Best Ammo Mini-30? - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 20:44   #1

Best Ammo Mini-30?

So on the fence edge of buying a Mini-30, But want to be able to get decent ammo, by decent I mean fairly accurate and reliable.
They all seem about $260 per 1,000 for the Hollow Points.
These are the only ones I found.

1: Red Army, seems to be a few different types, red box, white box, which type?.
2: Tula
3: Wolf
4: Golden Tiger
40nascar and imarangemaster like this.
Old 04-02-2020, 22:51   #2
Glass Half-Full Member

One type of Red Army Standard and Golden Tiger are the same, and you can't go wrong with either. Actually two types. One in Full Metal Jacket Boat-Tail and the other is Hollow Point Boat-Tail. They're both 124 grain bullet weight.

Golden Tiger was the first brand from Vympel (Amursk Cartridge Plant, Russia) that most people are familiar with. A couple or so years ago, Century International contracted with Vympel to market the same round branded as Red Army. Before that Red Army had several offerings made elsewhere and they're not the same as the Vympel stuff. The red box Red Army model AM2423 and AM2458 are from Vympel and are the same as the Golden Tiger FMJBT and HPBT respectively.

^^^^^ My Mini-30 likes either of those equally because they are basically the same. I get better groups with ammo from the Vympel factory than I do with Lapua.

I would avoid Wolf and Tula unless that's all you can find at the moment. It's better to have something than a gun with no ammo.

Silver Bear also shoots really well out of my Mini-30. Yours might be different and do better with another brand, but Golden Tiger/Red Army will get you there in self defense situations even though you may find something that is more long-range accurate for your particular Mini-30 down the line.

It's a sellers market right now, but when things get back to normal Golden Tiger and Red Army equivalent are 22 to 23 cents a round shipped in bulk.

For now you may have to bite the bullet (So to speak) and get 1000 rounds of Red Army From SG for $259.50 plus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Ammo Mini-30?-golden-tiger.jpg   Best Ammo Mini-30?-redarmy1.jpg  
John 15:13

Last edited by Beck; 04-02-2020 at 23:10.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:00   #3

I thought we had warned you about Tula/Wolf. If you like groups nearly double, a dirtier than normal gun, having 15% of your ammo not got off when you pull the trigger, and lower velocity, by all means buy some Tula or Wolf. But they shouldn't even be considered when there is much better ammo out there.
Currently SG Ammo has Red Army, both regular HP and fragmenting HP, Golden Tiger fragmenting HP, and for $30 more per 1000, S&B brass case FMJ.
For something that might be used for anti personnel, the fragmenting HP would be the better choice.

You won't know which ammo will be the most accurate in YOUR particular Mini-30 until you get the rifle in your hands and try a few boxes of each brand in it.
So I wouldn't buy a truckload of ammo before you get to try any in your new Mini.

Just because Red Army/Golden Tiger shoots well in Beck's Mini doesn't mean it will be the best for the Mini you get.
Just because Silver Bear shoots the best in my Mini doesn't mean it will be the best in the Mini you get.

Go to Ammoseek.com, and there are some 20 round box quantities for sale.
Buy 2-3 twenty round boxes each of PPU, Geco, S&B, PMC, Remington, etc.
Prices of everything are higher now, the brass case stuff is $10 to $23 a box.
Heck, go ahead and buy a few boxes of Tula and Wolf to try, yours might be the rare Mini that does O.K. with it.

I've chronographed almost all of them though, and ones like Fiocchi were accurate but only got 2000 fps., a full 400-500 fps, less than most others.
Red Army got 2550 average in all 3 different barrel lengths, and Tula is more like 2350.

Of the 2 Mini's I still currently have, one shoots great with Silver Bear, the other not so good. But that Mini loves PPU, the other one not so much.
I have a good stock of each, so I try to feed them what they like best.
My daughter's Mini shoots Red Army better than anything else, even better than my SST handloads, even better than Lapua.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2020, 08:07   #4

As far as Defensive/hunting ammo, Ulyanovsk 8M3 124 HP (with pre-fail cuts in the hollow point) is devastating. SG Ammo is now importing it under "Tulammo 124 HP 8M3". I still have 200 rounds of the original 1990s white box with blue writing, Mine is lacquered cases with primer and neck sealant,

imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:20   #5

Thanks,
SG ammo will not ship to CA., web site says no Exceptions.
However I just sent an email stating it is legal to ship to my FFL.
Waiting for reply.
imarangemaster likes this.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:32   #6

