dribbled out at my feet, with an occasional next round not picked up by the bolt. Really underpowered stuff, while the equivalent load from Armscore was ejecting reliably 12'-15' and running like a champ.
RIBob likes this.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote