Magazines Reliable mags. - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 09:43   #1

Reliable mags.

I have a couple pro mags for my mini that are total ****.Besides factory mags are there any other brands that feed reliably?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marlin 45 carbine and Sparkie like this.
Jesse1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:55   #2
RJF

Jesse, on rare occasion, CDNN carries "OE" mags (mostly 20-rounders) for the Mini-14 that are very good, although many of us who get them replace the follower with a genuine Ruger follower. Even adding the cost of the follower, they're about half the price of a genuine Ruger 20-rounder and, IMHO, better quality.

There are mixed reports about the TAPCO GEN-II ones being okay...No personal experience, though.
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:19   #3

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Jesse, on rare occasion, CDNN carries "OE" mags (mostly 20-rounders) for the Mini-14 that are very good, although many of us who get them replace the follower with a genuine Ruger follower. Even adding the cost of the follower, they're about half the price of a genuine Ruger 20-rounder and, IMHO, better quality.

There are mixed reports about the TAPCO GEN-II ones being okay...No personal experience, though.
You nailed it. There are some older mags, but they are virtually impossible to find now. Federal Ordnance, American, PMI ( Precision Magazine Industries), but these manufacturers have been out of business about 20 yrs. or so. I mention these only because of the slim possibility you may come across some of these at an estate sale, gun show or a dust covered box at an old school gun store.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2020, 14:37   #4

CDNN has factory ruger 20 rounders on sale for $19 and tapco gen 2 30 rounders for $18 at the moment.
PFerris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 15:57   #5

Originally Posted by PFerris View Post
CDNN has factory ruger 20 rounders on sale for $19 and tapco gen 2 30 rounders for $18 at the moment.
Best deal going right now. Buy cheap stack deep!

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-mi...rked-blem.html
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 14:12   #6

Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Best deal going right now. Buy cheap stack deep!

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-mi...rked-blem.html
Is that a BLEMISH sticker or engraved/stamped?
mini14collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 14:16   #7

After Factory mags my favorite are Thermolds from the 80s and 90s.

New production are likely the same, I do not know.
Old 04-09-2020, 14:21   #8

Factory 30s sealed in package were about $20 2 months ago.

Yes $20 and some cents.

Sales happen and you must be quick.
Old 04-09-2020, 16:27   #9

Originally Posted by mini14collector View Post
https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...ml#post1519984

It is laser etched, but it's not too deep.....just in a funky spot.

I bought 5 a while back and they had some rust spots, possibly from poor processing after the bluing process.

I cleaned them really well with brake cleaner and took some sandpaper to the BLEMISH etching and smoothed it out pretty well. I used Brownell's Oxpho Blue to cold blue it back to a uniform shade. I did disassemble the magazine and applied a bit of heat to help the chemical process. Be sure to clean well afterwards and oil it well. Unless ya know where to look ya can't tell them from the others.

Almost ordered 5 more this morning.....74 in stock @ 8am.
Out of stock @ 6:30 pm.
jumpluff likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bubbaearle

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

-Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Last edited by bubbaearle; 04-09-2020 at 16:34. Reason: Added link for pics
bubbaearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 17:34   #10

I got some metal Pro Mags for Christmas that work fine so far.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 18:27   #11

Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
I got some metal Pro Mags for Christmas that work fine so far.
I have 2 Promags that are 100%. I picked up another one too see if they were still good to go and it was a stinker. I replaced the follower with a Ruger follower and it got better but not anything like the first 2 I bought.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 19:52   #12

I've never had any trouble with Promags. I have a 10 round that I use in my Mini-30's that I use more often than the factory mags.
kwg020 and Marlin 45 carbine like this.
grayfox2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:02   #13

I have used the Tapco mag for a couple of years without any problems. They look pretty cool also.
Attached Thumbnails
Reliable mags.-img_20200410_125343320.jpg  

Last edited by bill1725; 04-10-2020 at 10:32.
bill1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:22   #14

Of those using the Pro Mags .Are you using steel or polymer? Mine with the crappy reliability are steel circa 90s.

Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Jesse1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:38   #15

I am very new to this forum and it surprises the heck out of me that ANYONE would discuss, think of or refer to ProMags.
They are the poster child of junk and have been dismissed as such by any serious shooter regardless of what weapon they are designed for.
Pure reputation should have put the company out of business but novice shooters keep them alive to make junk another day.
40nascar likes this.

