Mini 30 goto war ammo - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree202Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 15:53   #26

I also like to think the Garand was instrumental in our WW II victory, but you have to give credit to the P-51, B-17, and B-29. And our aircraft carriers.
Some trivia:
Sources differ on the exact amount, but at the start of WW II, the U.S. had 7-8 carriers.
Japan had 9-10. Almost all of Japan's carriers were sunk.
At the end of the war, we had 141 carriers (all types).

We entered WW II with 2 destroyers and 2 submarines, at the end of the war we had 349 destroyers and 203 submarines.

Our production numbers were staggering. During the war, we cranked out:
88,410 tanks
318,000 aircraft
7,333 war ships
40 billion rounds of ammo
600,000 Jeeps

By the end of WW II, a Jeep was rolling off the assembly line very 4 minutes.
By 1944 the U.S. soldier could draw upon 8,000 lbs. of supplies, the Japanese soldier 4 lbs.
When Japan chose to screw with us, they awakened a sleeping giant.
Hilter did the same with Russia.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 16:47   #27
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Good, well reasoned post!

The Mini-30 is a great primary fighting, and do-all carbine/Medium Rifle. It's been that for me for 30 years.

Your first choices in ammo, 1) RAS (Vympel made) 124 gr FMJBT and HPBT, and 2) Barnual Silver Bear 123 gr, and 125 gr SP are also my first choices in factory ammo.

I'm having plenty of fun with reloading for specific uses, but the factory stuff you have listed takes care of about 95% of my needs. I tweak my M30 around the RAS and the Silver Bear so they work best in it.

Nice setup! Good choices! Hard to beat!
Thank you. Yours and Sandog's are great companion posts on my thread. I've learned alot about the mini 30 from you two, and respect you greatly. The firing pin fix was the game changer for me on the Mini 30. The ultimak was the next best mod. Thank you guys!
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 16:56   #28

Here are mine:

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
The decision to go with a Mini 30 as a primary fighting firearm is not an easy one. I love my mini 14's also. The mini 14 was my first long gun purchase when i was in my early twenties. I haven't looked back since, or seriously considered another platform as my primary survival arm, weather it be defensive, militia, or a fighting weapon. I shot C.M.P. qualification rounds with my first mini 14 ( which i still have). With recent parts and gunsmithing upgrades, along with Ruger design and Variation upgrades, the Mini 30 has become a viable do-it-all carbine. With the firingpins.com upgrade i would also be comfortable with the Mini 30, as a short range Hog slaying machine. That firing pin upgrade, an ASI reduced gas pressure bushing, and 1911 bushing, and reduced trigger pull gunsmithing, have all combined to make this Ruger an ultimately reliable, and relatively accurate carbine that i can Trust. I would choose it over an AK variant any day of the week. With those considerations in mind, i have found the following ammunition ( Ranked in my preference) to be reliable and accurate.

1) R.A.S. 124 gr fmj, or HP. Manufactured by Vympel in Russia, it goes bang everytime, has a sealed primer and bullet case mouth ( good for long term storage considerations), shoots clean, and has excellent quality control. This results in reliable and accurate function,and clean burning. Cost at 30 cents per round or less, this round is a bargain compared to near equivalent quality 5.56 rounds that are double or triple the cost.

2) Barnual Silver Bear 125 gr. Fmj or S.p. The equivalent quality control goes into this brand. One thing i really like is the zinc coated cases. This aids in smooth chambering and extraction of the expended round. This little quality upgrades are reflected in a slightly higher price than the R.A.S., but still no more expensive than green green tip 5.56. Cost considerations bring this down to #2 on my list.

3) PPU FMJ or SP. Cost is definitely higher here, about 50c per round. What you get is relatively high quality contol ( good accuracy) along with reloadable good quality brass cases. If you are a reloader, this is the way to go. Also, if your concerned about shooting steel cased ammo, this would probably rate as the best newly manufactured brass cased ammo for the money.

4) Yugo military surplus - This is a very good quality brass cased, berdan primed ammo that functions well and price wise usually sells about midway between the steel case choices (1,2) and the PPU. What drags it down to #4 is the fact that this is a mildly corrosive ammo to fire, and the fact that much of this ammo is about 40 yrs old. That said, i have not had one round fail to fire for more yet. Just remember to clean your bore and gas system after the days shooting is over.

5) Hornady SST steel. This stuff is not cheap. About 70c per rnd. But you get top notch quality control and the excellent SST bullet. In many 7.62 x 39 rifles/carbines, this is the most accurate ammo. The downside is that Hornady uses imported steel cases that are not reloadable. Relatively high price, but top notch ammo.

Also rans:

Geco - Brass case( reloadable) , about 40c per rnd when it is available. Shoots reliably in my Mini. I have not had time to do accuracy testing of this round, but since im a reloader, would gamble on up to a case of this brand, just to get the reloadable brass at a good price.

S&B - Brass case ( reloadable), about 50c per round. I like this round. It is well made, shoots well, and is reliable. The best thing about this round is how clean this shoots. There is literally no visible powder residue left in the fired cases. Another strong point is that this round seems to be readily available. The downside is that this round seems a little under powered compared to the PPU, which is the same price. I have not done extensive testing with this round because i am more interested in testing the R.A.S, Silver Bear and PPU, and my own handloads.

Here are mine:

7.62 x 39 Ballistic Data (The lower the Standard Deviation, the better.) Rev: 3/12/2019
This data is from AK Operators Union videos - 60 round samples.

#1 - American Eagle/Federal 124 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2327 fps
SD = 9.0 fps

#2 - Golden Bear (Purple Box) 123 FMJ
Avg. MV = 2329 fps
SD = 11.0 fps

#3 - PPU 123 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2297 fps
SD = 13.3 fps

#4 -Lapua 123 Grain FMJ (Costly!)
Avg. MV = 2353 fps
SD = 13.9 fps

#5 - Brown Bear (Blue Green Box) 123 Grain HP
Avg. MV = 2262 fps
SD = 16.1 fps

#6 - Wolf Mil Spec 123 Grain HP
Avg. MV = 2320 fps
SD = 19.1 fps

#7 - Yugo Mil Spec M67 Surplus 124 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2304 fps
SD = 19.6 fps

#8 - Barnaul Mil Spec (White Box) 123 FMJ
Avg. MV = 2310 fps
SD = 20.5 fps

#9 - Tulammo 122 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2299 fps
SD = 29.5 fps
curt mini14, sandog, Beck and 1 others like this.
blacktalonalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2020, 17:54   #29

As far as go to war ammo for the Mini-30, Ulyanovsk +fragtastic" 8M3 124 HPs with pre-fail cuts inside the hollow point are devastating. I have a 200 rounds in the old white with blue writing boxes. SG Ammo, though, imports it from Tulammo. Note not all 124 grain HPs are 8M3

imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 18:47   #30
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by blacktalonalan View Post
Here are mine:

7.62 x 39 Ballistic Data (The lower the Standard Deviation, the better.) Rev: 3/12/2019
This data is from AK Operators Union videos - 60 round samples.

#1 - American Eagle/Federal 124 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2327 fps
SD = 9.0 fps

#2 - Golden Bear (Purple Box) 123 FMJ
Avg. MV = 2329 fps
SD = 11.0 fps

#3 - PPU 123 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2297 fps
SD = 13.3 fps

#4 -Lapua 123 Grain FMJ (Costly!)
Avg. MV = 2353 fps
SD = 13.9 fps

#5 - Brown Bear (Blue Green Box) 123 Grain HP
Avg. MV = 2262 fps
SD = 16.1 fps

#6 - Wolf Mil Spec 123 Grain HP
Avg. MV = 2320 fps
SD = 19.1 fps

#7 - Yugo Mil Spec M67 Surplus 124 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2304 fps
SD = 19.6 fps

#8 - Barnaul Mil Spec (White Box) 123 FMJ
Avg. MV = 2310 fps
SD = 20.5 fps

#9 - Tulammo 122 Grain FMJ
Avg. MV = 2299 fps
SD = 29.5 fps
Rob Ski's videos are entertaining for sure. He does pretty well with his 16" AKs and that Doppler setup. SD is certainty something to consider along with other factors in ammo performance.
curt mini14, 40nascar and tcsafety like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 18:53   #31
Glass Half-Full Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
As far as go to war ammo for the Mini-30, Ulyanovsk +fragtastic" 8M3 124 HPs with pre-fail cuts inside the hollow point are devastating. I have a 200 rounds in the old white with blue writing boxes. SG Ammo, though, imports it from Tulammo. Note not all 124 grain HPs are 8M3

I've been meaning to try some of the Tula branded 8M3. I'll have to wait until the Panic-Demic is over... maybe a few months if not more. That is definitely a take-no-prisoners round, which has its place in certain circumstances. Being hopelessly outnumbered is one of those circumstances.
curt mini14 likes this.
Old 05-14-2020, 19:00   #32
Glass Half-Full Member

Another type of ammo to keep around is the Chinese or Russian mild steel core. I only had a couple hundred rounds of it left over from back in the day. I bought 500 more rounds of Chinese steel core about a month before the current guns and ammo shortage and price hike. That was a close one! It's harder to get now than ever before.

It's not technically AP as the military defines it, but it will go through certain barriers that standard lead core will not. When you can find it again it wouldn't hurt to have some around.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:31   #33

I believe the Golden Tiger "Expanding HP" and the Red Army "Fragmenting HP (probably the same bullet loaded in both) are also a pre fail cut bullet.

I'd feel better having 8M3 style rounds from Vympel than ones made by Tula.
Look at the SD of Golden Bear in the chart provided by blacktalonalan. Lowest SD of any round except Fed Amer Eagle ($1 a round ammo). Even a lower SD than Lapua.
I got similar results when I chronographed Silver Bear.

More consistent powder charges and lower standard deviation mean better accuracy.
If the "Bears" from Barnaul were loaded with better bullets (more consistent, less voids), they'd be scary accurate.

I got similar velocities from Lapua when I Chrono'd it, and that was from a 16" barreled Romanian AKM. The only round I've tried that is as high of velocity is Red Army.
I'm about to order a case of either the Red Army or Golden Tiger fragmenting HP.
SG Ammo has both, $260 for 1,000.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:37   #34

My only ammo regret is that i didn't stash away more Silver Bear H.P. it seems to be difficult to get in the peoples republic. We have to have an ffl order it for us. I do have a nice little stash of Silver Bear 125 gr SP's, but they seem to be down a little in velocity compared to the fmjs and hp's.
Silver Bear seems to be in short supply everywhere right now, I still have 460 rounds of the HP but would like to buy more. I'll probably just get a case of the RAS or Golden Tiger BTHP instead for now.
40nascar likes this.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:10   #35

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I believe the Golden Tiger "Expanding HP" and the Red Army "Fragmenting HP (probably the same bullet loaded in both) are also a pre fail cut bullet.

I'd feel better having 8M3 style rounds from Vympel than ones made by Tula.
Look at the SD of Golden Bear in the chart provided by blacktalonalan. Lowest SD of any round except Fed Amer Eagle ($1 a round ammo). Even a lower SD than Lapua.
I got similar results when I chronographed Silver Bear.

More consistent powder charges and lower standard deviation mean better accuracy.
If the "Bears" from Barnaul were loaded with better bullets (more consistent, less voids), they'd be scary accurate.

I got similar velocities from Lapua when I Chrono'd it, and that was from a 16" barreled Romanian AKM. The only round I've tried that is as high of velocity is Red Army.
I'm about to order a case of either the Red Army or Golden Tiger fragmenting HP.
SG Ammo has both, $260 for 1,000.
IIRC the 8M3 is actually made by Ulyanovsk and imported by Tulammo
Old 05-15-2020, 10:00   #36

The decision to go with a Mini 30 as a primary fighting firearm is not an easy one. I love my mini 14's also. The mini 14 was my first long gun purchase when i was in my early twenties. I haven't looked back since, or seriously considered another platform as my primary survival arm, weather it be defensive, militia, or a fighting weapon. I shot C.M.P. qualification rounds with my first mini 14 ( which i still have). With recent parts and gunsmithing upgrades, along with Ruger design and Variation upgrades, the Mini 30 has become a viable do-it-all carbine. With the firingpins.com upgrade i would also be comfortable with the Mini 30, as a short range Hog slaying machine. That firing pin upgrade, an ASI reduced gas pressure bushing, and 1911 bushing, and reduced trigger pull gunsmithing, have all combined to make this Ruger an ultimately reliable, and relatively accurate carbine that i can Trust. I would choose it over an AK variant any day of the week. With those considerations in mind, i have found the following ammunition ( Ranked in my preference) to be reliable and accurate.

1) R.A.S. 124 gr fmj, or HP. Manufactured by Vympel in Russia, it goes bang everytime, has a sealed primer and bullet case mouth ( good for long term storage considerations), shoots clean, and has excellent quality control. This results in reliable and accurate function,and clean burning. Cost at 30 cents per round or less, this round is a bargain compared to near equivalent quality 5.56 rounds that are double or triple the cost.

