• 1 Post By r80rt
  • 2 Post By sandog
  • 2 Post By r80rt
  • 2 Post By r80rt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 18:27   #1
Woods bum

Mini 30 Plans

Hi gentlemen, I haven't been on the forum in a while, but in the last few days I've been lurking and catching up. A few month's back I had a conversation with Sandog on firing pin protrusion and thought I'd share what I've found out since I got a FP gauge. My Mini 30 582 series shipped with a pin protrusion of .038, I've since fitted it to .042 and it's been 100% on red army standard and my reloads. I have also fitted a spare pin and picked up an extra extractor to keep on hand. For the record my mini 14 hasn't been fired since I got the M30. Hope the world has been treating you good.
curt mini14, sandog, Beck and 1 others like this.

Last edited by r80rt; 09-01-2020 at 04:45.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 18:51   #2
Glass Half-Full Member

Looks like a good plan...
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 20:35   #3

Looking good, I especially like the 1911 holster.
So when are you going to ditch the Ruger hand guard and get a Choate ?
Or an Ultimak !
r80rt, curt mini14 and Beck like this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2020, 04:22   #4

Mini 30......don't get any better.

I've got the same holster. El Paso Saddlery Tanker. An excellent holster that makes carrying a heavy sidearm effortless. The only feature I don't like is the retention strap goes over and depresses the grip safety. Guess it doesn't matter...but they should have designed it differently.

I was on the AR500 body armor web site the other day placing an order for some mag holders. A couple hours later I realized I had forgot to order a vest holster for my Glock. Got back on and ordered. Order number was 400 and something orders higher than my first order number two hours earlier.

Looks like the populace is gearing up for Plan B.

Bepe
r80rt, curt mini14, sandog and 1 others like this.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:57   #5
Woods bum

Haha, well I have a Choate, but I'm a lefty and short armed. My thumb naturally wants to rest on the OP rod, so I stick with the factory hand guard. I did replace it with one from a later series, they are much lighter and a little less bulky than the older ones. I really don't need the Ultimak yet, the Tech sights are working fine for me now.
Thanks on the 1911 holster, it's not an El Paso and luckily the strap doesn't press the grip safety on this one.
It's a gun show find marked U.S. SEMS 43, it's a repro, but it's a good one.
sandog and Bepe like this.

Last edited by r80rt; 06-07-2020 at 06:01.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:22   #6

I'm a lefty as well, the exposed op-rod has never been a problem.
You'd have to be gripping the fore end pretty hard to slow down the op-rod or hurt your thumb.
r80rt, curt mini14 and Beck like this.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:31   #7
Woods bum

No, it doesn't hurt, but it is distracting and annoying. The factory one just works better for me. I agree that the Choate is a better choice for most folks, I may have to dig it out and give it another try.
Beck likes this.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:15   #8
Woods bum

This is why I don't use optics on my Mini, these are taken from my front door. I have a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot, but I find the tech sights easier for me to use in this thick stuff.
jumpluff, chill1955, Beck and 1 others like this.

Last edited by r80rt; 09-01-2020 at 04:46.
Old 06-07-2020, 23:58   #9
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
This is why I don't use optics on my Mini, these are taken from my front door. I have a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot, but I find the tech sights easier for me to use in this thick stuff.

Those areas in front look like a good place to setup some Vietnam era foo gas for unfriendlies that might try to use it as cover.

https://youtu.be/adk9WLJKzC4
r80rt and Bepe like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:24   #10

You must have eyes like a cat. Even when I was younger, I realized that a dot is easier to use in every respect and much quicker than irons of any type.

One thing for your eye to acquire instead of two, and that one thing glows, so is 100 times better in low light, which is kind of a characteristic of the thick stuff.

And with a dot, not having to get the front sight positioned correctly in the center of the rear sight, if you can even see the tip of the front sight in less than optimal light.
r80rt likes this.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:49   #11
Woods bum

Well, my front sight is painted fluorescent orange and I concentrate on it, the eye will automatically center the rear. I have astigmatism and the red dot is a blur to me, if I go with an optic I'll need a prismatic type. I know a lot of people swear by red dots but I can't use them, and the irons get the job done. Peeps are the only open sights I can still use, I'll hang with them as long as I can.

Last edited by r80rt; 06-08-2020 at 05:06.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:51   #12
Woods bum

Originally Posted by Beck View Post

Those areas in front look like a good place to setup some Vietnam era foo gas for unfriendlies that might try to use it as cover.

My dogs have a version of booby trap, they leave it all over the place
sandog, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:12   #13

I also have some paint on my front sights, yellow, or I wouldn't be able to pick it up at all against some dark backgrounds.
I like peeps and have them on all my levers and .22's.
I can still shoot good with peeps as a smaller aperture in them makes the front sight fairly sharp at my age.

But rabbits, javelina and deer don't shoot back.
On my Minis which would get pressed into use on 2 legged varmints, I want every advantage I can get.
The dot is just way faster, better on moving targets and better in low light.

For small game, fun at the range and the occasional deer or javelina hunt, I love my peeps though. My eyes might eventually get bad enough that I have to put dots or scopes on everything, but a lever gun just doesn't look right with an optic.

I also have a peep on my Nylon 66, keeps it light and handy, and I can hit well as far as I need to with it.
r80rt, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:12   #14

Double Post

Last edited by sandog; 06-08-2020 at 05:15. Reason: double post
Old 06-08-2020, 05:21   #15
Woods bum

I've tried the red dot on my M30, but to my eye the dot is a fuzzy shooting star, not good at all. I'll have to go with an etched reticle if I use one.
sandog likes this.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:50   #16

I had an EOTech on an AR about ten years ago, and it seemed very, very fuzzy.
Just a few years previous and the Eotech was O.K.
I can still see the dot clearly on the FastFires and the various Aimpoints.
One thing that helps reduce "flare" is if you can turn down the dot's intensity. When I turn my dot brightness down to low, it helps it to appear sharper and more round, compared to when it's on high.

Another option are the excellent Primary Arms scopes that have a dot reticle, the prism model I own has an adjustable diopter ring on the eyepiece, so guys with less than optimal vision can dial it in to their liking.
The only downside is they are a lot heavier and bigger than a micro dot, as big as a scope. This is the 3x prism on my 7.62 x 39 AR.
r80rt and Bepe like this.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:15   #17
Woods bum

Yes I'm looking at the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism Scope, Most of them sit too high for a mini even without the riser. I've tried several red dots looking for one that works for me and an etched reticle is what I will need use. I have an old steel tube 2.5 power weaver that works better for me than any red dot I've tried. Maybe I'll find one someday, I'm not in a rush.
Beck and Bepe like this.

Last edited by r80rt; 06-08-2020 at 13:18.
Old 06-08-2020, 13:22   #18
Woods bum

Originally Posted by Beck View Post

Haha, I just thought of something else Beck. If unfriendlies do venture in to this area, Well, I'm not in these woods alone and the hills have eyes!
Beck and Bepe like this.