Help-I Think I Want a Mini-30 - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 05:55   #26

Originally Posted by zebco View Post
Hi Bepe. My mini starts with 582. Is there any significance to the longer f/h? Should I switch to a shorter? Thanks again for your input in all this.
Just a matter of looks. I've never done a side by side comparison to see if there is any difference inaccuracy. My stainless late 583 had the shorter hider. I figured I'd go with the short one on the blue 30 for looks and to match the stainless.

Ruger sells the shorter hider on their Shop Ruger site if you are interested.

Keep us filled in on your progress.

Bepe
2rangers and 40nascar like this.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:59   #27

Thanks Bepe...I always wondered about this myself. Ruger doesn't sell the long flash suppressor, but does sell the short one...and I always puzzled over the situation.
2rangers and 40nascar like this.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:33   #28

I think the short F/H looks a little better. Shouldn't be any difference in accuracy between the long and short.

Where you may see an accuracy change if using the A2 style hider with the closed bottom. Any change in escaping gases affects accuracy. The closed bottom of the A2 would affect the gases. Nice to not kick up a dust storm when shooting prone though.

Bepe
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2020, 18:11   #29

I will throw my two cents in on the flash hider.
I do not like them at all, I prefer a compensator.
I really like the Kaw Valley Linear Comp.
Directs the muzzle blast forward and is quieter than any FH or standard brake.
I have them on my AR's and they work great.
If I pick up a new Mini it will get one straight away.
And the factory FH is just ugly
Old 03-26-2020, 19:12   #30

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Flash hider beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Meaning, hopefully no one sees your flash and spots your position....
True flashhiders do just that- they hide the flash by either covering it up(look at a lee-enfield No.5 flash hider), or they break up the exiting gases, so the do not get excited enough to give off light. A lot of times, what we see as "flash" is actually compression of the air AHEAD of the bullet, in the barrel, compressed enough that it actually lights off.
Or it can be remnants of superheated propellant gases emerging from the muzzle. This may be especially true of a shorter barreled carbine, like a mini.
All this being said, the factory flash hider on a mini works very well. Not as well as a smith vortex, but very well.
jumpluff, 40nascar, sandog and 1 others like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:36   #31

Have any of you done a comparison of the efficacy of the two different lengths. I would love to know if they are equally effective in reducing flash signature or if one is more effective than the other?
40nascar likes this.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:50   #32

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Not on a ruger, no. I can tell you that the vortex completely eliminates visible flash, as viewed from 100 yds downrange, offset by 25 yds, in a 20" AR. it eliminates about 75% of flash from a 16" carbine, about 50% from a 14.5" M4, and about the same for a M177A2.
jumpluff and 40nascar like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:49   #33
Temp Banned!

Zebco, welcome to the brotherhood, and congratulations on your buy. Your Blued tactical is a premier variation of the mini-30, requiring minimal modifications. The first I would recommend is replacing the factory firing pin with one from firingpins.com. This will negate the problem with firing ammo made to C.I.P standards, rather than S.A.A.M.I (US ) standards. That is the only serious shortcoming of the Ruger design. Next up would be a trigger job to smooth out and lighten the factory trigger pull.

The must important thing to do after giving your mini the once over, and cleaning the carbine of the factory preservative oils ( dry patches throughout the bore and chamber) is to shoot the thing, to break it in. 200-300 rnds is fairly typical of most members here. During the break-in, you can evaluate your preferences for sighting options and other minor tweaks that suit you. Hopefully the ammo situation will be sorted out sometime soon, but be on the hunt in the meantime. I would ask the dealer you got the mini from to help with that.

Addressing the accuracy and functional issues of the AK, and SKS platforms. AK- I have never fired one that could could do better than 4-5 MOA from the bench on a rest. It is the ultimate in reliability, but it is not accurate enough for my liking. Probably perfect as an urban defensive weapon, but not for me.

SKS - I have one, and love it, a Russian TULA. 2-3 MOA from a bench. About equal to an unmodified mini. Drawbacks: a. Weight- about 3/4 pound more than the mini. b. Sighting options - there are many aftermarket setups to adapt the SKS for optics, all of which are piss poor. The only one that is effective involves drilling holes into the reciever and destroying the collector value. The SKS is a good rugged firearm for young eyes if you can live with its limitations. A good truck gun or backup weapon in 7.62x39.

My first choice is my 580 stainless mini 30 with ultimak rail, firing pin upgrade, and optics
It weighs the same as an SKS with iron sights.
sandog, Beck and Bepe like this.

Last edited by 40nascar; 03-27-2020 at 13:22. Reason: Autocorrect error
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 15:09   #34
Glass Half-Full Member

I've always liked the Ruger and AR birdcage type flash hiders. They don't add so much as a decibel of sound from the shooter's perspective. Neither does the Eagle flash hider/HK sight. A traditional comp or combination comp/flash hider will add some noise.

Back then no one was threading their Mini-30 barrels. For the most part we had various slip-on/pin-on flash hiders.

I've used Eagle sights as pictured below since late 1990, maybe early 1991. If anything it seemed quieter when I went from no flash hider to the Eagle.

Below is an outdated pic of my 189 Mini-30. I won't be mounting the scout scope from the gas block anymore. I have a wood handguard now. I replaced my Williams rear sight with an XS Systems threaded ghost ring/peep. I 've added a Choate recoil pad. And I use Ruger factory 20s rather than the USA mags in the pic.

I'm also in the process of making my own barrel shroud from black anodized .875" 6061-T6 aluminum. It will be slightly smaller in diameter than the Eagle barrel shroud, but will have greater wall thickness. I won't be posting any new pics until all my mods are finally done.

And one more thing... maybe the most important function of a flash hider: To keep the shooter form going temporarily blind.
jumpluff likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 19:28   #35

IN my past life as a helicopter crew chief in the Guard, I can tell you that even with a blank firing adapter over the flash hider you can see the flash of an M16 from 200 feet above the ground with night vision goggles on. NVD's are everywhere now. You can have the "best" flash hiding device on the end of your barrel and if your enemy has NVD's, you are spotted.

I vote for the linear comp. If things blow up quickly and there is no opportunity to put in some hearing protection I want the next best thing without having to ask permission from Uncle Sam to get a suppressor.

kwg
jumpluff, 40nascar and Beck like this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 22:10   #36
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
IN my past life as a helicopter crew chief in the Guard, I can tell you that even with a blank firing adapter over the flash hider you can see the flash of an M16 from 200 feet above the ground with night vision goggles on. NVD's are everywhere now. You can have the "best" flash hiding device on the end of your barrel and if your enemy has NVD's, you are spotted....

kwg
^^^^^ Another good example of why the only reason I've had a flash hider was to keep me from experiencing temporary flash blindness in low light. I never saw my flash hider as a tool to conceal my position from someone else. However in most domestic/self defense encounters it would still be useful for that.
jumpluff likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote