Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By kwg020
  • 4 Post By sandog
  • 3 Post By RJF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2020, 11:35   #1

"credit card bedding"

I'm really a new guy here and you guys have helped me greatly getting my two new mini 14 & 30 ready for the range. I have glass bedded several rifles and am a firm believer in it. But, I would like to know about the"credit card bedding". I've seen it mentioned many times and would like to give it a try as the range is still in lock-down and I seem to have alot of time on my hands.
Richard Coss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:32   #2

Hello Richard
The credit card bedding is nothing more than cutting up an old credit card to use in the Mini between the stock and the legs of the receiver. Simply cut one to the size that will fit in and not be visible from the top or interfere with locking the receiver into the action. I have them front and back of the receiver in a polymer stock. It does keep the receiver from lateral movements inside of the stock.

kwg
RJF likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 16:59   #3

Here's a pic of one of the shims on my poly stock. I roughed up the stock where the shim was to go, and roughed up the back of the shims, to help them adhere, and epoxied them in.
I also tapered the top of the shims so that the receiver would not grab the shim and want to tear it loose when seating the receiver back into the stock.
hylander, PFerris, RJF and 1 others like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2020, 18:04   #4
The Lord Humungus

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Here's a pic of one of the shims on my poly stock. I roughed up the stock where the shim was to go, and roughed up the back of the shims, to help them adhere, and epoxied them in.
I also tapered the top of the shims so that the receiver would not grab the shim and want to tear it loose when seating the receiver back into the stock.
I'm gonna try that on a Choate stock. This spot and the opposite side, are they the only shim points? Did you notice any effect on accuracy? I'll use one of my wife's credit cards.
wonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 18:47   #5

I do pretty much the same as Sandog.
I use Brass shim stock from the hardware store, works pretty darn good.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:09   #6

I had some galvanized sheet metal left over from a heating duct that worked fine and should hold up for a long time. However I rarely take the action out of the stock. The shaping I ended up with does not resemble Sandog’s. I have more shim along the upper edge. Beveling the shim is an excellent point so it is easier to reinstall the action w/o snagging the shim. My stock is the factory polymer that came with the “all weather” SS version I chose for the rainy NW.

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.

Gun control=OSHA for criminals

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:46   #7
RJF

Did the credit-card shim on my 583 Tactical in its synthetic stock. Worked like a champ in eliminating lateral movement. Didn't have any vertical movement. At the risk of sounding nerdy, some credit/debit/gift cards have different thicknesses. Mine was an old VISA. BTW, the NRA card is too thin, generally...Same with AAA...

Bottom line, as "all Minis are different", so are credit-cards. My old adage: don't throw nuthin' away worked in this rare instance. There are plenty of other options available (e.g. vinyl siding scraps, old 3.5" floppy drive casing, etc.), but we all seem to have some old credit cards laying around. To keep in place, I just used a glue-stick and a small clamp for about five minutes...
sandog, kurthepler and SmilePlease like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote