• 2 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 2 Post By firescout
  • 1 Post By imarangemaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 17:20   #1

Checking in with the hive...

Hello the camp! Hunkering down with the "stay at home" order (high-risk, 67 with leukemia and asthma), so I thought I would check in.

While my Minis have departed in the last year (along with almost all my firearms) due to my necessary liquidating assets, I still keep my eye on the local gun shop for a cheap 186 I can horse-trade for to get back into the Mini-world. Like McArthur said, I shall return.

I did manage to still hang on to the AR15 carbine my son gave me two years ago, but it isn't a Mini-14! Also, while I don't have a Mini-30 either, I tripped across a deal on a 1990s MAADI AKM at my buddy's gun shop. It came in from a collector's estate. It was completely broken down into the smallest parts, and along with the barreled receiver was filthy and greasy in a box. I was pretty sure it was all there, so I gave $400 as is to my buddy.

I took a chance, as I still had 1200 rounds of 7.62x39 from my mini-30, as well as an assortment of 7.62x39 pouches from the Mini-30. I also still had 7 or 8 pre-ban owned high caps from my last AK a few years back(which I sold to get a Mini-30.

I cleaned it up and got lucky. The Maadi AKs were made in Egypt on Russian machinery with Russian Technicians. It is not a Mini-30, but it will certainly hold a place in my diminished armory until I can get another one. Problem is that the stupid prices on Minis are through the roof!

imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 17:46   #2

Good to hear you are still kicking and have some protection. Be safe so we can read your posts when you get a chance to write here.
SAN14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 20:23   #3
Glass Half-Full Member

Nice to see you're still around, Ima
2rangers and RJF like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2020, 04:23   #4

Great to see ya about....
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:01   #5
Temp Banned!

I had wondered what happened to you
Glad to see you are back!
2rangers likes this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 18:16   #6

Argh... Minis are addictive. Shot my AK the other day and wished it was a Mini-30. I have a great little AR, so I don;'t really need another 5.56... but a Mini-30 now, that's the ticket. Maybe I will sell this Ak like I did my last one a couple years ago to fund a Mini-30 of find a trade for a 584ish one.
jumpluff and SMOGGUY like this.
Old 04-18-2020, 18:33   #7
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Argh... Minis are addictive. Shot my AK the other day and wished it was a Mini-30. I have a great little AR, so I don;'t really need another 5.56... but a Mini-30 now, that's the ticket. Maybe I will sell this Ak like I did my last one a couple years ago to fund a Mini-30 of find a trade for a 584ish one.
Now you're talking sense! There's just nothing quite like a Mini-30 on the planet! May the gods be with you in your search...
40nascar likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:25   #8
RJF

ima, I'm glad you're back. I have some trouble in that I'm the "black hole of firearms"...Only one has ever left my possession (a Win 30-06 Model 70 from my Dad), to my Nephew - who will get everything anyway...So replacing firearms is foreign to me.

My Mini stable is now three '-14s. Thanks to our commie guv, I got a plain-Jane Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with none of the evil features of a Tactical. Have still to fire the first round through it after 2-3 months...Still has the Ruger packing grease on it...

Some day...

It may be my only Mini-14 legal in the days ahead...Need to get a boat! For an "accident"! But we're good for another year: the AWB was a non-starter in VA this year.
Beck likes this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:27   #9

Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
I would sell an AK to buy a Mini Thirty! (I don't have, nor have ever owned an AK). I did sell a nice Windham midlength gas AR15 that I won for $30 worth of raffle tickets in 2015. I had the rifle for about a year, but sold it to a work buddy and bought a new 583 Mini 14 (my first ever Mini rifle). I had acquired tons of .223/5.56 reloading supplies after the AR acquisition, so a 5.56 Mini made the most sense. But.... If I were to have gone out to buy my first Mini a few years before that, I would have selected a 7.62 rifle. A close friend of mine has had a Mini Thirty since around 1990.

To me, the Mini Thirty seems to be the one to have, if you have no other .223/7.62x39 guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Checking in with the hive...-c71c3444-3017-486d-b5f4-b89a11dd01f0.jpg   Checking in with the hive...-ab7bef87-64ed-47df-b1a1-b764e4007a20.jpg  
sandog and Beck like this.
firescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:35   #10

Glad to see you are back and stay safe. That Maddi depending on the importer could be worth $600 to $800 minimum.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 15:57   #11

Actually, this would go about $1000 to $1200. If it was a pre-ban (i.e. PARS or STEYR) , it would be $1500 to $3,000. As soon as I finished, I had an offer of $1,000 locally.

They are desirable as they are a true (albeit Semi-Auto) licensed AKM. They were made under license in Egypt on the same Russian machinery by Russians and Russian trained technicians. This one was manufactured completely in Egypt, then had the threads turned of the muzzle of the cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel to 1/2", and the FCG and pistol grip removed to import under the ban.

It has all matching numbers and was new-made on the same assembly line where Egypt was making their full auto ASKM, using the same parts.

I found an interesting grip, that I like as much as pistol grip and better than fin grip. Its a Russian version of the Mini-30!

hylander likes this.
Old 04-21-2020, 16:58   #12

That looks much better.
That grip is much better than the Fin.
The Fin is horrible to use and ugly to boot.
Old 04-21-2020, 18:17   #13

It actually handles almost as nice as the Mini-30! I can honestly say I think I prefer it to a pistol grip AK. Thinking of black polmer furniture, or maybe Russian plum color.

Here is my featurless AR-15. It has a Sparrow Dynamics grip which is Commiefornia legal, The stock is pinned and the muzzle has a muzzle brake instead of flash hider. I had built it for my son about 10 years ago, and he gave it back last year. I'll never sell it.

Old 04-21-2020, 20:57   #14

Maadi’s are great, I‘ve owned at least a half of a dozen of them. Most of them just needed a better finish and few of them had a canted sight, but once straight they shot very well!... if you wanted to get rid of it, it wouldn’t be hard to buy a mini with what you can sell it for.
Steak n eggs is offline   Reply With Quote