Street Prices for Mini's going up big time. - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 08:46   #26

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
I bought my first mini in the early 1980's when they were $300 out the door price, at a time when Ar15's were $500 or more depending on variation. The price of mini's have crept up, and price wise where they were when you take inflation into consideration. These days you can still buy an AR for $500. They are are bargain by comparison. That said, i won't trade my wood and steel for a plastic mattel toy. I still have my stainless 182 series mini that i bought nearly 40 yrs ago. I love it, shoot it, and it will be passed down to one of my sons.
Roger that. Bought my first Mini 14 back then too - I paid $290, all up including tax. Picked up a Security Six about the same time, remember it as $190 including tax. Damn' that was a long time back. Picked up a full case of M193 ball and a half case of .357 maggie, reckoned I was set for TEOTWAWKI, particularly when I added in a set of 4x Ruger white box 30 bangers for the Mini and a couple of HKS speedloaders for the Sec-Six.....

Just a trip down memory lane. Still dig the Mini even though its not the poor-man's rifle any more.

Grumpy
40nascar likes this.
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 00:26   #27

OK Guys, don't get me wrong, I have guns I won't sell under any circumstances, however I have so many that there are always ones that go unused or just don't work out.

I just sold two guns in the last two weeks. A 1950 12ga. Browning A5 which I had been trying to sell for over a year. I sold it because I have two much nicer A5's which cover field use and My 3 gun and Front Sight Class use. I even lost money on that one but it had to go. That gun paid for some Dental Work.

The other one was a project I lost interest in a few years ago and I wanted it gone, and I did alright on that one. The proceeds from that sale will NOT be going to anything else but Recreational Pursuits.

If someone offered me $1100 for my 580 series Mini 14 it would be gone in 10 seconds. and I would order an new 584 Series Tactical Model to replace it.

I don't sell guns that I really like that I can't replace. If I can replace one with better one then so be it.

Randy
Old 05-10-2020, 08:52   #28

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
OK Guys, don't get me wrong, I have guns I won't sell under any circumstances, however I have so many that there are always ones that go unused or just don't work out.

I just sold two guns in the last two weeks. A 1950 12ga. Browning A5 which I had been trying to sell for over a year. I sold it because I have two much nicer A5's which cover field use and My 3 gun and Front Sight Class use. I even lost money on that one but it had to go. That gun paid for some Dental Work.

The other one was a project I lost interest in a few years ago and I wanted it gone, and I did alright on that one. The proceeds from that sale will NOT be going to anything else but Recreational Pursuits.

If someone offered me $1100 for my 580 series Mini 14 it would be gone in 10 seconds. and I would order an new 584 Series Tactical Model to replace it.

I don't sell guns that I really like that I can't replace. If I can replace one with better one then so be it.

Randy
I picked up my first Mini in or around 1985. It belonged to a friend who was working over seas. I paid $235 for it. I later had ASI put a heavy barrel on it. It sits in my gun locker and has for years. I wanted it to be my coyote sniper rifle. It hasn't happened. It has had exactly 78 rounds through it in 19 years.

If prices on Mini's keep going up, it may find a new home.

kwg
2rangers likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2020, 09:15   #29

Bought my 185 in 1994 during the panic for $275 when ARs were going for $700 and up.
Bolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 17:09   #30

I picked up my first Mini, a "200th year " 180 series in about 1982 or 1983.. It came with half a dozen assorted mags for about $225, IIRC. The stock had been painted black, I guess to make it more dangerous looking!

Great little rifle. I also had an M1 Carbine. Ever since then I have always thought of the Mini-14 as an M1 Carbine with a "Stiffy"! Since then I have always had at least an M1 Carbine or a Mini-14, or more often than not both!
40nascar and tcsafety like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:43   #31

Mini 14 prices are getting out of control. $700 to $800 or more are pretty outlandish. That said I picked up a real beater for $200. A 183 series that got left outdoors for months. Alot of rust and pitting on the outer surface of the barrel from water damage. May have to send it back to ruger to get a new bolt fitted to get it running.
2rangers and sandog like this.
Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:19   #32

All guns a getting expensive, not just Minis. WASR AKs 10 years ago sold for $350, now $900 to $1000. Marlin Lever guns are up, Remington and Winchesters are up, and Uberti replica cowboy lever guns have gone up as much as Minis (an 1866 sold for $700 10 years ago, and is now $1300).

The only exception is the AR15 "erector set gun" which has flooded the market so badly that the supply exceeds demand. There are so many AR receiver makers and parts makers, it is impossible to list them all.

I did get a great deal on mine, though, at $795 for a 581 Stainless. (Especially sincy I got $500 in mags and accessories included at that price!)
2rangers, sandog and tcsafety like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:33   #33

A rusty Mini sounds like a good candidate for sandblast and Cerakote.
The blasting will remove all but the worst pitting, make a nice even matte surface, and the Cerakote will ensure it will never get rusted again.
I've Cerakoted all my Minis, either in FDE or Sniper Grey.

This Nylon 66 was picked up last summer for $175, it had some rust on the barrel.
Pristine Nylons go for upwards of $400. It got Sniper Grey Cerakote, it is now even more weatherproof than when stock.

I got this Glenfield 30/30 for free, the previous owner had left it in a damp case after hunting season. It had rust all over the barrel and action, but it wasn't real deep.
The Birch stock was also very water damaged.
I sent it to JES ReBoring and had it rechambered/rebored to .356 Winchester, blasted the metal and refinished in Sniper Grey Cerakote, and bought a Deluxe Walnut stock from Marlin for $200. Total invested in rifle project was $450 not counting the scope.
I don't normally like scopes on a lever, but this was a 300 plus yard performer.

That $200 beater Mini could be made into a real peach, for no more money than what a new one would set you back.

$700 to $800 for a new Mini is normal. What gets me is guys asking $1100-$1200 for a beat up pencil barrel Mini.

I keep an eye out for older Mini-30s, not into the Mini-14s anymore. I've held off until I could get them for $400-$500. QC was better on the older ones, you never hear of an older one having problems right out of the box.
I'd be pissed if I spent $800 on a new Mini and it had to go back to Ruger right away.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 16:36   #34

Tony; your Marlin is on par with the Limited Edition Series of rifles Marlin is producing now which are in the $1350 range. That would be $1350 without the scope...

Oh, and the Glenfield, Western Field and Revelation Branded guns are highly desirable due to the rarity of J.C.Penny, Montgomery Wards and Western Auto guns. They are all Marlin 30 AS .

You did a nice job on that one !!!

How are you curing your Cera Kote?
I have some of the new stuff that cures in a week without cooking.

I did all my small parts for my CZ82's in a Toaster Oven but the barreled action won't fit in that.

Randy.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-17-2020 at 16:53.
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote