Geco 7.62x39mm Ammo 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 09:43   #1

Geco 7.62x39mm Ammo 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket

I haven't heard any mention of the Geco 7.62x39 ammo here on the forum. Prices are very comparable to Wolf. Big plus is brass cases. Any Comments?
Richard Coss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:54   #2

Originally Posted by Richard Coss View Post
I haven't heard any mention of the Geco 7.62x39 ammo here on the forum. Prices are very comparable to Wolf. Big plus is brass cases. Any Comments?
Poor quality. Inconsistent velocity and action cycle (AR). Bullets can be canted in case.

Brass quality good but everything else not great.

I bought 1000 and ended up selling 750 to get rid of them.
mini14collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:25   #3

Wow. That's not good news. If the brass cases are good, it's almost worth the cost to buy 200 rounds and pull the bullets and primers then re-prime and load with a better powder and re-seat those bullets. I've been pricing brass cases and everyone's prices are higher than I'm willing to pay.
curt mini14 and Bepe like this.

Old 05-01-2020, 14:24   #4

Originally Posted by mini14collector View Post
Poor quality. Inconsistent velocity and action cycle (AR). Bullets can be canted in case.

Brass quality good but everything else not great.

I bought 1000 and ended up selling 750 to get rid of them.
Once again, Mini14 collector is way off the mark.
Maybe he should stick to collecting, and leave the actual shooting of Minis to those more experienced.

I tested some Geco a couple years ago, and recently tested a new batch.
It is excellent quality, if a but lower velocity than some comparable rounds.
The brass is every bit as good as PPU, annealed neck and very good for reloading. I wouldn't be surprised if PPU and Geco are made in the same factory.
Powder charges are very consistent, I got slightly better groups with Geco than PPU, and PPU is above average.
None of these companies that make FMJ ammo, either brass or steel cased, take much care in bullet consistency.
If you want more than O.K. groups, you'll need to load your own with better bullets, like Nosler, Sierra, Barnes or Hornady. That's a given.

R, Coss, did you happen to read the recent thread about Best Mini-30 ammo ? I did mention the Geco.
harles, curt mini14, Beck and 1 others like this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 15:00   #5

Yes I did Sandog. Thanks for sharing that information. I kind of stubbled on the Geco brand. I hadn't heard of that brand so I googled it and found the prices weren't too far out line and brass cases to boot. Plus they really had some in stock.
curt mini14, sandog and Beck like this.
Old 05-01-2020, 15:09   #6
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by Richard Coss View Post
Wow. That's not good news. If the brass cases are good, it's almost worth the cost to buy 200 rounds and pull the bullets and primers then re-prime and load with a better powder and re-seat those bullets. I've been pricing brass cases and everyone's prices are higher than I'm willing to pay.
As Sandog said, he's reviewed Geco at least a couple times, and I've heard nothing but good reports about it in other reviews on other forums and vendor sites.

Beware the Mini-14 guys like mini14collector trying to advise you on the Mini-30 and 7.62x39 in general. He may be talking about .223 Geco, I don't know.

Sandog, Bepe, and myself, among others on the forum are long time Mini-30 guys. I'll buy Geco in a heartbeat when/if I want brass. My best shooting stuff at the moment is Russian made steel case from Vympel. I have plenty of brass around but these days it mostly just sits around looking pretty.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 15:12   #7

I used to buy Geco 9mm by the case, it shot great
Never heard anybody say anything bad about it. (Except Mini14 collector, but I don't give any credence to what he says. After all, he said that an Ultimak is a poor place to mount an optic).
Geco ammo is beautiful, consistent stuff. No canted bullets here:

Canted bullets ? How do guys come up with this stuff ?
.22 bullets can be canted, just look at a box of Winchester M-22. But how do you think bullets can be visibly canted in a 7.62 x 39, or any other centerfire case ?
This Mini14 collector guy is approaching troll status in my book.
Old 05-01-2020, 15:30   #8

i shoot Geco 223 ammo its all been great i took quite a few yotes with it very accurate and ive shot 7.62x39 and had no complaints.maybe collectors should stick to collecting and leave the reviews to the REAL SHOOTERS.
sandog, Beck and Bepe like this.
curt mini14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 20:59   #9

MY RESULTS WERE POOR!

I do not care about what you think of it.

Bought 1000 round and shot it in an AR 7.62x39.

So poor results I had to sell it off.

Visible canted bullets on maybe 1 of 10 and very week.

Wolf liked a H2 buffer. Geco needed a light carbine buffer and it still cycled poorly.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think bullets can not be canted and poorly crimped.

Proof in a pic. 1 out of 10 looked like the bullet ON THE RIGHT. Right out of the box.

Pic is not 7.62X39 but is a canted factory bullet. Eat your words.

Bad batch likely but do not try to be a know it all when you can be easily proven wrong.

Self proclaimed resident expert. LOL.

Tested it side by side with Wolf poly performance, Night and day results.

Brass is good like I said. Loaded ammo sucked.

Last edited by mini14collector; 05-01-2020 at 22:08.
Old 05-01-2020, 22:55   #10
Pontifex Discordia

MY RESULTS WERE POOR!
Proof in a pic. 1 out of 10 looked like the bullet ON THE RIGHT. Right out of the box.

I was surprised at the strong tone being used against you. After seeing the quoted post, I think the tone might be warranted.

The picture you posted has nothing to identify the source of the rounds. Nothing to specify whether they were commercially made. Nothing to indicate whether they actually made it into the hands of a customer.

You are not yet in a position to demand that anybody eat their words.
sandog likes this.

Last edited by Strake; 05-02-2020 at 01:34.
Strake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 00:48   #11
Glass Half-Full Member

MY RESULTS WERE POOR!

Maybe you did or maybe you didn't. Perfect Union is no place for armchair "experts." We're proactive members who actually get to the range. And this is a Mini-14/30 forum. What happens in an AR or AK is inconsequential if it did indeed happen, which I'm beginning to wonder if it happened at all.

We do not care what you think. As I said recently, what's important is a consensus, not just one guy's opinion. The consensus is at odds with your opinion.

We do care when new members are being misled by self-proclaimed know-it-alls who in truth know nothing at all.
curt mini14 and sandog like this.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:24   #12

All the Geco ammo I've seen is the highest quality. Mini 14 collector says the problem ammo was 7.62 x 39 used in a x39 AR, but the ammo shown is clearly not 7.62 x 39.
We don't even know if the ammo shown is Geco, or some that someone reloaded.

Go ahead and keep shooting Wolf if you like it so well, Mini14 collector. The more you shoot is more of that mediocre ammo is more that won't fall into other shooters hands.
The more you talk, the more you look like someone who doesn't know their posterior from a hole in the ground.
curt mini14 and 40nascar like this.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:26   #13

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
All the Geco ammo I've seen is the highest quality. Mini 14 collector says the problem ammo was 7.62 x 39 used in a x39 AR, but the ammo shown is clearly not 7.62 x 39.
We don't even know if the ammo shown is Geco, or some that someone reloaded.

Go ahead and keep shooting Wolf if you like it so well, Mini14 collector. The more you shoot is more of that mediocre ammo is more that won't fall into other shooters hands.
The more you talk, the more you look like someone who doesn't know their posterior from a hole in the ground.
Reading comprehension is not strong with you.

I proved you do not know what you spout by showing you a canted factory load, DOES NOT MATTER WHO MADE IT OR WHAT CALIBER. You barked it was not possible.

You were wrong and proved your ignorance.

So to further prove you are a know nothing hack you made me spend hours finding MY old rounds. Found a handful I did not end up using. One was as I remembered. Been a few years.

MY 7.62X39 GECO headstamped round clearly showing CANT and headstamp. AS FOUND OUT OF THE BOX.

Word of advise SANDOG, when you spout garbage you should indicate it is your opinion and not fact, otherwise someone is going to step on you hard and prove you wrong.

You can use the (+)plus view to see the cant if your eyes are bad.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:34   #14

i think you are full of dog dirt collector there are 1000s of positive reviews fpr GECO ammo .and it looks to me like you deliberately smashed that round nice try.you need to quit trying to cover up stupidity it wont work here.
Sparkie, 40nascar, sandog and 1 others like this.
curt mini14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:32   #15

I feel so bad, mini collector, that you had to look for hours to find that ammo to prove me wrong.
And I feel bad for myself for "being stepped on hard" by you.
Looks like poor ammo storage/handling on your part.
I seriously doubt the ammo came that way.
I like Geco and will continue to buy it from time to time.

First your hate of the Ultimak, now Geco ammo.
It seems like you read about something I recommend in another thread, then feel compelled to bad mouth it.

Problem is, your views are not only the opposite of my experiences, but also the exact opposite of everyone else's, not only on this forum but in general.

As Curt said, it's easy enough to damage the round in your pic just to prove a point.
We're not convinced.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:02   #16

It is about time someone came out from under the bridge and woke everyone up.
PFerris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:03   #17
Glass Half-Full Member

Reading comprehension is not strong with you.

I proved you do not know what you spout by showing you a canted factory load, DOES NOT MATTER WHO MADE IT OR WHAT CALIBER. You barked it was not possible.

You were wrong and proved your ignorance.

So to further prove you are a know nothing hack you made me spend hours finding MY old rounds. Found a handful I did not end up using. One was as I remembered. Been a few years.

MY 7.62X39 GECO headstamped round clearly showing CANT and headstamp. AS FOUND OUT OF THE BOX.

Word of advise SANDOG, when you spout garbage you should indicate it is your opinion and not fact, otherwise someone is going to step on you hard and prove you wrong.

You can use the (+)plus view to see the cant if your eyes are bad.
You're wasting your time and ours. It doesn't matter if you make a full length feature film on the evils of Geco. You have zero credibility here. You've been a member for two months or less, having not much good to say about anything, and are mistaken on about every topic.

You're attacking Sandog, someone we do know. A guy who gets elbow deep into Mini-30s and is one of our chief resident experts based on real world experiential knowledge. Always experimenting, moding and testing, then sharing the results with us in detail with pictures for a long time now. He has all kinds of credibility. He knows what he's doing.

