• 1 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By 40nascar
  • 3 Post By grumpy_old_man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 20:35   #1

Mini 14 aftermarket Mags

I love the Mini 14 and have a 196 series, I like using 10 round mags, anyone have any favorite brands and sites to get them at?
imarangemaster likes this.
mikefelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:31   #2

10 rounders are a real useful size. You'll find more companies having sales on Mini-14 mags, Mini-30 mags rarely are marked down.
Lanbo's Armory in Texas has pretty good prices year round. $24 for the Ruger 10 round.
https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?m...ha_filter_id=0
If you keep looking at sites like CDNN, Midway, or gunmagwarehouse you might find a sale where they are cheaper. Stick with Ruger factory mags, or the O.E. brand. Because of the Covid-19 rush, many places are sold out of mags right now.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:04   #3
RJF

Mike, I can vouch for the O.E. Brand through CDNN. Unfortunately, their availability is spotty at best and sold out within a day or two once the word gets out. Only experience is with their 20-rounders; they are IMHO better made than the current factory Ruger 20s, but I generally replace the follower with a Ruger one (easy swap and the O.E. spring works fine). I have several and they have been 100%. If they become available, get as many as you think you'll ever want.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2020, 06:13   #4

I have a few 10rd Promags that worked perfectly out of the package. I got mine
from Midway for around $20 . They look identical to factory mags. MM
mini-mizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:22   #5

I love the Ruger 10 rounder, but they can be pricey and scarce, often being more than the factory 20 rounder when it is on sale. I had a couple Promag 10s, though, and they worked fine.
grumpy_old_man and mikefelix like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:34   #6

BTW, Jestice arms still has Tapco Gen II 30 round Mini-14 mags FDE (Flat Dark Earth). They are out of stock on black and do not expect any more.

They are about $14 for 30 round, or $15 for rivet blocked to 10 round ban states. Also, if you run across Tapco Gen IIs that were factory blocked to 5 rounds, they are easy to convert to full capacity (if you legally can). They made a lot for Canada, IIRC
tcsafety and mikefelix like this.
Old 05-14-2020, 15:10   #7

There were never any better mags than those from Federal Ordnance (Precision Magazines Inc aka PMI). Both the 30's and 40's would function perfectly. They made 20's but I never had any. I still have a dozen of these mags and no reason to buy anything else. Did anyone ever pick up the tooling and make these mags again?
Old 05-14-2020, 15:28   #8

These "banana clips" were the best, but you had to use them before they got mushy and turned black !
Attached Thumbnails
Mini 14 aftermarket Mags-banna-clip.jpg  
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 15:54   #9
Registered Member

Pouch for 10 Round Magazines

If you do use the 10 rounders, an M67 Grenade Pouch that you can get on Amazon in several different styles will hold two of them.
Ralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 21:52   #10

Thanks everyone, I do get notifications from CDNN just about daily and check Midway a lot, I appreciate everyone's input!
RJF likes this.
mikefelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:16   #11

Originally Posted by mikefelix View Post
Thanks everyone, I do get notifications from CDNN just about daily and check Midway a lot, I appreciate everyone's input!
Amen, keep on CDNN as the OE mags are great but only make rare appearances. They usually sell out within one or two days.
mikefelix likes this.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:02   #12

I LOVE the OE 20 round mags...... MY idea of happiness is 9 OE 20 rounders. 4 each in a 1956 web pouch, and one in the weapon.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 05-16-2020 at 09:03.
Old 05-16-2020, 14:54   #13

I actually picked up a Ruger factory 10 rounder to keep in the rifle as my HD carbine. The 10 is the handiest for in the house, and it will have a factory 20 in the stock pouch, and a couple factory 30s handy on the shelf, too.

I still a bunch of the mags from my 186 Mini Tapco Gen IIs and Ruger factory, but did not have a ten rounder.
mikefelix likes this.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:36   #14

I just used a Tapco 30 yesterday in my 581 Series Stainless. 50 Rounds, 100% reliable. I think if you can find them, and don't want to spend $30 to $40 ona factory, they are the best option.

So far, Jestice Arms and CDNN have the FDE in stock. Jestice will rivet block to 5 or ten if you ask them for a buck or two a piece.
mikefelix likes this.
Old 06-02-2020, 17:19   #15
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by AFreeMan View Post
There were never any better mags than those from Federal Ordnance (Precision Magazines Inc aka PMI). Both the 30's and 40's would function perfectly. They made 20's but I never had any. I still have a dozen of these mags and no reason to buy anything else. Did anyone ever pick up the tooling and make these mags again?
I had some of the Fed Ord in 20's and 30', Also some PMI 20's that all worked great in my pre 580 mini 14's. I have some "American" made 10's, that was the manufacturer i believe between Fed Ord and PMI. I don't know if it was a business name change, or someone taking over the Fed Ord Company, but yeah, "American" brand mags are also great. There are no markings on the mags to identify them, but i have one or 2 "American" mags still in the original packaging, and they look just like Fed Ords.
mikefelix likes this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 13:26   #16

I just ordered 7 of the FDE Tapco Gen II from Jestice at $15 each. I know I already have 7 or 8 of them in black from before (as well as all my factory magazines), but I just had a feeling I would regret not getting them to put away. The only other ones I found were onGun broker, and they are going for $30-40 each there! I think CDNN wants $20 each now.

