• 3 Post By imarangemaster
  • 1 Post By 40nascar
  • 1 Post By sandog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 19:04   #1
Temp Banned!

Mini 30 "Trunk Gun" Article.

Ladys and Gents,

Not sure if you noticed, or the subject already came up, but in the April 2019 issue of American Rifleman, there is a full page article on Trunk Guns, with the author's Mini 30 prominently featured. ( page 38 - "Out of Sight, Peace of Mind: The "Trunk Gun"). Although I and others here would do things a little differently, there are some good ideas discussed (with photos). I especially am re-thinking my options for optics because of this article. The durability and no need for batteries is causing me to think that a trijicon may be the way to go. Although it is a little pricey, if the federal government insists on sending me money, then I will use it to beef up my "Security Products" inventory during this time of Corona. Topping off my recently modified mini 30 stainless, with rugged and reliable optics is a high priority project while on home confinement. I believe current NRA members can link to the article, but I am technically challenged. If you want a paper copy, P.M. me and send an SASE and I will get it out to you
curt mini14, sandog, Beck and 1 others like this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 20:51   #2
Glass Half-Full Member

I've got that issue in paper copy somewhere. How did I miss that article? My mind must have been otherly occupied. I'll have to dig for it. It's around here somewhere.
40nascar likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 15:55   #3

I too was interested in the Trijicon ( I assume you mean the RMR) until I found out the battery free version comes in a very large dot only.
7 MOA, 9 MOA, 12.9 MOA and 13 MOA.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/pr...RM04-RM05-RM08
There are times (longer range shooting) when even the 3 MOA dot of the FastFire seems too large.
Batteries for the FastFire are cheap to stock up on if bought online, and mine are lasting around 5 years. And they have been pretty durable.
40nascar, Beck and Bepe like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2020, 18:38   #4

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I too was interested in the Trijicon ( I assume you mean the RMR) until I found out the battery free version comes in a very large dot only.
There are times (longer range shooting) when even the 3 MOA dot of the FastFire seems too large.
Batteries for the FastFire are cheap to stock up on if bought online, and mine are lasting around 5 years. And they have been pretty durable.
Holy Cow, 7,9,12.9, 13 MOA?
Can you even see a target with that size dot?
That Ain't a dot no more, it's an eclipse!
r80rt, sandog, Beck and 2 others like this.
Old 04-01-2020, 18:52   #5

Talking

Originally Posted by hylander View Post
Holy Cow, 7,9,12.9, 13 MOA?
Can you even see a target with that size dot?
That Ain't a dot no more, it's an eclipse!
Works well on elephants and dinosaurs.....
r80rt, 40nascar and Beck like this.
imarangemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 19:47   #6
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Yea, the article didn't mention that shortcoming of the RMR optic. Back to square one ( FFIII ? )
sandog likes this.
Old 04-01-2020, 20:16   #7
Glass Half-Full Member

A scout scope still works best for me. Now that my eyes are getting a little older I'm far sighted while wearing contacts. I have to keep the computer monitor more distance away and move written hard copy farther away. That makes my Burris 2.75X scout scope with heavy plex reticle darn near perfect. The forward scout position is just right.

Without contacts or glasses I'm near-sighted and can easily thread a needle, and examine small objects, no problem. It won't be too long before I'll break down and get bifocals, both contacts and glasses.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:03   #8

Too bad the dual fiber/optic Tritium version of the RMR doesn't use the Chevron instead of a dot, like some of the other Trijicon products use. Then you'd have a large "arrowhead" to put on targets quickly, but could use the tip of that arrowhead when more precision is needed.

I've used inexpensive safety glasses that have a bifocal lens on the bottom. Helped me to do paperwork related to my driving job. But using them to help my handgun shooting (to see the front sight more clearly) had me tilting the glasses way up on my head in order to see the bifocal part.

I just saw on the "Micro Dot with New Eyes" thread that there is a place that sells the safety glasses with the bifocal part up on the top. Just what I needed.
I love the knowledge gained from the exchange of info on this forum !
Bepe likes this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 14:09   #9

Check out some of the Holosun red dots if you're worried about battery life. Not only do they last a long time, but there are some solar options that give you some redundant power if your battery goes dead. I have a 507c that I'm tinkering with right now. Some of the high round count reviews on these optic are amazing. Especially for being on a pistol slide.
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 17:55   #10
Gunslinger

40, your pm is not working
HopalongCassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 18:20   #11
Temp Banned!

Red face

Originally Posted by HopalongCassidy View Post
40, your pm is not working
Did you try to send one? Or did one sent to you get screwed up? The mags have been sent.
Old 04-06-2020, 18:42   #12
Gunslinger

Got them. Tried to pm you. Says you are not receiving pms
HopalongCassidy is offline   Reply With Quote