• 1 Post By Jazzsax8
  • 2 Post By kwg020
  • 1 Post By Jazzsax8
  • 1 Post By Momo
  • 1 Post By Jazzsax8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2020, 08:30   #1

First time out and its a keeper!

New to me 2005 580 pencil barrel .223/5.56 added the GG&G scope mount, XDrill Accu Strut, #3 trigger shoe that almost fits and a Bushnell Legend 5-15 scope just for ammo testing. Plan to put the Sightron 4 recticle red dot on it when I get a few loads worked up. Will also try the Butler Creek folder later on to compare how it shoots. Also put two springs in the trigger assembly and did a minor amount of sear work to get a repeatable/dependable 3.25# trigger pull.

Took it out 2 days ago on a light wind (8mph) day on the Colorado prairie at a measured 100 yards. Tried a few handloads so don't use any of my specifics without proper investigation of loading manuals and techniques please. All were blem bullets from Midway, Rem 7 1/2 primers, LC cases trimmed with a loaded OAL around 2.260.

55gr flat base cannelure looked like a Hornady S.P. blem
27.0 CFE 223 average velocity 2849 S.D. 25 [email protected]" [email protected] 1 3/4" very promising

53gr. boattail probably a Hornady V-Max but a blem
26.5 TAC average velocity 3089 S.D. 22 [email protected] 1 1/8" [email protected] 3/4" super promising

55gr same flat base as above
27.0 Varget no chrony readings [email protected] 1 7/16" [email protected] 15/16" O.K. but not a good load for the progressive with case too full.

Shot other rounds sighting in etc etc not allowing barrel to cool down too much. Looking foward to duplicating this success sometime soon including 2-300 yard testing. I have some Hornady V-Max 60gr flat base and Sierra 69gr Matchkings to try as well but lots of 55/53gr blems for offhand dirt kicking loads. After owning another Mini recently with the 1-7 twist that shot 3 1/2" at 100, this one is a keeper!
Attached Thumbnails
First time out and its a keeper!-dscf6660.jpg  
kwg020, 2rangers, jumpluff and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Jazzsax8; 04-23-2020 at 10:21. Reason: additional info
Jazzsax8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:37   #2
RJF

Jazz, nice pics! As long as you are happy! Skinny-Minis can be made to be great shooters. Just don't forget they are carbines - made to be light. Also know they can be made to be great accurate shooters (not sniper-grade, but close) with enough effort. All capabilities are available, depending on your pocket-book...
kwg020, 2rangers, Momo and 1 others like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:46   #3

yes

RJF

Well you have me thinking it might be best to try the factory open sights after I get an accurate load worked up. When shooting my pistols I am more accurate using a red dot but prefer open sights more as you can easily see where you hit or miss what you are shooting at when the dust kicks up or clay pidgeon explodes. It might be a similar situation with the Mini and will give it a try.

I have plans to put this nice Sightron 4 recticle red dot on it because it is laying there with nothing to put it on.

I am also trying to find a .045-.050 gas bushing (.295 tall) to reduce my 25'-30' ejection to 15'. I hate to spend $40+ on a kit when I only need just one.
2rangers likes this.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:37   #4

Originally Posted by Jazzsax8 View Post
RJF

Well you have me thinking it might be best to try the factory open sights after I get an accurate load worked up. When shooting my pistols I am more accurate using a red dot but prefer open sights more as you can easily see where you hit or miss what you are shooting at when the dust kicks up or clay pidgeon explodes. It might be a similar situation with the Mini and will give it a try.

I have plans to put this nice Sightron 4 recticle red dot on it because it is laying there with nothing to put it on.

I am also trying to find a .045-.050 gas bushing (.295 tall) to reduce my 25'-30' ejection to 15'. I hate to spend $40+ on a kit when I only need just one.
Hello Jazz
I want to put my ASI gas block on my 580 series Mini and take the Ruger standard gas block off and put it on my ASI customized barrel 184 series but I need a full length gas bushing. We have a guy by the name of Lee Hadaway on this forum who makes the gas bushings. I need a .040 gas bushing to do this successfully. If you order 3 I will buy one from you. Lee only sells in packs of 3. If you order the .040, .045 and .050 I will pay 1/3 of what ever you paid to get the .040 bushing. I don't have Lee's information at this second but I'm sure someone does or Lee will pop up and give you his information.
Thanks for considering it.
kwg
2rangers and Jazzsax8 like this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:26   #5

yes

KWG

Thanks for that great offer to help and yes I got some info from Lee and the price delivered was $45. If it put it in a padded envelope 1st class mail I think $18 would be a good deal for one new. I was hoping to find a used one for about $12 delivered. It would be really nice if you would buy the three and mail me the .050 for $18! I will probably proceed to get the set and sell the third single for another $18 delivered.
2rangers likes this.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:35   #6

Nice, and yes, don't sell the skinny barrels short. I've got a 186 series stainless and after doing comparable mods (accustrut/trigger job/bushing) my groups went from 3"+ to averaging 1.5" which is more than acceptable to me.

Combined with the mini's light weight and to me far superior ergonomics compared to a black rifle and it makes it a pleasure to shoot and carry in the field.
2rangers likes this.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:35   #7

yes

OK the deed is done, just paid by PayPal. Message me your details and I will let you know when I ship.

I guess I need to pick up some new gas block screws at my ACE hardware. The one in Eaton, CO has more gun screws that you can imagine!

Thanks,
Marshall in Greeley, CO
2rangers likes this.

Last edited by Jazzsax8; 04-24-2020 at 08:40. Reason: new info