Amega scout rail questions - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 08:48   #1

Amega scout rail questions

Question for the 581+ crowd out there with an Amega rail. If you install the OEM picatinny rail over the receiver, is it level with the amega rail therefore making a full length rail?? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.
Aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:23   #2

The factory rail sits on top of the scope mount receiver scallops, the Amega and Ultimak sit it front of, and slightly lower than the front scallop.
So no, the two are not even going to be close to lining up. A good 1/2" difference.

Just having the Amega (or Ultimak) should give you plenty of rail space, if you have already splurged for the Amega, I can't imagine why you'd even consider the high, right above the bolt, factory rail.

I only use about 1/5 of my available space. I don't need to mount a rear sight on the rail, as I already have a good rear sight (the Tech), and I don't need magnifiers, laser designators or other doo-dads.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:32   #3

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
The factory rail sits on top of the scope mount receiver scallops, the Amega and Ultimak sit it front of, and slightly lower than the front scallop.
So no, the two are not even going to be close to lining up. A good 1/2" difference.

Just having the Amega (or Ultimak) should give you plenty of rail space, if you have already splurged for the Amega, I can't imagine why you'd even consider the high, right above the bolt, factory rail.

I only use about 1/5 of my available space. I don't need to mount a rear sight on the rail, as I already have a good rear sight (the Tech), and I don't need magnifiers, laser designators or other doo-dads.

Thanks SANDOG. I already have an ultimak. I think it is unfortunate that ULTIMAK doesn't utilize the full rail space as this would save weight (always my primary concern).

My question is though, I know the AMEGA sits higher than the ULTIMAK so I was wondering how close to being in line with the factory rails it is. I have never seen a picture of this setup. The ULTIMAK is preferred due to it's low profile, so this is more of a just curious kind of question. Thank you.
sandog likes this.
Aguy is offline   Reply With Quote