2) Barnual Silver Bear 125 gr. Fmj or S.p. The equivalent quality control goes into this brand. One thing i really like is the zinc coated cases. This aids in smooth chambering and extraction of the expended round. This little quality upgrades are reflected in a slightly higher price than the R.A.S., but still no more expensive than green green tip 5.56. Cost considerations bring this down to #2 on my list.

3) PPU FMJ or SP. Cost is definitely higher here, about 50c per round. What you get is relatively high quality contol ( good accuracy) along with reloadable good quality brass cases. If you are a reloader, this is the way to go. Also, if your concerned about shooting steel cased ammo, this would probably rate as the best newly manufactured brass cased ammo for the money.

4) Yugo military surplus - This is a very good quality brass cased, berdan primed ammo that functions well and price wise usually sells about midway between the steel case choices (1,2) and the PPU. What drags it down to #4 is the fact that this is a mildly corrosive ammo to fire, and the fact that much of this ammo is about 40 yrs old. That said, i have not had one round fail to fire for more yet. Just remember to clean your bore and gas system after the days shooting is over.

5) Hornady SST steel. This stuff is not cheap. About 70c per rnd. But you get top notch quality control and the excellent SST bullet. In many 7.62 x 39 rifles/carbines, this is the most accurate ammo. The downside is that Hornady uses imported steel cases that are not reloadable. Relatively high price, but top notch ammo.

Also rans:

Geco - Brass case( reloadable) , about 40c per rnd when it is available. Shoots reliably in my Mini. I have not had time to do accuracy testing of this round, but since im a reloader, would gamble on up to a case of this brand, just to get the reloadable brass at a good price.

S&B - Brass case ( reloadable), about 50c per round. I like this round. It is well made, shoots well, and is reliable. The best thing about this round is how clean this shoots. There is literally no visible powder residue left in the fired cases. Another strong point is that this round seems to be readily available. The downside is that this round seems a little under powered compared to the PPU, which is the same price. I have not done extensive testing with this round because i am more interested in testing the R.A.S, Silver Bear and PPU, and my own handloads.
1) Move, you sound like you are in commieville and will not survive long.
2) Get in shape to carry the M1A, body armor and load out.
3) The rifle is a tool and all I'll say on the subject of selection. If there is a protracted event you need compatibility and interchangeability when something goes wrong with your rifle bud.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:47   #37

Have you ever, ever, ever heard of a Mini breaking down ?
I'm not talking a brand new, sloppy Ruger QC out of the box Mini that has issues, but a proven one that a guy has had for a couple years and put hundreds of rounds through it.
I've been following Minis casually since they were introduced in the 70's, and have followed them very closely since 2012 when I got into them more seriously, and I've never heard of a breakdown that wasn't caused by the owner.

I sold off the first two I had (mid70's and mid 80's) not because they was anything wrong with them, but I wanted to delve into a new platform like the FAL or the AKM.
I always found other platforms lacking, so they went away.
Now I have two Mini-30s, and I don't find them lacking in any way.
I do have a handful of spare parts for each, not that I'll actually ever need them.

I'll have those Minis until the end. If my end comes unexpectedly, it'll be from some China Wu-Tang virus, not because my Minis failed me.
Old 05-15-2020, 14:27   #38
Glass Half-Full Member

Yep, me too, Sandog. 30 years with the same Mini-30 I bought in 1989. It's never failed in any way. And as long as we're plugged into groups that favor the Mini-30 we have all kinds of support. 40nascar made a smart choice.

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
1) Move, you sound like you are in commieville and will not survive long.
2) Get in shape to carry the M1A, body armor and load out.
3) The rifle is a tool and all I'll say on the subject of selection. If there is a protracted event you need compatibility and interchangeability when something goes wrong with your rifle bud.
Chill, you should be making an argument in favor of an AR. That's our current standard military platform. But I'd still choose a mini-30 over that as well.
Old 05-15-2020, 14:43   #39

There are enough AK's floating around the country that pick up ammo will not be a factor...... when things go south.

Notice I didn't say if......

Bepe
hylander, jumpluff, r80rt and 5 others like this.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 17:06   #40
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
There are enough AK's floating around the country that pick up ammo will not be a factor...... when things go south.

Notice I didn't say if......

Bepe

Exactly that. I should have mentioned the AK and it's ubiquitous cartridge that the Mini-30 shares with it. 7.62x39 can be found anywhere and everywhere all over the world. Long live the AK because it keeps the ammo flowing for any firearm chambered in x39.

