Question Mini 14 Optics Mounting? - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 11:55   #1

Mini 14 Optics Mounting?

I just put the Factory Rail on my new Mini 14, and want to mount a Bushnell TRS Red Dot on it. Do you guys with red dots mount to the front, or rear on the rail? Trying to avoid the optic takinga beating from empty cases. Thanks.
45acpskng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 13:54   #2

I mounted my Primary Arms Microdot to the rear. I haven't had any problems with the cases hitting it with the stock rail. I couldn't get it sighted in towards the front. I think it was crooked as I didn't have enough windage adjustment and there wasn't much meat underneath it at the front. Towards the rear was easy and sturdier. Don't know about the TRS though.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 14:15   #3

Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
I mounted my Primary Arms Microdot to the rear. I haven't had any problems with the cases hitting it with the stock rail. I couldn't get it sighted in towards the front. I think it was crooked as I didn't have enough windage adjustment and there wasn't much meat underneath it at the front. Towards the rear was easy and sturdier. Don't know about the TRS though.
Thanks Dog, I'll give it a try at the rear first.

Old 04-04-2020, 16:27   #4

I'd try it forward too.
One of the nice things about most red dots is that there is no set eye relief.
Mounting it forward with give you much better peripheral vision. And use a dot with both eyes open, they aren't close eye relief scopes.

The only thing worse as far as limiting your peripheral vision and situational awareness by mounting a dot right up against your head, is mounting one up against your head and then closing one eye.

I would have my FastFires right out at the end of the Ultimak rail if I could reach that far to get to the brightness/on-off button. I have shorter arms, so I mount them closer in.
But note from the pics, where the RDS is mounted it isn't going to get hit by brass, or get in the way of the bolt or rear sight.

sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 18:16   #5

I guess I should've emphasized I'm using the Factory Receiver(short) Rail, forward being front of receiver, rearward being rear of receiver, appx 6" in length.
Old 04-04-2020, 18:29   #6

Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post

Center your sight and then put your sight at the front of your rail. Then use the rail to adjust for the center. You do this by adjusting the screws that hold the rail to the scallops. If you have a bore sighter you can do this at home before going to the range.

I did this with my 2-7 Nikon scope. I used the screws that go into the scallops to move the front of the scope left or right. I centered my scope at home and used my bore sighter to get it close. I finished doing this at the range.

I decided that I didn't like how high my scope was so I took it off the rail and mounted it on my Mini with Ruger factory rings. I couldn't hit squat. I figured out my factory rings were not centered. I had to put a shim between the rings and the scallops. I should of left the rail on. I had it all dialed in. I did have to take off the rear sight as the power adjustment ring was locked against the rear sight.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:14   #7

I never had a problem with my scope mounting with the Ruger rings. I like shooting the red dot though. Takes some adjustment shooting with both eyes open. The micro dot leaves you plenty of peripheral vision also. It zeroed real easy. I like where it's mounted. Took the scope off and put the dot on to make my mini more of a close to mid range defensive weapon for the upcoming zombie apocalypse.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:14   #8

I see everyone's point about using a red dot. I'm just too cheap to make the jump. There are going to be some real bargains in the stock market some day and I want to be on that band wagon. You just watch, when the stimulus checks come out the market is going to jump up. I would buy now but the wife wants to keep some ready money in the savings account.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:42   #9
RJF

45, note my post over on the Ruger sight: front end of the Ruger rail works well with the TRS-25.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote