• 2 Post By sandog
  • 3 Post By r80rt
  • 1 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By Gray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 15:23   #1

New 581 Series Stainless Mini-14 Range report

Had a chance to run out to some BLM land and pop a few rounds from the new Mini. Ammo was 77 Grain MK262 MOD1 reload clones. Magazine was Tapco 30 rounder (I know the Ruger factory 20s and 30s I have work fine!). 50 rounds loaded/fired from the Tapco with zero problems. They are ugly, but light weight and reliable.

I used iron sights shooting at dirt clods and misc stuff at 75 to 100 yards, leaning across the roof of the car., Seemed to be pretty much dead on windage wise, but maybe shooting a tad low. I will adjust the sights when I can use a rest and some paper. With front and rear buffers, it was a joy to shoot, and seemed to be no worse than the M1 Carbine (which I also shot!)

Ejection of brass was uniformly about 2 o'clock, and about 7-8 feet. These are hefty loads, so I am going to check and see if it has a reduced bushing. If it does have a non-factory bushing, I'll see how it does with my factory M193 and M193 clone reloads. If it stays reliable with those, I won't mess with it.

The trigger pull was absolutely sweet.... but I had three light primer strikes which had to be reloaded and cycled a second time to fire. In fact, checking all of the cases, they showed shallow primer strikes on all. The primers are hard CCI #41s made for AR15 loads, so that could be a factor. I doubt that it is a headspace issue, as the cases showed no signs of it or pressure. that means either the firing pin is a bit short, or the hammer spring has been trimmed of a couple coils, or replaced with a lighter one to give it lighter trigger pull..

I plan on pulling it apart to check firing pin protrusion. If it is fine, and not gummed by carbon, I think I will replace the hammer spring. Anyone know how many coils the factory hammer spring has? If it has been trimmed, I can offset the loss with a small washer spacer to tighten it until I get a factory spring.

All in all, considering that I only paid about $400 for it after deducting the stack of mags and accessories that came with it, I am happy. When you get a used gun, you also get the prior owner's tinkering!
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 15:30   #2

Since you stated that the trigger let off is about #3
The light primer strikes could be from the original owner tinkering with
the hammer spring.
Possible the hammer spring has had a coil or so removed from it.
imarangemaster and Mini71 like this.
Old 06-01-2020, 18:15   #3

Looks like a full length hammer spring (15 coils, probably a Wolff, as a factory has 14, IIRC). Checked the firing pin protrusion. BINGO! Probably about .025" if that. Interestingly enough, the firing pin "tail" does not seem to go all the way into the rectangular notch in the bottom of the bolt. Possibly there is carbon fouling in the front of the firing pin channel in the face of the bolt (common from shooting a lot of dirty burning Russian steel case .223), preventing the firing pin from going all the way forward. Also possible that the notch in the side of the firing pin that engages the extractor shank may be slightly short, also preventing the full forward travel of the firing pin.

Tomorrow I plan of disassembling the bolt and see if it is either case. If necessary, I'll order a new firing pin if it is neither case.
Beck likes this.

Old 06-01-2020, 18:23   #4
Glass Half-Full Member

Stock Mini-14/30 springs I've seen have 15 coils, including the flat end-coils, but that could have varied over time. Could have been different in the past or different now. They may have used different combinations of coil thickness and number of coils over the years. Whatever spring is currently in stock is the right spring. Beyond that it's hard to know.
r80rt and imarangemaster like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 18:57   #5

The spring seems plenty strong. With .025" being minimum on the firing pin specs, I seriously doubt if it is even that. I was amazed how little protruded when I pulled the bolt! The replacement Mini-14 firing pins have the recess on the side of the firing pin almost full length. Ruger has a short recess that can bind with the shank of the extractor.
Old 06-01-2020, 20:10   #6

Disassembled the bolt. I was only getting about .020" protrusion on firing pin. Squared of the front of the tail of the firing pin, and got about .025" now. Ordered an oversized firing pin from Glend Arms from Midway for $35.00 I'll trim it to about .035" for reliability even with steel case. I also added a new Ruger factory recoil spring. Since I don't know how many miles this one has since it was built in 2009. I am not a fan of Wolff recoil springs on MIni-014s and M1 carbines. I stick with original.

My last firing pin (for my last Mini-30) I got from Firing Pins.com, but their prices have gotten stupid high ($65-$71). That is just ridiculously expensive, so I went with Glend for just over half that price.
Old 06-01-2020, 20:23   #7

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Stock Mini-14/30 springs I've seen have 15 coils, including the flat end-coils, but that could have varied over time. Could have been different in the past or different now. They may have used different combinations of coil thickness and number of coils over the years. Whatever spring is currently in stock is the right spring. Beyond that it's hard to know.
This is probably an original then. I don't see any buggering of the trigger group that you usually see when a novice takes it apart.

Can't wait to get the 2.5x Banner scope to try and see what my loads can do. Iron sights with eyes as bad as mine are a poor way to judge load potential.
Old 06-10-2020, 14:31   #8

Got the new Ruger factory recoil spring and firing pin from Midway. The recoil spring in it is over 5/8th inch shorter than the new one, showing a fair amount of use. That could explain why the action and trigger are so smooth. Nice and broken in.

The firing pin I took out didn't even make the minimum .028" after de-burring the inside of the bolt, and working on the tail of the firing pin. The new one dropped in and measured .037". I hit it with some emory and took it to .035/.036. Fired a round with a hard CCI #41 primer in the back yard, and it had a perfect firing pin indentation. I'm guessing I won't have any more light primer hits.
r80rt likes this.
Old 06-10-2020, 17:45   #9

So, is Glend Arms making better firing pins than in years passed ? It seemed they lasted 3 or 4 rounds and they were broke.

kwg
sandog and imarangemaster like this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 18:05   #10

Time will tell.
Old 06-10-2020, 18:36   #11
Glass Half-Full Member

So, you got the Glend Arms pin rather than the firingpins.com stainless pin?
Old 06-10-2020, 18:39   #12

Yep, at this point I thought $35 was better than $80. My last was firing pins.com I paid like $59 for (which I though was a bit outrageous back then), but they have jacked up their prices stupid high! I'll give Glend a chance.. Besides, Midway will make it good if it breaks. These are made of tool steel, not hardened casting. Good ratings at Midway. The only complaint was that people though it would be drop in! 4 1/2 stars.
Old 06-10-2020, 22:23   #13
Glass Half-Full Member

Well, let us know when it breaks. (notice I didn't say "if" it breaks)

Ya know I'm ribbing ya.

Seriously though, the firing pin is one thing I would not skimp on unless you're a bench rest shooter for sport and not worried about WSHTF. In HD/SD situations that pin will bend or break at the worst possible moment, rendering your defensive weapon utterly useless.

I bought my firingpins.com pins when they were cheaper. I'm not thrilled that they've gone up in price so much either, but I would still lay down the $72.50, which includes shipping cost direct from firngpins.com.

Think about how much your peace of mind is worth and that little bit of savings for the inferior Glend Arms pin starts looking petty insignificant. The firingpins.com come pin is IMO better quality than even the original Ruger pin. Is your peace of mind worth an extra 30 bucks? Mine certainly is.

Not being critical... just trying to give the best advice I can because I truly do care about the well being of my friends here at Perfect Union during these troubling times.

I confess I've been tempted to try the Glend Arms pin myself and really wanted to like it, but decided against it based on it's construction and overwhelming bad reviews.

Be safe and be ready for anything, my friend.

https://www.firingpins.com/ruger-min...iring-pin-2470
r80rt, 40nascar and sandog like this.
Old 06-11-2020, 00:57   #14
Temp Banned!

Well said brother Beck. An $800 mini deserves better than a "Blue light special" firing pin. I would send the mini back to Ruger and have them pay the shipping and replacement part.
sandog and Beck like this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:45   #15

I do not consider the Glend a "Blue Light Special" Research as I may, I can not find any actual reports of one breaking. About 12 years ago, I found a reference to an early flat style firing pin (apparently flat on both sides) breaking, but on the same token, I did find reference to Ruger factor ones breaking. I would need actually cases (more than one) to make me rethink.

I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree.
Beck likes this.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:48   #16

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Time will tell.
I wonder if sending your pin to 430 Below and get it frozen will toughen up the metal without making it brittle ?

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 14:09   #17
Glass Half-Full Member

I do not consider the Glend a "Blue Light Special" Research as I may, I can not find any actual reports of one breaking. About 12 years ago, I found a reference to an early flat style firing pin (apparently flat on both sides) breaking, but on the same token, I did find reference to Ruger factor ones breaking. I would need actually cases (more than one) to make me rethink.

