• 2 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By kwg020
  • 1 Post By Richard Coss
  • 2 Post By kwg020
  • 2 Post By sandog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 08:42   #1

Need some info on mini 30

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with them. Has myself talked into buying one until I watched a u-tube video claiming that they wouldn't function well with steel cases. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Richard Coss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:20   #2
Glass Half-Full Member

I've been using steel case in my Mini-30 since 1989. But not all steel case is created equal, nor is all brass case. We've slain the steel case myth dragon in this form long ago. You can go around asking this same question in every forum you can find. It's called "Chasing your tail." You'll get different answers from different people in different forums and other sources.

RUGER HAS NEVER SAID NOT TO USE STEEL CASE. If you can find anything in writing from Ruger that says not to, I'd love to see it. I've never seen it in any Mini-30 manual. I've seen vague wordage that has been misconstrued and twisted to mean prohibiting steel case, but people who read it that way are mistaken.
r80rt and sandog like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:50   #3

Steel cases have their own issues. Hard primers and primers that are deeply set into the case. Sometimes it is the rifle. If the protrusion of the firing pin is too short, you are going to have problems with any case, to include brass. There is a fix for that. Usually it requires a different firing pin you can create the protrusion you like or there are some options you can try with your factory pin. Most of the time it means NOT using Wolf and Tula. Skip the extra strong hammer spring, you don't need it. We have several forum members that have the Mini 30 all figured out and have lots of success with the rifle.

kwg
sandog likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2020, 16:11   #4

Thanks guys. I'm was really hoping someone could clear the fog of steel case use because I really want one of these rifles. Your warning of Wolf and Tula ammo help alot. Thanks
kwg020 likes this.
Richard Coss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 16:45   #5

Originally Posted by Richard Coss View Post
Thanks guys. I'm was really hoping someone could clear the fog of steel case use because I really want one of these rifles. Your warning of Wolf and Tula ammo help alot. Thanks
If you haven't yet you soon will meet a guy by the name of Sandog. Him and Beck and probably a couple of other guys have a handle on the Mini 30 like no one else in the universe. You are in the right place.

kwg
sandog and tcsafety like this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 18:15   #6

You can get any Mini to run any brand of steel case, but you might need to do a few things first.
As kwg said, Tula and Wolf have the deepest set primers, and are the hardest for the Mini-30 firing pin to reach. Most other brands are not only easier to ignite, but are more accurate, cleaner burning and higher velocity as well.

With my stock firing pin, I had around 18 to 20 rounds out of 100 of Tula that didn't go off.
With Red Army Standard, it was 1 or 2 out of 100.
With Silver Bear, I've never had a round fail to go off, ever.

I fitted a longer firing pin from firingpins.com (formerly Iron Sight Precision) and keep it in the buttstock pouch of each Mini, in case I have to use a steady diet of steel case when SHTF.
But since I mostly shoot Silver Bear, PPU, and my handloads loaded in my PPU brass, I still use the factory firing pin.

Pony up and buy Ruger magazines, they aren't cheap but are quality steel and will last a long, long time. If you can find them, KCI 30 rounders are really good too.
There are lots of threads here and on rugerforum.net about firing pin protrusion, ammo choices and making the Mini-30 run sweet.
Some of them:

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...est-redux.html
https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...9-testing.html
https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...rotrusion.html
https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...drop-test.html
https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...mini-30-a.html
Bepe and tcsafety like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote