• 5 Post By firescout
  • 3 Post By Marlin 45 carbine
  • 2 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By 40nascar
  • 1 Post By MOTOROLANUT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 10:08   #1

Mini 30 Trigger

whats the best way to do a trigger job on a mini 30. Any tips or best kept secrets? Thanks
Sparkie likes this.
Richard Coss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:07   #2
Temp Banned!

My gunsmith can get the trigger pul down to about 4.5 lbs. Without changing parts ( springs ). To get lower than that requires replacing springs, and smoothing out the trigger and hammer. The mini has a 2 stage trigger and there's nothing you can relly do to change that. If all else fails, you can send it off to Brimstone. Others here can share their experiences with them.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:18   #3

Do it yourself..... Watch the GunDoc video (several times)
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1370578993035967
Have someone else do it.... Send your trigger group to Brimstone
Mini Trigger Work - Brimstone Gunsmithing
It appears Brimstone has upped their prices from $55 to $82.50

To reduce your trigger pull (doesn't help roughness if you have any), You can put in a McCarbo secondary sear spring for $13:
https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-mini-14...pring-kit.aspx
Or just buy a spare stock Ruger secondary sear spring for $3.89 and clip a coil off of it:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100507626?pid=410248
More than a coil off of a factory spring though, and it will be getting too short in length.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2020, 09:24   #4

I went the McCarbo secondary sear spring route. Before reassembly, I polished all contact surfaces on a buffer wheel. Didn't try removing any metal. Made for a better trigger.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:01   #5

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
My gunsmith can get the trigger pul down to about 4.5 lbs. Without changing parts ( springs ). To get lower than that requires replacing springs, and smoothing out the trigger and hammer. The mini has a 2 stage trigger and there's nothing you can relly do to change that. If all else fails, you can send it off to Brimstone. Others here can share their experiences with them.
Can't speak for the Mini-30 but I did send my Mini-14 trigger assembly off to Brimstone and it came back in a couple of days along with a hand written note (more of a scribble ) that they got it down to a 3.0# pull.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini 30 Trigger-img20200406_09571769.jpg   Mini 30 Trigger-img20200406_09544790.jpg  
Sparkie and Beck like this.
nickelplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 18:02   #6

Stoning and buffing (compounded felt wheel on rotary tool) the sear surfaces of my Mini 14 made the trigger pull just under 4 lbs, and much smoother. I wouldn't go below 3.5 lbs on this style rifle.
firescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 21:08   #7

Should the owner have hunting in mind for this fine Bush gun think twice before going too ight pull. A stiff jar against obstruction or a fall impact could ruin a hunt.
Sparkie, 40nascar and Beck like this.
Old 04-06-2020, 23:52   #8
Glass Half-Full Member

Also you can save $7.00 and get the light secondary sear spring form ASI. Same effect. Either The ASI or McCarbo will work to take about a pound off trigger pull.

https://store9481181.ecwid.com/Light...-6-8-p78474249

There are ways to shorten the distance the trigger travels before break, and after break, but doing it yourself is not for the faint of heart. Shortening trigger creep and over-travel is as important as pull weight.

Also check out Nutnfancy's video featuring Terry Gardner. The so-called, "Yoda G Mod" on youtube. Watch it on a big screen and pay close attention to detail. There's some good info there.

https://youtu.be/cuSRX92q-sI

I had a trigger job done on a Mini-30 over 25 years ago. Since then I've buffed the surfaces with a Dremel tool using buffing compound on a felt wheel. It removes no metal. It just gets the surfaces back to a mirror finish. Over years of use the metal will get a little rough again.

For me 3.5 pounds is as low as I'd go for a field rifle. 3.75 lbs is about ideal for me. I used to think I should get the pull as light as possible, and that's good for a bench gun. But for practical... hunting, self defense, law enforcement, etc I wouldn't go too light.
Sparkie and Danmanrn like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:42   #9
Temp Banned!

I agree with all your comments here. I am satisfied with the 4.5 lb pull that my gunsmith achieved. That is about right for a 2 stage trigger, without reducing reliability, or causing accidental firings or multibursts.
Sparkie likes this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 15:59   #10

Brimstone did two trigger groups for me (14 and 30) no complaints here.
Sparkie likes this.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 21:19   #11

I ordered the spring as well as gas bushings a week ago from ASI.
Still have not shipped.
Hoping to get my new M30 trigger down to #3
It is at #6.5
Old 04-11-2020, 22:29   #12

I would go with McCarbo spring and a trigger shoe you make one out of a PVC fitting. That should get your mini shooting a lot better. Clean your trigger engagement points with brake clean and leave them dry. The metal on metal contact will smooth out the contact points this will take some time. When everything mated together there will be a sharp edge on the contact points lightly run a ceramic knife sharping rod on those edges. You just want to remove a small amount.