Originally Posted by hylander View Post
Thanks,
SG ammo will not ship to CA., web site says no Exceptions.
However I just sent an email stating it is legal to ship to my FFL.
Waiting for reply.
I hope you get a response from them. I am in Calif. too and sent SGA two e-mails requesting their procedure for having ammo shipped to a FFL here. They NEVER responded which is frustrating. I made several big purchases from them back when we could get ammo delivered at home.
SAN14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 15:46   #7
Glass Half-Full Member

I doubt SG will ship to even an FFL in Cali at the moment. Some vendors have decided it's too much hassle. As I said in the other thread, many other vendors will, including Midsouth Shooters Supply and Vizards. Several vendors even have a list of California FFL dealers you can search.

But after sleeping on it, the bottom line is that there are more brands and types of 7.62x39 than I can name off the top of my head. You'll find many that your Mini-30 likes and some that it doesn't, just like any other firearm/ammo match. regardless of caliber.

So the answer to the broader question is... yes the world is full of 7.62x39 of all kinds. And it's full of .223/5.56 NATO of all kinds. Ammo compatibility and availability are non-issues for the long term when deciding between a Mini-14 and Mini-30

For people who have no firearms at all right now during these troubling COVID-19 times, then about any firearm will do.

Living in California does complicate things. I feel for you that you live outside of the United Sates in the illegally occupied territory of California, which was once a US state.
Old 04-03-2020, 17:16   #8
Temp Banned!

With the panic buying now, I would get whatever you can get at less than 30c per round. Wolf and Tula would be at the bottom of the list, but even that is better than nothing. I was able to get 200 rnds of Red Army today at a lgs for 25c per round in California, 122 gr. In a white box. Might not be vympel, but for that price, and the fact this dealer didn't have any x39 last week, I bought it. Good luck. And yes get a mini 30 and join the club!
imarangemaster and Beck like this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 18:37   #9

this is the best, but it's h ard to get. If I bothered to own an AK, I'd reload softpoints for it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001629020 here's the second best
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produ...low-point-ammo
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 18:54   #10
Glass Half-Full Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 40nascar View Post
With the panic buying now, I would get whatever you can get at less than 30c per round. Wolf and Tula would be at the bottom of the list, but even that is better than nothing. I was able to get 200 rnds of Red Army today at a lgs for 25c per round in California, 122 gr. In a white box. Might not be vympel, but for that price, and the fact this dealer didn't have any x39 last week, I bought it. Good luck. And yes get a mini 30 and join the club!
Nice score! Especially considering the times. The 122 gr Red Army is the older pre-Vympel stuff, but there's nothing at all wrong with it. Good stuff.

PS: If the white box Red Army is the same as the old Red Box 122 gr then it's likely made in Lugansk, Ukraine, and the headstamp is LU.
40nascar and Bepe like this.

Last edited by Beck; 04-03-2020 at 19:24.
Old 04-03-2020, 19:09   #11

wth are any gunmen staying in CA, paying taxes to our enemies?
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 19:33   #12
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by toyhw View Post
Born and raised here before the La Raza communist takeover. I'll be leaving in less than 5 yrs. When I retire. In the meantime socking away lots of $, so when I make it over enemy lines into free America, I will be well positioned, and getting pers pension money tax free. Yea, I don't care if the place burns down after I leave. In the part where I live conservative people are the majority and our Sheriff is a big supporter of the Second Ammendment, and the rest of the Constitution. Dont knock the whole state just because the coastal metropolitan libtard population centers are running roughshod over the eastern rural 2/3rds of the state.
Old 04-03-2020, 21:34   #13

Originally Posted by SAN14 View Post
I hope you get a response from them. I am in Calif. too and sent SGA two e-mails requesting their procedure for having ammo shipped to a FFL here. They NEVER responded which is frustrating. I made several big purchases from them back when we could get ammo delivered at home.
I got a reply Sam.
Said it was to hard to do business with California.
Not so hard, all it takes to ship ammo to a California dealer is have the receiving dealer send a copy of his FFL to the shipper.
Yet apparently that is to hard
Old 04-03-2020, 21:38   #14

Originally Posted by toyhw View Post
Not so easy to just pack up and leave, if it were I would have already done it.
It takes money and it is not like a good job will just be waiting for me when I get wherever it is I decide to move to, especially at my age.
I wish it were.
Old 04-03-2020, 22:00   #15

This is frustrating,
LAX in California will not ship to California FFL's
Looks like even our own are turning on us

So as of now I have found no one who has 7.62X39 that will ship to CA.
Except Wolf and Tula and the shipping cost kills the deal.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:51   #16
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
As far as Defensive/hunting ammo, Ulyanovsk 8M3 124 HP (with pre-fail cuts in the hollow point) is devastating. SG Ammo is now importing it under "Tulammo 124 HP 8M3". I still have 200 rounds of the original 1990s white box with blue writing, Mine is lacquered cases with primer and neck sealant,

Oh deer! Good to see you here again rangemaster!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:17   #17
Glass Half-Full Member

This is frustrating,
LAX in California will not ship to California FFL's
Looks like even our own are turning on us

So as of now I have found no one who has 7.62X39 that will ship to CA.
Except Wolf and Tula and the shipping cost kills the deal.
Now is not a good time to look for ammo. Everyone is out of the most popular stuff, and the prices are inflated beyond reason on what they do have. Just 3 weeks ago things were basically normal. We're in the midst of a pandemic. It doesn't represent how things normally are. There are many vendors that ship to California FFLs, but now is a really bad time. "Out of Stock" is currently the most popular brand.

If you're talking about the present, then yes it's difficult to find what you need. If you're talking about the future when things are back to normal then 7.62x39 is easy to get, even in California.
Danmanrn, imarangemaster and Bepe like this.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:05   #18

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Now is not a good time to look for ammo. Everyone is out of the most popular stuff, and the prices are inflated beyond reason on what they do have. Just 3 weeks ago things were basically normal. We're in the midst of a pandemic. It doesn't represent how things normally are. There are many vendors that ship to California FFLs, but now is a really bad time. "Out of Stock" is currently the most popular brand.

If you're talking about the present, then yes it's difficult to find what you need. If you're talking about the future when things are back to normal then 7.62x39 is easy to get, even in California.
I hear you, I just don't to want spend a $1,000 on a rifle right now and not have plenty of ammo.
I'm still looking though.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:57   #19

When I finally got the MAADI out of lay a way, Just before the panic, I bought 840 rounds of Tulammo for $9.50/40 round box from the same dealer. (I still had my 8M3 from before). Just about 3 weeks ago, he told me he would buy it back, as well as any 9mm or .223/5.56 I had that I wanted to sell.
Marlin 45 carbine and Beck like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 19:01   #20

Well, spent most of the day looking for ammo.
Found some, but not one place will ship to California.
Old 04-04-2020, 20:32   #21

How about this?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/barn...w-point-500rd/
40nascar likes this.
Old 04-04-2020, 21:53   #22
Glass Half-Full Member

Snap it up! You could do a lot worse than Barnaul. That's a good price these days. Barnaul makes the Bears... Brown Bear, Silver Bear, and Golden Bear. It's a modern factory turning out good stuff.

Here's a list of California FFLs. Do a search. there are other sources on the web to find Cali FFLs who will work with you.

https://www.ffleasy.com/california

Don't tell the FFL exactly where and what it is. He/she might buy it up to resell at higher price. Be vague. Ask your FFL if he can receive some ammo for you from North Carolina and that's all.

Old 04-04-2020, 23:04   #23

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Snap it up! You could do a lot worse than Barnaul. That's a good price these days. Barnaul makes the Bears... Brown Bear, Silver Bear, and Golden Bear. It's a modern factory turning out good stuff.

Here's a list of California FFLs. Do a search. there are other sources on the web to find Cali FFLs who will work with you.

https://www.ffleasy.com/california

Don't tell the FFL exactly where and what it is. He/she might buy it up to resell at higher price. Be vague. Ask your FFL if he can receive some ammo for you from North Carolina and that's all.

Well,
I just tried to order, but they won't ship to California.
I do have an FFL to ship to here.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:03   #24
Glass Half-Full Member

Well,
I just tried to order, but they won't ship to California.
I do have an FFL to ship to here.
It appears you live in Placer County where I was born (McClellan Air Force Base near Sacramento)

It looks to me they have several FFLs they work with in that area...

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ffl-lookup/

Enter your zip code and several will come up

Use their interactive chat feature, or email them @ [email protected] and tell them you're trying to buy the item and have it sent to a local FFL.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:10   #25

I got a reply Sam.
Said it was to hard to do business with California.
Not so hard, all it takes to ship ammo to a California dealer is have the receiving dealer send a copy of his FFL to the shipper.
Yet apparently that is to hard
I think it's more about making a point. The point is if you are going to destroy a State like the democrats have done, don't ask us along. I get it. When the leadership of California changes, you will get your ammo just like the rest of America. I see it as them doing their part to force change.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote