How to install front sight? - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 04:30   #1

How to install front sight?

Hello, I removed the blades front sight off my mini 14 185 series using a matrix sight removal tool. It came off easily.

I'm looking to put on a replacement front sight that has the same hole for the roll pin.
Do I just line up the sight hole with the roll pin slot in the barrel and tap away with a 3mm punch ?
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:21   #2
Suck it Leftists!

If the new front sight is not a press fit like the factory sight, the sight is going to want to rotate on the barrel as you drive the roll pin. My only experience is installing the Mo-reaper. I think the Mo-reaper comes with the new pin slightly installed. I secured the barrel in a vise with vinyl padded jaws, taped up the sight with painters tape to prevent dings, and drove the pin in final position. Even with the pin fully seated there was some rotational play with the sight so I centered it best I could before locking down the set screws.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:44   #3

Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
If the new front sight is not a press fit like the factory sight, the sight is going to want to rotate on the barrel as you drive the roll pin. My only experience is installing the Mo-reaper. I think the Mo-reaper comes with the new pin slightly installed. I secured the barrel in a vise with vinyl padded jaws, taped up the sight with painters tape to prevent dings, and drove the pin in final position. Even with the pin fully seated there was some rotational play with the sight so I centered it best I could before locking down the set screws.
Can you post a link to the front sight you chose to use ?

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2020, 07:35   #4
Suck it Leftists!

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
Can you post a link to the front sight you chose to use ?

kwg
Mo-Rod Ruger Rifle Enhancements
Old 05-20-2020, 08:48   #5

Hmm, this sight doesn't have any set screws. I guess I'll tap in the roll pin and maybe put some loctite between the sight and barrel if its still wiggling?
Old 05-20-2020, 18:25   #6

Hello PlanB
I assume you picked up another Ruger front sight with the hole already drilled ??

kwg
Old 05-21-2020, 05:14   #7

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
Hello PlanB
I assume you picked up another Ruger front sight with the hole already drilled ??

kwg
Hello, it's not a ruger factory sight. It's an aftermarket sight that has a hole drilled for the roll pin but it doesn't have any set screws
Old 05-21-2020, 06:59   #8

Getting a hole drilled through the barrel is not as easy as it sounds. Yes, a set screw at the bottom of the sight helps hold it in place while you drill a new hole. It's not hard to drill the hole if you have the right equipment. You could take it to a shop with an end mill and that way you know the hole is centered. Otherwise it's a crap shoot to get it centered. You would need a drill press to do it right. Get a 6x36 TPI (threads per inch) tap and an Allen screw to tap it with.

I'm not sure what you have for the new sight. A Ruger factory sight ?? Is it the skinny barrel or the newer .625 tapered barrel ? Without the right tools the job is much tougher.

I put a pre drilled Ruger factory sight on my Mini and when I put the roll pin through the sight, it was loose. I had access to an end mill so I put a hole in the dead center on the bottom side and tapped it for a 6x36 TPI Allen screw. That held everything together.

Duh !! It just dawned on to me you don't want another hole drilled into the rifle barrel. You want to use the existing hole. So the only issue you have is drilling a hole into the sight to put the Allen screw in and hold the sight tight against the roll pin. I can give you some hints on doing it yourself if you don't have a shop to take it to.
kwg