I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree.

I haven't gathered the reports of the Glend Arms pin bending or breaking as reported in reviews and in many forums including this one that I've seen over the last few years. There are countless reports. But you don't really have to look at those reports or even be aware of them. By the way, there are zero reports of the Firingpins.com pin breaking.

All we have to know is how it's made to make the smart decision to choose the best pin.

Specs from the manufacturers...

Glend Arms Pin #241:

- Non-hardened carbon tool steel
- Two piece construction, brazed together
- Not corrosion resistant

Firingpins.com Pin #2470: (AKA Iron Sight Precision pin)

- Machined one piece 17-4 Stainless Steel (SAE Type 630)
- Hardened by heat treating to H900 condition
- Corrosion resistant

The brazed joint is where the Glend Arms pin often fails (see pic). The tip of the pin is also reported to bend or break. The shorter the protrusion the better as long as it meets spec, reliably igniting the primer every time. But it's still softer steel than the original Ruger pin and the firingpins.com pin. It will wear faster even if you luck out and it doesn't break.

Cost:

Glend Arms pin from Midway:
Price: $34.99
Ship: $5.49
Tax: $2.53 (for Illinois. Your tax may differ)
Total: $43.01

Firingpins.com pin from manufacturer website:
Price: $65.00
Ship: $7.50
No Tax
Total: $72.50

Difference in price: $29.49

So for about 30 bucks more you get the best Mini-14/Mini-30 firing pin on the market. Peace of mind and complete confidence in your weapon is worth many times that.

So there's my reasoning and why I passed on the Glend Arms pin. We can agree to disagree as gentlemen, of course... absolutely, and be friends. But bookmark this thread for reference for WHEN your Glend Arms pin breaks. I'm praying it's not in the middle of a firefight that it goes south, for your sake.

PS: You can save $1.50 for the Firingpins.com pin if you buy it on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Mini-...YAAOSwPc9WzfS2
Attached Thumbnails
New 581 Series Stainless Mini-14 Range report-glendarms-break.jpg  
r80rt, 40nascar and sandog like this.

Last edited by Beck; 06-11-2020 at 14:32.
Old 06-11-2020, 15:18   #18

I thought everybody knew to avoid Glend Arms pins. They always break soon, ALWAYS.
Don't waste your money.
40nascar and Beck like this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 18:01   #19

Well, I guess I'm not everybody...we will see, won't we. Brownells and Midway sell a lot of Glend firing pins. BTW, Midway told me the new Glend firing pins are one piece, and no longer brazed.
Old 06-11-2020, 18:48   #20
Woods bum

Accuracy systems has Ruger OEM firing pins for $39.99 580 series and up.
https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.c...-Pins-More.php
grumpy_old_man, 40nascar and Beck like this.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 18:55   #21

Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
Accuracy systems has Ruger OEM firing pins for $39.99 580 series and up.
https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.c...-Pins-More.php
That's good to know, but are they short like the factory one that is in it.
Old 06-11-2020, 20:15   #22

By the way, I already had a Midway order for other parts, so shipping wasn't extra.
r80rt likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 16:16   #23
Glass Half-Full Member

Sandog put the firingpins.com pin on my radar in a thread here back in 2015. I finally got around to buying my first one from eBay in 2016 when it was still called Iron Sight Precision, for $46.00 including shipping. I bought a second one a few months later just to have a spare, or for that second Mini-30 I'm still looking for.

I've put nearly as many rounds through my Mini-30 in the last four years with the new pin as I did in the previous 26 years with the original factory pin. It's a keeper. I'm sure it will outlive me.

Don't worry about it, Ima. If/when your Glend Arms pin breaks you know where to get the best replacement. Like I said previously... not trying to be critical, but helpful.

By the way, it appears we wield considerable power here on Perfect Union. Since we started talking about the firingpins.com pin in this thread it has sold out of stock... temporarily.
r80rt likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 17:00   #24

The website for FiringPins.com shows sold out but I just ordered off eBay and they are in stock and shipping.
Thanks for shaking this old tree. A spare pin is a must have these days. Y’all stay safe.
r80rt likes this.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 19:13   #25
Woods bum

That's good to know, but are they short like the factory one that is in it.
I bought one, it was not short.
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote