• 2 Post By Gregg28
  • 1 Post By Beck
  • 2 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By Gregg28
  • 3 Post By Beck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2020, 05:32   #1

Newbie Question, Screws on Wood Stock

OK, first Mini 30 on order, due in about a week. I could only get it with a polymer stock, so I picked up a used wood stock and I am refinishing it.
Question: The wood stock has bolt holes on either side of the magazine and the polymer stock does not. What are the holes for? Are they special bolts or can I get them from Ruger? Are they necessary?

Thanks,
Gregg
Gregg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:02   #2

Hi Gregg.
The holes in the wood stock are for a magwell reinforcement bracket, which Ruger doesn't deem necessary for the polymer stock.

You can get the bracket, washers and screws (one of each washer and screw needed for each side) from Brownell's, Midway or gunpartscorp.com.

The mag well bracket for the Mini-30 is wider at the back than the bracket for a Mini-14, and less common.
You'll have a harder time finding the Mini-30 bracket, most of the ones you'll see listed are for the Mini-14.

If the wood stock you bought is for a Mini-14, it will have to be opened up (widened) at the back by almost 3/16" on each side.
This is due to the x39 cartridge being much fatter at the base. Then the Mini-30 mags will fit in the magwell opening.

If you can't locate a Mini-30 magwell bracket, I have heard of guys re-bend a Mini-14 one, but that can be a bit tricky, as you might end up with the holes too short of the screw holes.

I have both a wood stock and a polymer stock Mini, and while the wood looks cool, if I need to grab a Mini for an extended desert camping trip, or grab one of my Mini's for bug out when SHTF, I'd grab the polymer stock one every time.

The polymer is a good 3/4 pound lighter, will take more abuse, trimmer( not as fat width wise) less reflective, has checkering for those times when your hands are wet, bloody or sweating, and will take a side sling mount easier ( the very best way to mount a sling ).
The fact that Ruger doesn't think a magwell reinforcement bracket is necessary on the synthetic stock should also tell you that it is stiffer and more stout in a critical thin area around the magazine.

Last edited by sandog; 04-19-2020 at 06:43. Reason: Stupid spellcheck on my phone keeps changing my words
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:31   #3

Thanks for the info. I will see what I can find. I hear you on the superiority of the polymer, and I will keep it, but I do like a wood stock.
2rangers and sandog like this.

Old 04-19-2020, 18:22   #4
Glass Half-Full Member

I used to see the Mini-30 reinforcement brackets everywhere and very inexpensive not more than a year ago. Now my major go-to sources, which Sandog listed above say out of stock or discontinued. I don't know if it's COVID-19 madness related or not. Seems a lot of things are out of stock since everyone and their mother panicked.

They're still out there... maybe some other sites or Gunbroker or eBay. One thing that will help your search is to go to Ruger's website and look up the manual for a wood stock model from near the same series number as yours. look at the parts list and search the part number on the web. In Ruger nomenclature the official name for the part is "Stock Reinforcement Assembly." Using different search terms will increase your chances of finding one. They come in blued and stainless. I don't know if the bracket has changed over the years from the older Mini-30 to the post 580 series or not.

Midway has the screws and washers.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=48

Oh... and don't forget to check with Ruger. They sell parts!

I also prefer wood stocks. My 189 Series Mini-30 has only had the original wood stock for the 30 years I've had it. In fact, I have no long guns at all without wood stocks. However, for my next Mini-30 I may go with a later model with the factory black polymer stock and use my black Choate handguard with it
2rangers likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:25   #5

The only reinforcement for a 30 that I could find was a polymer one. Since I can not post links yet, I can tell you it is on kenarnoldcsa dot com.
A little hesitant. I am going to try bending the Mini 14 part first, and keep looking. Like I said, the rifle is coming with a polymer stock, so I am not in a hurry.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:51   #6

You might end up liking it with the polymer stock !
The synthetic stocks can be Cerakoted in some color other than black, green, brown, grey, etc.
That is my one dislike of the Ruger polymer stock, it only comes in black, so I have done them in grey and FDE:

Some aftermarket companies that make polymer stocks aren't as confident in their stiffness as Ruger is in theirs', so they provide a mag well reinforcement with the stock, or tell you to use the one that came with your wood stock.
Choate is one company that makes a few different kinds of polymer stocks for the Mini, and it requires a mag well reinforcement.
I liked this pistol grip stock I got from Choate, but the first one had fitment issues, and was noodly soft up front.

You could try to ask Choate if they have a mag well reinforcement bracket they'd sell you. Another place to try would be ASI, but don't be tempted to buy any of their overpriced accessories for the Mini, 99% aren't really needed.
Only thing I'll buy from ASI are bushings, now that they have the "one size fits all" worked out.
2rangers and Beck like this.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 13:38   #7
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
The only reinforcement for a 30 that I could find was a polymer one. Since I can not post links yet, I can tell you it is on kenarnoldcsa dot com.
A little hesitant. I am going to try bending the Mini 14 part first, and keep looking. Like I said, the rifle is coming with a polymer stock, so I am not in a hurry.
I just got online to share that link for you. I would be surprised if that were plastic, but I've been surprised before. It looks like the standard metal assembly to me, at twice the price they were going for just a year ago. Shipping is reasonable though.

I would call them to be sure, unless you already have. Searching the part number (RUG51101) from that link brought up other sources that list it as metal construction and compatible with the Ruger wood stock. But those sources were sold out of the item.

https://www.kenarnoldcsa.com/tapcoru...forcement.aspx

UPDATE: I just got a call back from kenarnoldcsa.com. He said that part in the link is metal and is a factory Ruger part. So there it is. Search is over.
Old 04-20-2020, 17:06   #8

You are right, it does look like metal. I did not see anything in the description saying that it was not. I think that the place that I linked from may have said that it was plastic.
Old 04-20-2020, 18:58   #9
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
You are right, it does look like metal. I did not see anything in the description saying that it was not. I think that the place that I linked from may have said that it was plastic.
Yep, that is the one you want. In case you missed my update in bold text on my previous post... I talked to the owner at kenarnoldcsa.com. He said they are steel Ruger factory original for all Mini-30 wood stock models. He said he's open for business. Purchase them through the website as normal. He said he would ship them right out.

https://www.kenarnoldcsa.com/tapcoru...forcement.aspx

Best of luck with your project. When you come to Perfect Union, we won't steer you wrong.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:06   #10

Done. Got the stock and refinished it. Got extra mags. Ordered reinforcement piece. Have ammo. Now I just need the rifle.

Thanks to everyone for all of you help.

I am predominantly a pistol shooter, but everyone should have a rifle or two.
Beck likes this.
Old 04-27-2020, 15:35   #11
Glass Half-Full Member

An interesting aside to this story; after I found the link with the Stock Reinforcement Assembly for sale I also called Ruger to see if they had them in stock.

When I called, the gal at Ruger asked for the serial number for my Mini-30, so she could be sure they had the right one. I gave it to her (they already have it because I have an account there).

So she looks it up and next thing she said was, "We'll send it right out to you as a courtesy at no charge."

I had called just to inquire about parts availability and cost. She assumed I needed it for my original wood stock mini-30.

It arrived today in the mail... brand new Stock Reinforcement Assembly, two screws and two new washers at no cost to me. If I'm not careful my spare parts box is going to contain another Mini-30 in bits and pieces.

This is one of many reasons I'll be a Ruger fan for life. Last time I called a few years ago it was because one of my Factory 20-rounders had developed some surface rust spots and I wanted to exchange it for a new one. They sent me a new one for free without requiring that I send them the old one.

I LOVE RUGER!
jumpluff, 40nascar and sandog like this.