Geco 7.62x39mm Ammo 124 Grain Full Metal Jacket - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 04:57   #26

Bullets canted that much would be more believable on a cartridge with a very short neck, like 5.56mm. The neck on a 7.62 x 39 is at least twice that long.
I'd have to slam a round in a door, or run over it with a truck to get bullets that canted.
If factories do screw up on a load, it is with the powder charge 99% of the time.

The only centerfire factory ammo I bought that had problems was a couple boxes of S&B .223 I bought about 10 years ago.
Several of the rounds in each box had primers seated upside down or no primers at all.
I wasn't happy, but I don't go on and on about how all Sellier & Belloit ammo is crap. I've shot S&B since in various calibers and it has been fine.
curt mini14 and Strake like this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:41   #27
Banned

Based upon what I read here, bought 200 rounds of GECO for my new Ruger American Ranch for informal range shooting.
Strake, sandog and sandog like this.
LousyShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 14:12   #28

It seems to be fine for the informal range shooting role, and the empty brass will be great for reloads. The brass looks identical to the PPU brass I've used for years.
But if you want full velocity ammo, there are better choices.
I saw weak cycling last week with my SS/Syn Mini, so I grabbed the Wood Mini and went back out today.
Same thing, Geco barely cycled, a couple of them didn't work the action. The other ammo shot, PPU, Silver Bear and my SST handloads all ejected 8-10 feet.

I noticed the same thing a couple years ago with Fiocchi, it was a full 400 fps slower than everything else.
Strange because European ammo is usually loaded a bit hotter than ours.

Unfortunately I don't have my chronograph handy, I'm in the process of moving to a part of Arizona that's a bit lower with less winter, (and less wind) and most of my stuff is already down there.

As Bepe and I pointed out, the Geco is worth it just for the brass, 100 pieces of empty brass alone will set you back around $40-$50.
And it is as accurate as your average FMJ practice ammo. Just don't expect it to give top velocities.
The build quality is high, no canted bullets, dented brass, etc, just wish they'd pack more powder in them.
The power level won't matter with a bolt gun, but for a Mini you might need to put in a larger bushing if you get a good deal on Geco.
Bepe likes this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2020, 14:24   #29
Banned

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
It seems to be fine for the informal range shooting role, and the empty brass will be great for reloads. The brass looks identical to the PPU brass I've used for years.
But if you want full velocity ammo, there are better choices.
I saw weak cycling last week with my SS/Syn Mini, so I grabbed the Wood Mini and went back out today.
Same thing, Geco barely cycled, a couple of them didn't work the action. The other ammo shot, PPU, Silver Bear and my SST handloads all ejected 8-10 feet.

I noticed the same thing a couple years ago with Fiocchi, it was a full 400 fps slower than everything else.
Strange because European ammo is usually loaded a bit hotter than ours.

Unfortunately I don't have my chronograph handy, I'm in the process of moving to a part of Arizona that's a bit lower with less winter, (and less wind) and most of my stuff is already down there.

As Bepe and I pointed out, the Geco is worth it just for the brass, 100 pieces of empty brass alone will set you back around $40-$50.
And it is as accurate as your average FMJ practice ammo. Just don't expect it to give top velocities.
The build quality is high, no canted bullets, dented brass, etc, just wish they'd pack more powder in them.
The power level won't matter with a bolt gun, but for a Mini you might need to put in a larger bushing if you get a good deal on Geco.
Thanks...only have the one rifle in that caliber and I only target shoot at 100-200 yards or so. I paid 40 cents a round for the ammo...
sandog likes this.
LousyShot is offline   Reply With Quote