Who are you? A banned member who's come back with a chip on your shoulder. Somebodiy's ALT? A contrary dude who goes from forum to forum until you get kicked out, and now you're here? Appears to be something like that.

Well here's my official announcement that you're the last person people should take advice from because you don't know what you're talking about, and/or you like making trouble.

We're open to differing views. None of us are in lock-step agreeing on every detail. If we were we'd be no better than Democrats. But your conduct here is blatantly hostile. No one is listening to your nonsense, and no one should.

The only time I've seen an x39 round that was canted like that is when I removed a bullet with an impact bullet puller and it didn't come out straight. One side of the neck became deformed. When you slipped the bullet back in, that's what it looked like. Other than that I've never seen a canted bullet in any factory x39 in over 30 years.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:22   #18

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Been shooting for over 40 years. I have NEVER seen a canted round like that come from a Factory box.

Been reloading 30 + years and it is impossible to cant a round like that while reloading. The die tapers down to a minimum spec in order to keep the bullet straight. Something fishy here.

As far as damaged in shipping......possible. I bought a case of x39mm Hornady from the LGS. The corner of the case box was crushed. One box of ammo took the hit so bad that it had all 50 of the sharp poly tips of the bullets pierced the ammo box. No damage to bullets.

About all I can say.

Bepe
My thoughts exactly.
I couldn't seat a bullet crooked if I tried.
And factories have much more sophisticated loading equipment than my basic single stage Rockchucker.

Damaged in shipment, now that's possible.
But that's out of Geco's hands, and no reason to state that Geco makes an inferior product.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:09   #19

Opinion requested on Geco 7.62x39 ammo.
Opinion given.
Specifically provide information about what I found.
Provided proof with general pic of possibility of canting of another manufacture.
Provided proof with actual pic of what I found with my 1000 rounds.
About 1 in 10 were visible, all in separate boxes. No way of shipment damage.
Proved it was possible and actual for what I received.
Then attacked after hunting for two hours for the old ammo.
Called a lair after providing proof.
Called out the know it all(s) after providing proof. They took no responsibility that they could be wrong.

I am out of here, not willing to associate with a forum of this nature.

Sending email to admin to remove MY account.

No further post will ever be made or replied to.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:14   #20

I think it reasonable that you have some damaged ammo.
However, saying it left the factory like that is unreasonable, considering all of the experiences of thousands of shooters, including myself.
Read some reviews about Geco.
Apparently you are unwilling to admit that the ammo could have been damaged in transit, but instead keep up with your belief that it is poor quality ammo.
Old 05-02-2020, 14:34   #21
Glass Half-Full Member

I am out of here, not willing to associate with a forum of this nature.

Sending email to admin to remove MY account.

No further post will ever be made or replied to.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart... (finally a good answer)
Old 05-02-2020, 14:57   #22
Glass Half-Full Member

For anyone thinking we're being too harsh, this is one of the guy's first posts. I wasn't impressed.

Not so artfully turned very common insults into "Not an insult." This is a guy who redefines the world to suit him. Nuff said...

Mags have never been an issue.

The issue has always been ignorant people. I still see signs of that here.

IGNORANT is not a insult. It means you do not know any better.

"lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated."

Quality mags have always been available.

Ruger factory.
Thermold (OUTSTANDING).
Tapco Gen 2.
PMI (30 or less).
OE brand.

CRAP mags ignorant people buy.

ProMag.
USA.
KCI.
Ramline.
National.
John Masen.
TripleK.
Eagle.
Old 05-02-2020, 17:10   #23

MY RESULTS WERE POOR!

So poor results I had to sell it off.

Wolf liked a H2 buffer. Geco needed a light carbine buffer and it still cycled poorly.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think bullets can not be canted and poorly crimped.

Bad batch likely but do not try to be a know it all when you can be easily proven wrong.

Self proclaimed resident expert. LOL.

Tested it side by side with Wolf poly performance, Night and day results.

I have seen ammo that looked like that when case necks were annealed and where heated to much and not cooled properly (way to soft) and collapsed when reloaded.
Another one bites the dust...
Never saw any from the factory like that.
Liability for factory shipped ammo like that would be immense.
With the tech used at a factory during inspection the only problem I've seen is a recall for powder problems.
curt mini14 and Bepe like this.
Old 05-02-2020, 20:32   #24

What do you expect from a guy that thinks Thermold mags are GTG! Mine never were even 80%.
As to Geco ammo, I have only tried x39 and it has been great in all three of my M30s and two ARs. When I was assigned to our dept.range, I saw some not-so-great factory ammo but those were dented brass, loose projectiles, collapsed mouths, but never canted projectiles like collector states. As picky as mostof us shooters are, I'm SURE this ammo would have been red tagged by us somewhere along the way.
SAN14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:48   #25
Pontifex Discordia

Maybe his hacked-up AR and crappy mags produced jams that damaged the bullets.

Is that head stamp legible to anybody? You'd think that a guy trying to post a picture in support of something would make an effort to ensure the important bits were clear.
sandog likes this.
Strake is offline   Reply With Quote