Best Ammo Mini-30? - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2020, 22:23   #51
Been here forever.....

Heck, I purchased 10,000 rounds of wolf back when it was ~$80 for 1000. I have not ran out yet. That is what I shoot for fun.
For hunting, I load my own. Hodgedon has several good recipes. It is fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
An armed man is a free man.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
harles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 21:48   #52

Link to?
Old 04-21-2020, 22:11   #53

Just a quick update:
Took a lot of work and strong Google FU, but I have found a few sources for
ammo from places that ship to California.
In stock, but not a cheap as I was hoping.
Found Red Army, Barnaul and Brown Bear.
I ordered Brown Bear HP
sandog, Beck and Bepe like this.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:19   #54

Originally Posted by SPQR70AD View Post
try CFE Blk powder can get almost 2600 FPS with 125 gr bullet
I'm a newcomer to the cartridge, but I have a very old jug of SPP210 (4198 rough equivalent) that I've been using with good results. Get essentially 100% fill in the case with 24.5gr and the Nosler 123gr projectile. Just seems well balanced.

I am not, however, a newcomer to the .220 Russian and 6 PPC. Same parent case. Both top ranked midrange target cartridges. I once fantasized about a Mini 6PPC...I think it's already been done.
Marlin 45 carbine and Bepe like this.
RCE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 16:05   #55

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse today and saw that their main stash of x39 ammo is now Geco. Probably the best sub $10 a box brass cased ammo out there.
Slightly cheaper than PPU, and I believe slightly better quality than S&B or Fiocchi.
I shot some a few years ago, and it gave good accuracy and velocity.
I've shot several cases of Geco 9mm, and it was good-to-go.

Geco is a Swiss company, but I've heard that some of the calibers in their line up, including 7.62 x 39 are made for them in Hungary.
These boxes are just marked "Made in EU", so no telling if they are still made in Hungary or are being produced in Switzerland.
I noticed the same thing with PMC buckshot, it used to be marked made in ESP (Spain), now it's just marked "Made in EU". Must be keeping in line with the "New World Order".

I bought a few boxes of the Geco x39 to test, and will take them to the range tomorrow and give a report. I'll shoot them against PPU and Silver Bear.
Beautiful stuff, nicely annealed brass, reminds me of Lapua.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 18:16   #56

I saw that at the local SW the other day.
Tried to buy some along with a box of Tula, but waited 10-15 minutes and never
got any help.
Is it Boxer primed?
Old 04-22-2020, 18:34   #57

Yes, boxer primed and reloadable. After I empty some I'll check the case capacity and compare it to the PPU brass I use for reloading.
You have to wait in Cali to get help with ammo ?
All the ammo at the SW here is all out on the aisles, just grab it off of the end cap.
They have a 4 box limit of each kind, I've been buying 4 boxes each of 9mm and .45 ACP whenever I go there.
Marlin 45 carbine, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 04-22-2020, 18:48   #58
Glass Half-Full Member

Sandog, as I recall Geco was pretty impressive when you tested it a while back. something around 2440 FPS and better than average accuracy. I'm looking forward to see if they're maintaining the quality.

A few weeks back before the panic I bought a couple hundred new primed 7.62x39 Geco cases for reloading. Comparing the Geco cases with my Lapua and IMI, they look top quality. I went back to that vendor to look for more, but of course it was sold out, like everything else.

If the box has the C.I.P. info on it and the proof mark I can tell which proof house they were approved by... if you can post a pic. That could give us a clue of where these latest were made.
Marlin 45 carbine and sandog like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 19:46   #59

There is this on the bottom, rest of box is a ballistic chart and warnings in several languages.
The "HU" above the shield would indicate Hungary.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Ammo Mini-30?-20200422_193837.jpg  
Old 04-22-2020, 19:58   #60
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
There is this on the bottom, rest of box is a ballistic chart and warnings in several languages.
The "HU" above the shield would indicate Hungary.
Yeah, that's from the C.I.P. Proof House in Budapest Hungary. So hopefully it's the same good stuff you tested before.

Attached Thumbnails
Best Ammo Mini-30?-hu-bud.png  
Marlin 45 carbine, sandog and Bepe like this.
Old 04-22-2020, 20:49   #61

Yes, boxer primed and reloadable. After I empty some I'll check the case capacity and compare it to the PPU brass I use for reloading.
You have to wait in Cali to get help with ammo ?
All the ammo at the SW here is all out on the aisles, just grab it off of the end cap.
They have a 4 box limit of each kind, I've been buying 4 boxes each of 9mm and .45 ACP whenever I go there.
Thanks,
Yes, in California all ammo must be behind the counter or locked up and an employee with a COE must get it for you, no other employees can handle it.
Then you have to wait for them to do an instant back ground check before you can purchase it, then they enter what you buy and how much.
But before all this you must be in the CA DROS system to purchase ammo.
This was the short version, there is still more to it.
All of this has nothing to do with safety, it is a tool for the Gov. to track what you buy and how much
Old 04-23-2020, 04:53   #62

Sounds like you need to make a trip over to Arizona to stock up on ammo.
I don't think the Gov, should have to know how much stinkin' ammo, and what kind, you are buying.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:50   #63

Sounds like you need to make a trip over to Arizona to stock up on ammo.
I don't think the Gov, should have to know how much stinkin' ammo, and what kind, you are buying.
Borrowed from CalGuns. Just be careful out there...

"Beginning 1/1/18, it will be illegal to import ammo from outside the state into California. You cannot drive to dealers or gun shows in Arizona, Nevada, or Oregon (or any other state) to buy ammo and drive it back home. It is no secret that DOJ has agents at major gun shows and guns/ammo dealers in neighboring states, and they are looking for Californians who are trying to bring illegal merchandise (high capacity magazines) back across the border. Make no mistake: they have established procedures to communicate with agents or CHP officers to stop vehicles after they cross the state line. Expect that they will be doing the same for ammunition."
Old 04-23-2020, 16:17   #64

If CHP is going to stop vehicles coming into California to search for ammo or other contraband, then their next step will be making sure you never leave the state in the first place. Might as well extend the border fence around the Golden state and make it part of Mexico.
Old 04-23-2020, 18:43   #65

If CHP is going to stop vehicles coming into California to search for ammo or other contraband, then their next step will be making sure you never leave the state in the first place. Might as well extend the border fence around the Golden state and make it part of Mexico.
They can only stop you if they see you buy ammo.
However, California is already trying to pass a no exit tax.
Meaning if you sell your house and move out of state, they will will tax your total assets at 50%
Old 04-23-2020, 19:48   #66

How would they see you buy ammo when you are traveling out of state ?

Will they have a database of every shooter that leaves the state, then keep a man on him while he's shopping in Arizona or Nevada to make sure he doesn't try to buy any ammo ?

Stores here don't ask for I.D. (except for Walmart clerks who are told to make sure you are old enough to purchase). Just don't announce you are a Californian when you go to buy in stores other than Walmart.
Old 04-23-2020, 20:08   #67

Will they have a database of every shooter that leaves the state, then keep a man on him while he's shopping in Arizona or Nevada to make sure he doesn't try to buy any ammo ?

Stores here don't ask for I.D. (except for Walmart clerks who are told to make sure you are old enough to purchase). Just don't announce you are a Californian when you go to buy in stores other than Walmart.
Mostly CA DOJ watch's the gun shows for California plates.
Then they radio to the Ag check station. No one in Nevada or Arizona or Oregon checks ID, you can buy all you want, but California law says you can only bring back 50 rounds. CA DOJ tried to get the Feds to help but that was denied.
However, we just got a stay on the law today, so for a couple of days we can buy what we want
Old 04-23-2020, 21:07   #68

Thanks to RCE and hylander for the most recent updates and cautions.
Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:18   #69
Glass Half-Full Member

I doubt any state, including California, has the resources to follow every Californian who goes to an out of state gun show. Park you car downtown and take an uber or taxi to the gun show if you're really worried. If you have a friend in a neighboring state, all the better. He/she can drive.

Californians are in a position where they have to choose between California state law, which is blatantly unconstitutional, or being an American first and exercising liberties guaranteed by the US Constitution. I'm an American citizen first no matter in which state I reside. California can eat my socks!
sandog likes this.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:02   #70

Here is the kicker,
Under the ammo law a California resident can only bring 50 rounds of ammo across state lines, an out of state resident can bring in all they want.
The law only address's California residents.
Marlin 45 carbine, sandog and Bepe like this.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:37   #71

Originally Posted by Marlin 45 carbine View Post
Thanks to RCE and hylander for the most recent updates and cautions.
Actually, I just got a notification from GOA that California's ammo ban scheme was just thrown out by Judge Roberto Bonitez. Effective immediately.

No background checks, no ban on mail order. Get it while it's hot. Ammunition sales are allowed as of right now.
Old 04-24-2020, 14:24   #72
Glass Half-Full Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
Actually, I just got a notification from GOA that California's ammo ban scheme was just thrown out by Judge Roberto Bonitez. Effective immediately.

No background checks, no ban on mail order. Get it while it's hot. Ammunition sales are allowed as of right now.
I just heard the same thing so I got online to share the good news in this thread. I got the news via email from vizardsgunsandammo.com where I buy my Silver Bear ammo. They announced they will begin shipping ammo to your residence in Cali, effective immediately.

Here's the story from the LA Times

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...n-purchase-law
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 04-24-2020, 20:46   #73

Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post

Fellow Californians, BUY/BUY/BUY
Marlin 45 carbine, sandog and Beck like this.

Last edited by hylander; 04-24-2020 at 21:53.
hylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:11   #74

Sandog, I always like to read your posts, but on this one I don't think you're giving it enough thought. The CHP doesn't need an officer to trail everyone that leaves the state, as they have the "eye in the sky" (DRONES) to do the work for them. As an example of what drone technology has become let me state an example using the corona virus problem around the world, and especially in the USA. In the not to distant past the individual States were able to buy drones, from China, that have the capability of tracking heart rate, temperature etc. of individuals in a crowd at an altitude that makes the drone invisible. Many States bought these drones, but when the DHS discovered that China could download the info from the drone they made an edict that the drones had to be sent back. Now, how many do you think were actually sent back to China? Does "0" come to mind? I give the health technology example to bring to mind that GPS info can also be tracked, and almost everyone has a cell phone, or automobile, with GPS capability. So putting a drone in the sky to watch over a gun show in Arizona, Utah, Oregon, New Mexico and others can't be that hard. After all how many shows can there be on any given weekend? Does this sound paranoid and Orwellian ? Absolutely!!! but this is the world we now live in.

STAY SAFE TO ALL.

Last edited by Gary8907; 04-25-2020 at 04:48.
Gary8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:13   #75

I'm glad I don't live in California, but there are so many Californians that have moved here, I might as well be.
If and when Arizona gets that bad, I'll be moving to Wyoming, Alaska, wherever.
I don't have too many more years to enjoy the shooting sports, and I'll enjoy them unhindered and unfettered.