Magazines Reliable mags. - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2020, 02:28   #51
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by blacktalonalan View Post
KCI do not have a good rep with AK mags! I bought their steel 10 round for the bench. It fell apart after about six trips.
Consider KCI as excellent for Mini-30. It's pretty much like most after market brands. They can't be recommended for all types of firearms, but really shine with one or two models.
Bepe likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:31   #52

Having a renewed interest in Mini's just acquiring a 580 pencil barrel that is shooting accurately. Had a bunch of misc magazines laying around from my 180 days so read a bunch on the net about them. I have mostly used the 5 round mag for accuracy testing and do not recall doing a mag dump ever. Found one 40 round USA, one 30 round PMI, (2) 30 round Masen's and (2) of the old style Ruger 20 round that have the four pins in the bottom. Wondering if the right thing to do would be to sell all of this misc stuff and just go with the OE or Ruger 20 rounders? The USA and PMI mags seem to be held in high regard as aftermarket mags go but who can argue with the Ruger 20 rounders.
Jazzsax8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:25   #53
RJF

Originally Posted by Jazzsax8 View Post
Having a renewed interest in Mini's just acquiring a 580 pencil barrel that is shooting accurately. Had a bunch of misc magazines laying around from my 180 days so read a bunch on the net about them. I have mostly used the 5 round mag for accuracy testing and do not recall doing a mag dump ever. Found one 40 round USA, one 30 round PMI, (2) 30 round Masen's and (2) of the old style Ruger 20 round that have the four pins in the bottom. Wondering if the right thing to do would be to sell all of this misc stuff and just go with the OE or Ruger 20 rounders? The USA and PMI mags seem to be held in high regard as aftermarket mags go but who can argue with the Ruger 20 rounders.
Those came with my (used) 181 in 1980. 100% reliable! Use them or lock them up in a safety-deposit box! They are somewhat rare, as I understand things to be: chopped from factory 30-rounders to 20-rounders by Ruger for the 181s.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2020, 09:21   #54

yes

RJF

Yes after reading about the Ruger 20 round pinned magazines they originally came with the AC556/GB models. I have some regular Ruger 20 round mags and so if I could get big money out of both would just add a few of the cheaper ones to meet my need. There is one on Gunbroker where he wants $90 (and its not selling) for just one. If I could get $70 for two it would be a do the sale deal for me.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:03   #55

Now you do know that Pro Mag has been making lots of them for Ruger now right?

If you look at the Promag base plate it is black plastic with a blank circle in the center. The 5 and 10 round Ruger mags have the Ruger emblem in the circle.

Check before you buy.

Randy
Old 04-27-2020, 12:05   #56

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Now you do know that Pro Mag has been making lots of them for Ruger now right
If you look at the Promag base plate it is black plastic with a blank circle in the center. The 5 and 10 round Ruger mags have the Ruger emblem in the circle.
Check before you buy.
Randy
Mine have different followers in the Mini-14, also the Mini-30 10 round is completely different.
Old 04-27-2020, 14:29   #57
RJF

RJF

Yes after reading about the Ruger 20 round pinned magazines they originally came with the AC556/GB models. I have some regular Ruger 20 round mags and so if I could get big money out of both would just add a few of the cheaper ones to meet my need. There is one on Gunbroker where he wants $90 (and its not selling) for just one. If I could get $70 for two it would be a do the sale deal for me.
Jazz. I'm not much for one supporting things like that. I'll cherish the ones I have as a part of our Minis' heritage, but they're into the same bag, and not, forever, for sale. But then again, my Minis and their mags are in a black-hole, never to leave my gravity.
jumpluff, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 04-27-2020, 15:24   #58

yes

RJF

I get that but how many mags are enough? Current stock is 12 all Ruger 20 rounders plus the mutt pup stuff in 30-40. My quick pick-up case might hold 10 total.
RJF likes this.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:14   #59
RJF

RJF

I get that but how many mags are enough? Current stock is 12 all Ruger 20 rounders plus the mutt pup stuff in 30-40. My quick pick-up case might hold 10 total.
Jazz, got it. There is never quite enough, but working/reliable Mini-14 20-rounder mags (most but not all Rugers), is three times that amount. Then again, I have three Mini-14s and park the loaded mags with each of them, in separate locations...
Old 04-29-2020, 07:27   #60
Banned

Well, after playing with Ruger OEM mags for my new Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39, I've concluded the 10 and five round mags work the best with the ETS Loader I picked up. The 20-rounders are nearly impossible to load properly because, I suppose, of their longer "curved" geometry and possibly stronger springs. Live and learn. I actually prefer the smaller mags anyway, but I was curious about the 20-rounder.
LousyShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:28   #61
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by LousyShot View Post
Well, after playing with Ruger OEM mags for my new Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39, I've concluded the 10 and five round mags work the best with the ETS Loader I picked up. The 20-rounders are nearly impossible to load properly because, I suppose, of their longer "curved" geometry and possibly stronger springs. Live and learn. I actually prefer the smaller mags anyway, but I was curious about the 20-rounder.
Do yourself a favor and buy a Cogburn Arsenal Mini-30 Stripper Clip Mag Loader. I can't say enough good about the product and the company. It's been a game changer for me when loading mags. It takes SKS stripper clips and with the Gen II version even cheap clips work.

I now keep quite a bit of 7.62x39 on SKS type stripper clips in ammo cans. It takes seconds to load a Ruger Factory 20-rounder and about a split second to load a 10-rounder. It's about as close to effortless as loading a mag can get. Great design, very well made at a reasonable price. I plan to pick up a couple more myself. In fact, if you don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread I'll buy it from you.

https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/m...loader-gen-ii/
Attached Thumbnails
Reliable mags.-gen-ii-loader-blue.jpg  
tcsafety likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote