• 2 Post By westernNY
  • 1 Post By Beck
  • 3 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By Richard Coss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2020, 15:24   #1

Gas block removal

Well, I thought I had every tool known to man. But, guess I don't. What tool are you guys using to torque those 4 allen head bolts back in? Been looking for a 9/64 1/4 drive socket, Can't find one. How are you doing it?
Richard Coss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 19:16   #2

This is how I do it. https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...gas-block.html

Old 04-24-2020, 21:50   #3
Glass Half-Full Member

I use an inch-pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Very inexpensive, but they work very well. I made my own socket by epoxying a straight piece of 9/64 Allen key into a 1/4 to 9/64 socket. People recommend torque between 30 and 40 inch-pounds. 30 or 35 inch-pounds seem to be the most common recommendations.

I couldn't find a socket with a 9/64 Allen key ready made in any store around here. And making my own was easier and less expensive than anything I could find on the web.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2020, 07:32   #4

Try to flag down the snap on man one day or order this: https://www.protorquetools.com/9-64-...ng-bit-socket/
51colt, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:20   #5

Thanks for the heads up I will have my son in law pick one up for me.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:01   #6
The Lord Humungus

Fleabay. Need a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter for your Fatwrench

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Drive-L...r=585230590488
Beck likes this.
wonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:09   #7
Registered Member

I use a vortex in/lb torque wrench (more of a screw driver) and an Amartisan 9/64 long hex bit (included in the Metric and Imperial combined set). I got both of these on Amazon. The whole setup is small enough to live in one of my pouches on my rifle bag and long enough to reach those screws easily.
Jazzsax8 and Beck like this.
westernNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 19:30   #8
Glass Half-Full Member

I also bought a 4mm Allen key, which is close but slightly bigger than 9/64" Then I very carefully filed down each surface of the hex at one end until it barely fit in the 9/64" screw with no wiggle room at all.

I learned the hard way years ago when I first removed a Mini-30 gas block that it can take enough force to strip out the hex head of a screw. I like to never get that thing off the first time. The screws were staked. It was like wrestling a bear to say the least.

So the converted 4mm key is for emergencies, in case I ever run across another Mini with a gas block that's never been removed and is as difficult as the first one I removed.
GAMEOVER likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:51   #9
RJF

Alternatively, if you can find a 9/64" " socket. just get a standard 9/64 Allen wrench and chop off the end of the long end. If need-be, use a little J-B Weld to seat it into the socket.

As far as removing without stripping, use an impact drill/driver. They work great!
Jazzsax8, Beck and wonkman like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 16:39   #10
Registered Member

I have 4

Share your address and I'll send you 1
kurthepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 19:28   #11

Thanks you much kurthepler, westernNY gave me the lead to get the driver I needed from amazon and it's due here Sat. Thanks everyone for replies and help. I did get the screws removed from the series 584. They were staked but came out very easily. Haven't tried the series 188 yet but shouldn't be a problem, the staking is pretty light. Just went out to the garage and loosened the 4 9/64 allen screws on the 188. Both of these rifles are new so it looks like I lucked out compared to some on the stories I've read here on the forum. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-04-2020, 00:18   #12

I use a Wheeler Fat Wrench to torque the gas block. Midway has them on sale for $35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:57   #13

Just got my 9/64 driver bit this morning got both the 188 and 584 gas jets changed. when much easier than I thought it was going to be. But, both rifles were NIB so didn't have any carbon build-up to deal with. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 05-04-2020, 17:17   #14

Sometimes NIB Minis can be harder to remove the gas block.
No significant carbon build up, maybe a small amount if it was test fired, but gas block screws can be staked rather well. You put more and more pressure on the wrench, nothing is moving, then POP !

A Mini I bought a couple years ago from a couple in Montana was 30 years old (189 series) and I had to take it apart to change the bushing because I cut it to 16 inches.
Yeah, I know, a virtually unfired pristine 30 year old Mini and sandog was modding it right away.

The gas bushing and gas pipe had almost zero carbon in there, and I know the couple had not taken it apart to clean the carbon because the gas block screws were still staked.
I didn't really need another Mini-30 at the time, but saw it at a gunshow a few days before and I noticed how nice it was. Price was $450. I asked the guy at the table if he'd take $400. He said he was selling it for some friends so he couldn't take less until he talked to them.
I moved on but the next few days was kicking myself for not going ahead and paying $450. I looked in the newspaper classifieds and there was a Ruger Mini-30 advertised for $450. I called the number and told them I was interested. They met me at a local Ranch store and I knew when I saw it that it was the one from the gunshow.
I told them that since no one was interested when it was at the show, would they take $400, and they said yes.

It didn't turn out to be as accurate as the other three 189s I had, so I ended up selling it to a guy I knew.
But man, it still had that "new Mini" smell, it was so clean.
I wish I could buy one at that price now, even if it has seen some use.

jumpluff likes this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 19:13   #15

sandog, Both of these rifles were staked just enough to be able see a small punch mark on each bolt end. Only had one out of the eight needed any muscle. I really feel blessede.
RJF likes this.