Also the M1A isn't anymore drop-in serviceable than the Mini-14 and Mini-30. Short of the bolt itself failing, the Mini-30 is easily maintained with parts from Ruger and several online vendors. But failure of anything on a Mini-30 is pretty rare. My box of spare parts just sits there wondering what to do with itself.

In the area where I live I know exactly zero people who own an M1A. There are plenty of AKs, ARs and Minis... both 14 and 30.

I like the M1A for fun and historical significance, but the Mini-30 is my go-to.
jumpluff, r80rt, 40nascar and 3 others like this.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:26   #41

Have you ever, ever, ever heard of a Mini breaking down ?
I'm not talking a brand new, sloppy Ruger QC out of the box Mini that has issues, but a proven one that a guy has had for a couple years and put hundreds of rounds through it.
I've been following Minis casually since they were introduced in the 70's, and have followed them very closely since 2012 when I got into them more seriously, and I've never heard of a breakdown that wasn't caused by the owner.

I sold off the first two I had (mid70's and mid 80's) not because they was anything wrong with them, but I wanted to delve into a new platform like the FAL or the AKM.
I always found other platforms lacking, so they went away.
Now I have two Mini-30s, and I don't find them lacking in any way.
I do have a handful of spare parts for each, not that I'll actually ever need them.

I'll have those Minis until the end. If my end comes unexpectedly, it'll be from some China Wu-Tang virus, not because my Minis failed me.
Ever hear of Murphy's Law SD? But it's a tool to me not emotionally attached to a platform. Just survival on our worst case scenarios. Hey SD toss me a mag, I'm out. Oh never mind. That's not the ideal now is it?
40nascar and sandog like this.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:27   #42

I was actually looking for a Mini-30 on Gunbroker when the deal on the 581 dropped in my lap! With the net cost being $295 because of $500 worth of mags (Ruger factory for the most part) and accessories, and it would have been my next choice, I took it as a sign and pounced on it.

Since I load and shoot MK262 MOD1 with 77 grainers for my 5.56, I thiunk it has about the same thump as the 7.62x39.

While I have the 7.62x39 ammo, if I had found a Mini-30 at $795 (which was my max budget), I would have still had to fund the magazines to the tune of a couple hundred. I Real Estate picks up, I'll still probably chase down a Mini-30....
40nascar, Beck and tcsafety like this.
Old 05-16-2020, 15:36   #43

I'm not too worried about Murphy, chill. Besides the spare parts, I have a spare Mini-30 that can be used for parts if it came to that.
If and when it comes to that, I'd be bugging out with my daughter and son in law. The son in law liked my daughter's Mini-30 so much he bought one too. He got out of the Marines a couple years ago, two tours in the sandbox. His two years of combat experience, and my 4 years combat experience (out of 20 active duty).
Not every veteran is an AR fanboy. If I feel the need for an AR when SHTF, I'll just take one from someone.

And between the 3 of us we have 34 magazines for the Minis and a bit over 5,000 rounds of ammo. That amount is still growing.

We have 4 9mm pistols (and I have 2 .45 ACPs). Hate to disappoint you again but they are not Glocks, all are S&W M&Ps.

I think we'll fare as well as most out there.
r80rt, 40nascar, chill1955 and 3 others like this.
Old 05-16-2020, 21:43   #44
Glass Half-Full Member

Ever hear of Murphy's Law SD? But it's a tool to me not emotionally attached to a platform. Just survival on our worst case scenarios.
Murphy's law would apply to any type of firearm, would it not? Sandog is ahead of most with two Mini-30s. He's got a spare if Murphy should pay a visit. I'm following his example. My next firearm purchase will be a second Mini-30. I'm on the prowl for one as we speak.

I don't know if you were serious about an M1A or not. I was thinking maybe not and you were just being funny, but I replied just in case.

Sorry, but there's simply no reasonable argument against 7.62x39 for a battle round. The prevalence of the round makes it one of the most obvious choices. The Mini-30 is more reliable than most garden variety AKs/AKMs. We're no longer wondering how the Mini-30 will pan out like we were when they first came out. We have 30+ years of experience with it, and that's why so many of us who bought them early on have kept them.