Last edited by mini14collector; 04-10-2020 at 13:56.
Old 04-10-2020, 15:28   #16

Originally Posted by mini14collector View Post
Who gives a crap. If you aren't quick enough to score some OE mags once a year from CDNN then Ruger blems are the way to go.
RJF likes this.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 16:20   #17

Originally Posted by grayfox2013 View Post
I've never had any trouble with Promags. I have a 10 round that I use in my Mini-30's that I use more often than the factory mags.
I have several ProMags and they run fine. I bought 2 @ Academy in Tulsa back in 2009 that had ProMag laser etched on the floor plate, almost identical to factory mags, never had an issue with them. I've never found any more like them, but all I've bought since have been good to go in my 580 & 583.
grumpy_old_man likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bubbaearle

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

-Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Last edited by bubbaearle; 04-11-2020 at 14:26. Reason: common core grammar....
bubbaearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 13:07   #18

Promags

Originally Posted by Jesse1973 View Post
Of those using the Pro Mags .Are you using steel or polymer? Mine with the crappy reliability are steel circa 90s.

Steel
Beck likes this.
grayfox2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 19:28   #19

My M30 runs pro mag 10 round fine after a check over feed lip smoothing and spacing check. I always replace followers wit factory Ruger.
Myself I'm wanting to stay far clear of any intense fire fight. Ten round mags seem to enhance balance IMO. I've got a couple 20 and 30 I've worked over function firing , good results. Since tuning my 30 with surprised good results I've bought an SKS also I tuned which got several 20 & 30 round mags. Shoots good with Mil Classic and Silver Bear fmj.
My 30 is for hunting and range time with good ole boys.
Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 04-11-2020, 21:17   #20

Prefer Factory mags.
Nothing else works as well.
40nascar, Beck and firescout like this.
Old 04-12-2020, 14:27   #21

Your magazines are to your gun, what tires are to your car, it's where the rubber meets the road Bud, don't chintz on them! I've seen the worst mags turn the best guns into JUNK!
45acpskng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 19:29   #22

Originally Posted by 45acpskng View Post
Your magazines are to your gun, what tires are to your car, it's where the rubber meets the road Bud, don't chintz on them! I've seen the worst mags turn the best guns into JUNK!
I believe the Ruger Mini got some of it's bad rap due to owners buying/using the cheaper mags and not paying the higher price for good, reliable Ruger brand mags. This was a screw-up on Ruger's part as the price they were asking was way more than most decent mags for other autoloaders.
SAN14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 22:46   #23
Glass Half-Full Member

When talking about mags the Mini-14 and Mini-30 are so different, one aftermarket brand might work fine in one and not in the other. Then there are time periods when certain manufacturers were putting out good mags and times when their quality control went to the dogs.

My first aftermarket mags for my Mini-30 were two 30-rnd USA brand. They worked perfectly and still do. I bought them about 1990. Then I bought some 20-rnd USA and they work just as well.

One of the first questions I asked when I joined this forum is if anyone knew where I could find some USA mags. The response was unexpected. "Beck, why would you want those. They suck." I had just lucked out and bought them when they were well made and Ruger did not sell Their 20-rnd to the general public yet. USA were once the best choice we had.

I didn't have any Ruger factory 20s when I joined this forum. Now I have 12. In addition to that I have 30-rnd steel KCIs and 10-rnd ProMag steel mags. The ProMags are recent and are as reliable as the Ruger 10-rnd, which I also have. Of all the 10-rnd types, I like the look of the USA brand the best. I have 5 of those. But all of the above work without issue in my M30.

The only kind of mags I won't even try again are anything polymer or plastic. I always had jams and double or triple feeding with anything but steel. One live round would go into the chamber and 2 or three live rounds would spit out of the top and onto the ground.

On a side note, I load all my Mini-30 mags with the Cogburn Arsenal Mini-30 Stripper Clip Mag Loader, Gen II. It works with all my various brands of mags. IMO every Mini-30 owner should have at least one. It's one of those things I don't know how I did without before I had it. Good company. Good products.

https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/m...loader-gen-ii/
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:57   #24

Mags have never been an issue.

The issue has always been ignorant people. I still see signs of that here.

IGNORANT is not a insult. It means you do not know any better.

"lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated."

Quality mags have always been available.

Ruger factory.
Thermold (OUTSTANDING).
Tapco Gen 2.
PMI (30 or less).
OE brand.

CRAP mags ignorant people buy.

ProMag.
USA.
KCI.
Ramline.
National.
John Masen.
TripleK.
Eagle.

Last edited by mini14collector; 04-13-2020 at 11:48.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:30   #25
RJF

mini14collector, out of idle curiosity rather than rational though, I got a pair of Masen 10-rounders for my Mini-14. Haven't fired them yet, but may once I figure out the feed-lip challenge. One holds ten rounds (barely), one will only hold nine (the 10th doesn't stay). Have plenty of more reliable mags (Ruger and OE), so getting these Masen mags fixed is a rather low priority. I would personally not recommend them.
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote