Mini-14/30 Tactical barrel OD dimensions and front sight options? - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sandog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 00:23   #1

Mini-14/30 Tactical barrel OD dimensions and front sight options?

I'm researching front sight options for both my Mini-14 Tactical and my Mini-30 Tactical. Both have 582 prefixes. Both have Tech Sights replacement rear sights. Both have Burris Fastfire 3 optics.

I noticed Accuracy Systems has a few front sight options, but I'd prefer the one with the protective "wings" to protect the front sight post and also adjusts for elevation. Does anyone know the OD barrel dimension on both of the tactical models so I'll know if the Accuracy Systems' sight will work on the tactical barrels? I suspect they're about 0.750", but I may be wrong.

Without totally replacing the front sight, are there any recommendations for some type of insert that could be installed in the OEM front sight post?

I'd like to make the iron sights as good as I can should either of the FF3 optics ever fail.

Thanks!
Frank
FrankMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:31   #2

Yes, the Tactical should be .750", I'd measure the muzzle diameter on your Tacticals to be sure.
When I saw your thread I thought of Cogburn Arsenal's M-14 style front sight for the Mini, you can interchange the front sight post with a slimmer National Match, Tritium post, etc. just like you can on the M-14. But unfortunately there are none listed for the .750" barrels the Tacticals have.

There is nothing wrong with the factory winged sight, except I've found the blade to be too thick for good work. I've thinned down the blades on all the ones I've installed.
The thinner blade along with the Tech rear sight is the best iron sight combo I've been able to come up with.
My primary sight system is also the FastFire dot, but the back up is the Tech and thinned blade factory winged front.

This one has a Choate winged front, which is part of the pin-on flash hider combo. The Choate comes a bit thinner than the Ruger winged sight, good enough that I don't have to thin it down anymore.

One thing I do to either sight is put a stripe of yellow paint on the blade. it helps my older eyes and makes it easier to pick up quickly if you are aiming against a dark background.
I went out shooting after re-doing one of the Minis in FDE and had neglected to put the yellow stripe back on. I was having difficulty seeing the sight unless it was put against a light background like a paper target. I went home and painted the yellow on there, and things were good again.
Here you can see the yellow on both Mini-30s:
curt mini14 likes this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 21:26   #3

I agree with you.
I think thinning the front sight blade with some hi-viz paint would be the least expensive and simplest solution.
Did you try other colors like fluorescent orange, green, red or white before you settled on yellow?
I'm in the Appalachian mountains and not the high desert so I may have to experiment a tad.
Thanks!
FrankMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2020, 22:06   #4

I used orange at first but yellow is a bit brighter. White would also be good if you don't live where there is snow on the ground part of the year.
Howard Hill had said that to see arrows out of his longbow in flight, that having white nocks on the end of his arrow was best. Yellow he considered a close second best.
I watched an old video once of him hunting pigs on Catalina island (maybe it was goats ?) He took a shot at a really long distance, and even on the camera you could see that arrow all the way to the target with that white nock on the end.
Old 05-10-2020, 00:31   #5

You could paint the rear end of the Front Sight Blade White that will increase it's visibility against most backgrounds.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails
Mini-14/30 Tactical barrel OD dimensions and front sight options?-100464972.jpg  
Old 05-10-2020, 06:13   #6

Yes, white is good provided it never snows where you'll be. If you were out in the snow, white would not be so good. You might get some snow in the Appalachians.
I am not in the desert part of Arizona but the Ponderosa Pine belt at over 6500 feet.
We have snow on the ground at least 3 months of the year, though this last winter was very mild.
Yellow is right up there with white as far as visibility and works year round, snow or not.