Hey SD toss me a mag, I'm out. Oh never mind. That's not the ideal now is it?
Actually it is the deal if you're plugged in with other Mini-30 owners. I've had a survivalist mindset since the late 80's. I started buying ammo back then already for guns I don't own so I'd have ammo on hand for friends and allies who do have weapons in those calibers. So I can toss you a mag in several different calibers, but especially the Mini-30. Some might say I have too much ammo and too many mags. If I was thinking only of my needs maybe I have more than I'll ever use. But I think of others... friends... allies.

If any of my friends here or locally get caught out of ammo WSHTF I'll get some to them for free come hell or high water. That's how I roll.
r80rt, PFerris, 40nascar and 4 others like this.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:34   #45

No sense in debating a caliber or weapon choice. Whatever you pick...get proficient.....practice and stock up on supplies. Any widely used caliber will work if you put in the effort. Heck, probably make up a small army of folks running 30-30's across the nation. If my main rifle was a boutique cartridge I might be looking for an alternative.

Not one second of reservation going with my Mini 30's. 7.62x39mm round is battle tested for 75 years and used world wide.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Mini 30 goto war ammo-dscn2795.jpg  
r80rt, SAN14, 40nascar and 1 others like this.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:10   #46

If I had a wish it would be for me to be with guys like you when and if the time ever comes. Carry some extra mags for me and I'll do the same for you. The 7.62x39 is a proven caliber on the battlefield and I would use it on deer 200 yards or less. If I owned a mini 30 I would do the trigger trim and crown it, flash hider, lots of proven magazine. Then above all make it eat anything I feed it. My mini is if I get to the safe gun, Light and laser and that's all folks. Did I push your buttons just a little?
40nascar and sandog like this.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:01   #47
Registered Member

I also like to think the Garand was instrumental in our WW II victory, but you have to give credit to the P-51, B-17, and B-29. And our aircraft carriers.
Some trivia:
Sources differ on the exact amount, but at the start of WW II, the U.S. had 7-8 carriers.
Japan had 9-10. Almost all of Japan's carriers were sunk.
At the end of the war, we had 141 carriers (all types).

We entered WW II with 2 destroyers and 2 submarines, at the end of the war we had 349 destroyers and 203 submarines.

Our production numbers were staggering. During the war, we cranked out:
88,410 tanks
318,000 aircraft
7,333 war ships
40 billion rounds of ammo
600,000 Jeeps

By the end of WW II, a Jeep was rolling off the assembly line very 4 minutes.
By 1944 the U.S. soldier could draw upon 8,000 lbs. of supplies, the Japanese soldier 4 lbs.
When Japan chose to screw with us, they awakened a sleeping giant.
Hilter did the same with Russia.
Add to your Trivia You forgot the most produce American aircraft of WWII in your list of airplanes. The Consolidated B-24 Liberator. My Dad was a gunner on the B-24 during WWII Flew out of Torretta, Italy. He did 35 mission then signed up for another tour did 18 more before being shot down over Austria and becoming a POW.
jumpluff and 40nascar like this.
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 13:40   #48

I checked, and the 7.62x39 has the edge over 77 grain MK262 MOD1 energy wise up to 100 yards (7.62 + 1016 and 77 has 944 Ft Lbs). At 200 they are a dead tie (7.62 660, and the .77 grainer 673 ft lbs) At 300, the 7.62 has 430, where the 77 has 470 ft lbs.

In fairness, the MK262 MOD1 outshines almost any other 5.56, except possibly 75 grain TAP. My nephew Marine Sgt. used MK262 MOD 1 in an M16A2 (they referred to it as a "Musket" because the others had M4s) to take out Mujihadin in Afghanistan at 300+ yards. He was an old school "Marine rifleman."

Regular ammo (M855 62 grain) was worthless from an M4 past 100 yards, or even less, because it ceases to tumble and come apart below 2650 fps. 77 grain OTMBT just comes apart, even at 300 yards...

With that said, as a whole, I do think the 7.62x39 is a superior round to the 5.56 and .223 as a whole (with the exception of the 75+ grain pills).
tcsafety likes this.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 05-17-2020 at 14:25.
Old 05-17-2020, 14:20   #49

7.62x39 8M3 Gel test: minute 4:35 on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acIZk2V6xg0

MK262 MOD1 77 grain gel test. Minute 1:55 on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPH1UpHlC9s
Old 05-17-2020, 14:41   #50

Oh, by the way, now that I have convinced you how much I love the Mini-14 shooting 77 grainers... A Mini-30 is still on my short list. After all I still have 1,000 rounds of ammo and some mags....
tcsafety likes this.