Oh Lucy, I'M BACK!!!!! - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2020, 19:20   #51

Yippee. Pick it up tomorrow at 930! Tonight I will be like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" waiting for his Red Ryder BB Gun!:

jumpluff, 40nascar and RJF like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 20:07   #52

Congrat's
We will of course need to see pics
Old 05-28-2020, 13:02   #53

I have it! It has been shot enough to smooth the action, and it has the sweetest trigger pull of any Mini I have ever shot! Maybe 3 lbs tops, and crisp. Possibly had a trigger job. It had an aftermarket rail on it for the Primary Arms red dot (which came separate in its original box), so I pitched that since I have a Ruger factory rail still. The strut is not an accu-Strut, but possibly a Mo=Reaper or something. It has machined aluminum clamps for tapered barrel, and single screws in each clamp. I took it off, as to me it just adds weight, and I am not convinced I need it for a sub-100 yard HD carbine.

While I like the poly stock it cam in, I popped it into the mint Ruger factory wood stock. It just feels more substantial. I also installed a Wilson 1911 buffer up front, and a Black Jack rear buffer. If it causes it not to lock back after the last shot, I'll replace it with a 1911 buffer on the rear too.

He used red locktite to keep the strut from moving around, so it has red rings where the clamps were. Acetone didn't touch it, I'll have to try Mineral Spirits to get it off.

All in all, I love it! Not sure if I will used the Primary Arms red dot, or stick with iron sights at this point. Pics in a couple days when I am not do busy.

Old 05-28-2020, 18:37   #54

My baby. I put it in the wood stock, and changed to a Choate handguard to improve cooling. I'll hand on to the poly stock, in case I ever need to tote the gun in the mountains. A half pound makes a difference!

The two red rings around the barrel are where he used red Loctite to keep the MO-Rod from moving. I'll have to hit it with some heat to take it off. It seems impervious to acetone!

Here is the minty Inland M1 Carbine 1944/1945 production) I DROSed at the same time.

jumpluff, 40nascar, Beck and 1 others like this.
Old 05-29-2020, 18:37   #55

I can't wait to bust some caps with the Mini. This trigger is soooo sweet. I have yet to check the gas block bolts, but off-hand it looks at least like the gap is pretty even. HAd to use heat and a bronze brush wheel to get the dang red loctite off. Polished the bead blasting somewhat. Lightly take a sponge backed emory cloth to rough it back up a bit.
Old 05-29-2020, 22:09   #56

Looks great!
imarangemaster likes this.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:35   #57

Ill take more pics. I finally cleaned the loctite off the barrel...
Old 05-30-2020, 08:30   #58

Just ordered 1,000 rounds of Federal/Lake City M193. Since I just had my 1/7 AR15, all I have around is a couple hundred rounds of Mk262 MOD1 77 grain factory, about 500 rounds of 77 grain MK 262 clone reloads, and a couple hundred rounds of 55 grain reloads.

M193 was designed for, and works best from 18" to 20" barrels. M193 is designed to yaw, tumble, and come apart at 2550-2600 FPS and above. From a 16 inch barrel, that is about 150-170 yards. From 18-20", it reaches out to 225-250, IIRC. In my LEO career, I have seen the damage done by the M193 from a 20" barrel.

While the 77s worked OK to 100 and even 200 on the gong from my last Mini, they are really the better choice for my short barrel M4, since they don't need the high velocity to be destructive like M193.

With that said, though, I'll still probably load the mini with 77s for HD use, since I am moving back into my neighborhood house (all half acre and above). It does not penetrate barriers as well as M193, which for HD is a good thing. I do want a bunch of M193, though, for general purpose and barrier penetration.
jumpluff likes this.
Old 05-30-2020, 16:09   #59

So Imarangemaster...if you get truly and properly bored and want to do a bit of testing...

Nothing big, maybe 5 rounds? I would love to know what you find with the 77 grain ammo in terms of minute of paper plate accuracy at 100 yards or so. Get the job done out of the 18.5 inch barrel? Does it keyhole?

I have never put anything that heavy down the barrel of my Mini, but would love to have a point of reference if it was all I had in a time of need.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:42   #60

With my blued 583 series I had a few years ago, there was no keyholing. It gave around 2 MOA + or -, with best group 1.6 MOA from IMI MK262 MOD1. I have a scope I will pop on to test it next time I go to the range.
jumpluff likes this.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:15   #61

Ive shot 75gr OTM our of my Mini tactical 16.1 barrel at 1:9 twist and it was effective on 100, 200, 300y (10, 12, 12) steel repeated hits. Was confident it is combat effective. Im not certain it wasnt tumbling by 300 but didnt see tumbling at 100 on paper, only checked there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jumpluff and imarangemaster like this.
lordmorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:22   #62

Oh Lucy, I'M BACK!!!!!

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post

He used red locktite to keep the strut from moving around, so it has red rings where the clamps were. Acetone didn't touch it, I'll have to try Mineral Spirits to get it off.

You want heat. Try a heat gun, basic hairdryer, candle or torch but not to burn just getting hot and it will clean off easy.

** edit I see I missed where you said this! Glad it came off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lordmorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:11   #63

Picked up a minty Japanese steel Tubed Bushnell Banner 1x2.5X scope on Ebay for $100 shipped. The Vintage Japanese Bushnell Banner scopes are really quality units,(still have a 3x9 floating around that is 50+ years old), and are far superior to the China made stuff they are selling now.

It has 1" tube, so I can use factory rings. It is light weight and sturdy, and will make a 200 yard target look like 75 yards, which is good enough for me. The 77 has over 900 ft lbs at 200 yards, and breaks up traumatically, penetrating 14". At 300, it still has over 740 foot pounds ME, and still breaks up dramatically.

I will probably run wood stock with scope, and Poly stock without scope to weigh in more than a pound less.
Beck likes this.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 06-01-2020 at 12:52.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:12   #64

Here it is back in its poly stock. First is with the light weight 2.5 Busnell Banner scope and Ruger 10 round. This would be my target/hunting configuration. I don't have a scales handy but it should be under 7 lbs, as the scope is very light. I love wood stocks more, but it adds about 9 ounces over the poly. I could tote the poly and scope for less weight than wood alone, or the poly with a loaded Tapco 30 for less than wood stock alone. I have no plans to get rid if the wood stock, but after shooting with both stocks, the Poly wins for now.

Here it is in Home defense mode: Iron Sights and and a Tapco 30. While the Ruger factory 20 is handier, it weighs almost the same as the Tapco 30 loaded.

jumpluff, r80rt, Jazzsax8 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 06-10-2020 at 10:57.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:51   #65
Glass Half-Full Member

Looks good!

Amazing how just a little magnification with a scope can be plenty. Same with my Burris 2.75X scout scope. It really lights things up and makes 200 yards look easy.
John 15:13

Last edited by Beck; 06-10-2020 at 11:10.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 14:23   #66

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Looks good!

Amazing how just a little magnification with a scope can be plenty. Same with my Burris 2.75X scout scope. It really lights things up and makes 200 yards look easy.

Yep, past 100, my 68 year old eyes struggle anymore, though a can usually hit the 12" 200 yard gong still with iron. I am a fan of the 60s and 70s Japanese scopes. My 3x9 Japanese scope is still awesome (though it was too heavy for what I wanted here. The 2.5 weighs little and does not make it any harder to carry. For an HD carbine though, 25-35 yards would be a long shot. Best to have the open sights close in. At those ranges, I would pretty much just sight down the barrel with the master eye, and keep the left eye open too.
Beck likes this.
Old 06-10-2020, 16:19   #67
Glass Half-Full Member

Yeah, it's a little different with a conventional over-the-reciever scope. I have good irons on my Mini-30, but I find a scout scope is the fastest to the draw as far as target acquisition of anything I've tried. My Burris 2.75X is the newer heavy plex variety. I have it zeroed at 200 yards, so it's also zero at around 25 yards with the hot 7.62x39 I use.

I also have my older original Burris 1.5X scout with a German reticle. It makes for lightning fast target acquisition, but I think the heavy plex reticle on the 2.75X beats it by a hair. It's a simple matter of putting your eyes on target (center mass for HD/SD), laying the glass over your dominant eye, with both eyes open... and bang!

I've practiced a lot with bringing the Mini up from ready position (rifle about waist high) to firing position over the years so it's second nature. I've never timed it. I doubt I could. It's literally a split second to on target.

But the irons are good too for Close Quarters HD. Classic Jeff Cooper-esque ghost ring rear sight that mates well with a scout scope setup. It's a threaded Ghost ring from XS Sight systems, so I can screw in smaller apertures from Williams and Skinner if needed for tighter, longer shots.
r80rt likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:48   #68

Imarm, Nice rifle, always wanted a s/s mini but never got one. But you’ve got your lines mixed up, Jack Nicholson says ‘I’m back.’ While Ricky says ‘Lucy, I’m home.’. Enjoy your nice rifle, sounds like you found a deal.
Baltimoreed is online now   Reply With Quote