Also, Compare my 581 in a poly with a Tapco in it to my 581 in the wood stock (which will be used with the scope) and a steel mag, and there is a huge weight difference. In the poly with a Tapco will be my hiking the mountains rig.

Another part of the reason for getting more, is that I am looking at getting an early Mini-14 GB, to go with my 581
mikefelix likes this.
Old 06-12-2020, 21:26   #17

Just got a couple of Promag blue steel 10 bangers in today. Construction looks good, lock open on empty, feed angles are good when compared to Ruger 20's. Don't know when I'll be able to get range time again, family "things" happening here that are occupying all my time.

Grumpy
Jazzsax8, 40nascar and sandog like this.

Last edited by grumpy_old_man; 06-13-2020 at 04:33.
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:42   #18
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Ralan View Post
If you do use the 10 rounders, an M67 Grenade Pouch that you can get on Amazon in several different styles will hold two of them.
I used the same pouches to adapt the MOLLE II frag pouches for use with M1 Garand en-bloc clips.

I used some Velcro "OneWrap" to secure the innermost mag/clip so it wouldn't bounce out of the pouch after it was opened to access the first mag/clip.

Can't believe I never thought of using the same pouches for 10-rd mini-14 mags. Great Idea!

Instructions--Modify to suit the application:

Allow me to preface these remarks by saying that I used two Garand 8-rd en-bloc clips of 7.62 NATO (.308) ammo for this proof-of-concept. Those using longer .30-'06 ctgs (or similar) in this application need to adjust the length of the Clip Rention Strap (section B, mentioned below, to suit your slightly different application. Note also that this 7.62 NATO ctg installation required the installation of a spacer at the bottom of the pouch, so that the clips would not sink too deeply into the pouch. A section of 1/4", (or close to it) closed cell foam, such as can be made from a section of GI foam sleeping pad will do--just make sure to punch a drain hole in the center of same.

Materials required:

A) USGI MOLLE II Handgrenade (sic) Pouch. Make certain that the pouch has the internal, 1" wide webbing strap across the top back of the inside of the pouch. Number of pouches variable.

B) Velcro One-Wrap, preferably a max of 1.75" wide. 1" wide used for initial testing/construction. This dimension is likely a variable one, depending on how the individual pouch is sewn, so a One-Wrap width of 1.75" is playing it safe; the wider, up to this 1.75" limit, the better. I suggest a light, contrasting color for visibility, but the One Wrap is hidden within the pouch, so YMMV. Length of One-Wrap variable.

C) A suitable amount of closed-cell foam sheeting. I used 5/8" thick closed-cell foam from a spare GI sleeping mat.

D) Sharp, sturdy scissors.

Note: As with all instructions, the user is encouraged to use common sense. If any user has questions about anything, post them here, and I will answer them, and update the instructions.

Construction.

1) Construct the bottom spacer(s), and insert into pouch, if required for your application. Lay the spacer(s) flat on the bottom of the pouch. Punch an appropriate drain hole to match with existing drain grommet on the pouch. Nip the 4 corners of the foam spacer at 45 deg angle, removing maybe 3/16" of foam material, to improve fit. People desiring a permanent installation can use appropriate glue to secure the foam spacer(s) to the bottom of the pouch. Those desiring options can use strips of sticky-back Velcro to secure the pieces of closed cell foam, the wider the better. Use alcohol to prep surfaces to which the sticky-back Velcro will be attached. I found two spacers optimal for 7.62 NATO clips, and one optimal for .30-'06 clips. The use of the spacer(s) elevates the clip in the pouch, and allows grasping the clip with gloved hands.

2) Cut off 1 x 1" long (section A), 1 x 9-1/4" long (section B), and 1 x 2-1/2" long (section C) sections from the roll of One-Wrap. This will be for one pouch. Install the B section into the pouch making sure to run it UNDER the pre-existing 1" webbing strap inside the pouch, and making a sort of "U" inside the pouch. Install one Garand clip, BULLET TIPS DOWN, into the "U" just made, and slide section B back-and-forth so that it encloses the clip vertically, and there is about 1" left over for the user to grasp as a pull-tab, once the top of the "U" is secured around the clip. Suggest running the One Wrap with furry (loop) side towards the clip, and pull tab section nearest the front of the pouch, for best ease of grasping.

3) Once that has been accomplished, then remove the clip, and secure section B by using section C to "capture" section B. Place section C, more-or-less centered on the internal, existing, 1" webbing strip, OVER the 1" strap inside the pouch, making sure it engages with the exposed portions of section B which lie on both sides of the 1" webbing strap. Section B is now secured in place by the combination of section C and the pre-existing 1" webbing strap in the pouch. the two sections of One Wrap "sandwich" the existing 1" webbing strap in between them.

4) Secure section A to the unengaged portion of section B, and so making a pull-tab.

5) Optional. If one finds the pouch is too loose, and the clips rattle, use some stout shock cord, wrapped around the outside of the pouch to tighten things up. The adjustable strap on the pouch probably makes this optional step unnecessary, but YMMV.

That's it. You have now secured the Second Garand clip inside the Grenade pouch, where it will STAY until needed. Note that the user can make any adjustments needed by simply detaching and re-arranging the sections of One-Wrap.
RIBob is offline   Reply With Quote