• 4 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By imarangemaster
  • 4 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By Timberdog
  • 2 Post By imarangemaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 09:26   #1

Talking Mini-14 magazine inventory

Well I finally dug the "Ruger stuff" box out of storage to get the mags I kept, and completed my Mini-14 inventory Most are here in Commiefornia (pre-ban and Freedom Week) and some went to Oregon when I got the gun on Gun Broker. I think I have the disease of "magazineacquisitionitus"! As a rule, I usually keep most of the mags when I sell a weapon.

(1) PMI 40, nickel plated with square mag lug welded on like factory 30s
(7) Ruger factory 30s
(8) Ruger factory 20s
(1) Ruger factory 10 rounder
(7) Tapco Gen II 30s, black
(7) Tapco Gen II 10/30s, FDE
(1) no-name 20 of questionable heritage.

I am thinking I may want to keep 6 of the Tapco 30s loaded with Lake City M193 my Galati Int. 6-Pack grab (shoulder) bag. The weapon will have IMI MK262 MOD 1 77s in it, and iron sights for HD. The longest possible shot at my house would be 50 yards. I'll have a Factory 10 or 20 rounder in it, with a 30 rounder to stick in my back pocket for back up.

IIRC from my 583, the M193 prints about 3"-4" different from the 77s at 100 yards. I may get a Tech sight so that I can just adjust 3 or 4 clicks when switching ammo. If I don't get a tech, I may split the difference, with 77s two inches right and 55s two inches left of center. Still good for 200 yard dead on hold for torso size targets.
jumpluff, Beck, Timberdog and 1 others like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 16:29   #2
Glass Half-Full Member

Nice collection. I was diagnosed with "magazineacquisitionitus" in 2017 by my long-time regular doctor (who is an avid gun enthusiast himself). At this time there is no known cure or treatment for the condition.
jumpluff, r80rt, chill1955 and 1 others like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 18:45   #3

I digging, I found my Rhodesian "Sealous Scouts" Fereday chest rig. It holds 8 of the Ruger 20 rounders in 4 pouches. It is the original chest rig. They were designed by a Rhodesian sporting goods company for the military. They hold 4 FN-FAL, HK G3, or M14 magazines. They neatly hold 8 20 rounders, including AR mags. Mine's a repop, and costabout $30 a couple years ago. I think they are still under $40 now.
r80rt likes this.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:45   #4

FLV with Taco pouches for 30s:

Galati Int. 6-pack for 30s:

Fereday pouch for 20s:

Old 06-14-2020, 05:33   #5

I feel mag poor now.
wmass762 likes this.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:04   #6
Temp Banned!

You may want to increase your stock of factory 10 rnd mags for carrying around on public land in the PRK.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:00   #7

Actually update my count to nine factory 20s. I found another one in an ammo can of 5.56 filled with M855 Green Tip. That's 8 in the Faredey rig and one in the weapon for 180 rounds....
r80rt and RJF like this.
Old 06-19-2020, 16:10   #8
Formerly "raf"

Oh, just going from fairly recent memory, I have 3x Ruger 30-rd mags, 6 PMI 20-rd mags, 6 PMI 30-rd mags, and probably 5 or so Thermolds. I have a bunch of Ruger 5-rd mags, and some new-bought 10-rd mags, bought in advance of/in case of a State Ban on mags of higher capacity. Need to test the latter, but the springs were definitely oiled.

Also have half-dozen no-name mags which >>look<< good, afrer dis-assembly, compared with known GTG mags. Need to test these latter.

FWIW, all this came about because of my doing maintenance on a hell of a lot of pistol and rifle mags that have been in long-term airtight storage.

The only issue I found was the slightest hint of rust on some mag springs that had not been previously coated with a very thin film of CLP. Mind you, the unmaintained, non-coated mag springs survived probably 10 years in a dry. plastic-bagged environment. As against that, they were brand-new when put into storage, probably with no oil on the springs whatsoever.

All of the mags intended for the 5.56 Mini had springs that were GTG, as far as length goes. Quite of the ctg followers needed some minor, perhaps middlin' remediation, mostly elimination of sharp edges and plastic extrusions on the followers that could cause drag on the follower/mag body interface.

Not all MINI aftermarket 30-rd mag followers will accept common AR-15 30 rd mag springs. It appears that there is a difference in the location of the hole for the spring in some of the aftermarket followers. So, do NOT assume easy mag spring or follower replacement for your aftermarket mags. To reiterate: Some 30-rd mag followers will accept common AR-style 30-rd mag springs; some will not. Examine what you have, and plan/accordingly. Springs wear out due to use, and corrosion, not storage. May I suggest planning ahead?

Submitted for your consideration.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:53   #9
RJF

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Actually update my count to nine factory 20s. I found another one in an ammo can of 5.56 filled with M855 Green Tip. That's 8 in the Faredey rig and one in the weapon for 180 rounds....
Just a piker!

Lost count, but greater than 20 factory 20s, close to the same number with OE 20s, two factory 30s for toying with, and four five and six ten rounders (two of which are Rugers, the others Masen) - which I'm still toying with. Not a fan of the Masens, yet, without modifying/toying with.

Then again, I've got three Mini-14s to feed, in varying locations, so the mags are dispersed with them.

All are loaded up and have been since receipt/initial cleaning.
But you knew that!
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote