February 2020 Rifle magazine Article on the Mini-14 and Mini-30 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree32Likes
  • 6 Post By sandog
  • 3 Post By sandog
  • 2 Post By Beck
  • 2 Post By hylander
  • 1 Post By Street
  • 1 Post By kwg020
  • 1 Post By Timberdog
  • 4 Post By Beck
  • 2 Post By kwg020
  • 1 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 2 Post By kwg020
  • 3 Post By Beck
  • 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine
  • 3 Post By hawkguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2020, 14:45   #1

February 2020 Rifle magazine Article on the Mini-14 and Mini-30

Saw this while I was looking for a .45 Colt article.
Lots of ads throughout, but still good reading:
https://www.riflemagazine.com/ruger-...nd-mini-thirty
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 15:47   #2

Just got my chores done and had some time to sit down and finish the article.
Naturally, Brian got the .308/.310 thing reversed when talking about the Mini -30.
He said that since 1990, all Mini-30's ( and the 77 Mk that was chambered for the 7.62 x 39) have had a .308 bore, and that previous to 1990, they had .311 diameter bores.
Of course, just the opposite is the case, but actually they are now .310, not .311.

But always good to hear positive write ups about the Mini.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 19:44   #3
Glass Half-Full Member

Pretty good article, except for the aforementioned errors concerning bore diameter. He also says most CIP ammo is .312 in diameter. I've never seen anything over .311 bullet diameter in anything I've used. Even my old Chinese surplus steel core mics between .310 and .311, depending what factory it came out of. .312 is out there, but not common.

Someday maybe we'll put all the Mini myths to rest... but probably not. Even by accident, gun writers continue to confuse the bejesus out of everyone.

God bless 'em anyway...
jumpluff and sandog like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2020, 22:27   #4

Good read.
I want to buy a new Mini but they are over $800 now.
Even the local used ones the owners are asking between $650 and $800 when you can find them.
sandog and Beck like this.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:11   #5

Yeah, prices on Mini 14's these days are getting pretty stupid.
Beck likes this.
Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:07   #6

There seems to be a run on all firearms across America. Be prepared to pay a premium on all ammo and firearms if you should decide to by either in the near future.

kwg
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 16:16   #7

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
There seems to be a run on all firearms across America. Be prepared to pay a premium on all ammo and firearms if you should decide to by either in the near future.

kwg
True dat! Just looked on Targetsports and Outdoorlimited. All the cheaper .223 ammo is gone. These two companies will ship to NY.
Beck likes this.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 16:24   #8
Glass Half-Full Member

The good people will keep their cool. The SGAmmo site is down at the moment... overwhelmed with orders, so they're not taking new orders for a week or so. But last time I looked when I could see products and prices they had not raised their prices. Just a few days ago they still had the special for 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger 7.62x39 for only $189.00 plus a reasonable shipping cost of $22.00.

We'll see how long they can keep their prices down under the pressures of supply and demand, but so far SG and many others have behaved honorably... as we all should in times like these.

We will remember those who do the right thing, and those who take advantage of our present circumstances after the smoke clears.
Old 03-18-2020, 19:05   #9

I have a couple of large ammo cans of reloaded .223. I have brass and primers but I'm short on bullets and powder to reload the brass I have. I'm hoping this is all a bad dream by August and we can get life back to something resembling normal and everything I have in those ammo cans never sees the light of day.
kwg
Old 03-22-2020, 16:34   #10

Yes, I talked to Brian Pearce at the SHOT Show 2019 and told him about the bushings, gas blocks and the guns beating themselves stupid and he covered that in the Bushing article. Pretty much verbatim what I told him. He has seen my groups and I used his techniques for target style and aiming points to shoot them, which I have talked about here many times.

Both the articles were well done as is usual for him. I consider him to be "one of those that knows."

Randy
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 03-22-2020, 17:37   #11

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Pretty good article, except for the aforementioned errors concerning bore diameter. He also says most CIP ammo is .312 in diameter. I've never seen anything over .311 bullet diameter in anything I've used. Even my old Chinese surplus steel core mics between .310 and .311, depending what factory it came out of. .312 is out there, but not common.

Someday maybe we'll put all the Mini myths to rest... but probably not. Even by accident, gun writers continue to confuse the bejesus out of everyone.

God bless 'em anyway...
.310 to .312 is only 3 thousands of an inch. The average hair on a mans head is .004 thousands. The only thing I would be suspicious of is steel core ammo. The older rifles with the .308 bore may have some pressure issues with the steel core ammo. Otherwise, buy what shoots the best.

kwg
harles and Beck like this.
Old 03-22-2020, 18:22   #12
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
.310 to .312 is only 3 thousands of an inch. The average hair on a mans head is .004 thousands. The only thing I would be suspicious of is steel core ammo. The older rifles with the .308 bore may have some pressure issues with the steel core ammo. Otherwise, buy what shoots the best.

kwg
Interesting you mentioned human hair diameter. A few weeks ago I started writing a post I called "Big Hairy Deal" where I compare the thickness of a typical Caucasian hair that's on the thin side to the difference between .308 and .310/.311 bullets. My point being... what's 2 or 3 thousands difference among friends?

Ruger did find there's a slight increase in pressure shooting .311 projectiles through a .308 bore, but it's not enough to loose any sleep over.

As for bimetal jacketed bullets... it doesn't worry me. Steel case with .310 to .311 bimetal bullets is mostly what I've put through my Mini-30 in the 30 years I've owned it. It's no worse for the wear. There is no wear. The internal dimensions of my barrel are basically the same as when I bought it in 1989.

By the way, the official SAAMI spec for 7.62x39 groove diameter is a range between .308 to .310. The SAAMI spec for x39 bullet diameter is a range between .309 to .311. (Latest spec as of 2015). However, depending on bullet design, many .308 bullets perform just fine in .310 bores.

Last edited by Beck; 03-22-2020 at 20:38.
Old 04-02-2020, 15:52   #13

Again SANDOG gets 4 star ��rating for a thread.
Just to toss gay into fire �� I've got good results loading the Speer 150 gr
Soft point flat base .308 for my .310 bore m30. At least on paper at 100 ms. I used winny 123 gr sp filling 2 doe tags 1 left the jacket in the opposite shoulder on a profile shot - about 150# field dressed at a bout 75 ms. The other was a larger doe I took at about 100 ms right down the gullet slug came apart the mangled core stuck in the pelvic area.
I consider the commonly available 123 gr sp loads inadequate for larger game in thick Bush unless ideal shot presents. Our Ruger 30s are
after all a bush gun and/or urban combat or smaller farm, ranch gun with 200 meter deadly effective range. Hand Load a heavier robust built slug over a factory equivalent powder charge for larger deer, hog and black bear IMO that is.
sandog likes this.
Old 04-02-2020, 18:36   #14
large member

Originally Posted by hylander View Post
Good read.
I want to buy a new Mini but they are over $800 now.
Even the local used ones the owners are asking between $650 and $800 when you can find them.
i gotta say...you just waited too late, my brother.

i saw 2 minis on shelf apx. 6 months ago at a gun store nearby. both used. one a 580 the other a 190ish series if remember correctly. one $549, the other $599.

ALWAYS buy when no one wants a gun! that was the last 2 years, too late now.

Last edited by hawkguy; 04-02-2020 at 18:40. Reason: mistake
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 18:37   #15
large member

Originally Posted by Street View Post
Yeah, prices on Mini 14's these days are getting pretty stupid.
the prices on everything is stupid, during a panic.

2-3 months ago, i got something i wanted. talked em down $100 w/o breaking a sweat.
Old 04-02-2020, 18:48   #16
large member

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Saw this while I was looking for a .45 Colt article.
Lots of ads throughout, but still good reading:
https://www.riflemagazine.com/ruger-...nd-mini-thirty
good find, sandog. love that this is yet another publication testing the accuracy of stock minis......

guess what? not 6" groups, not 4" groups some claim....groups under 2 and 3 inches....same thing we've been saying here for quite some time.

the new minis shoot. time to accept facts.

sums up my experience quite well:

"The Mini-14 has been a highly successful rifle with impressive production numbers sold, but it is not without controversy, which is mostly based on accuracy issues with early rifles. It is occasionally belittled by AR fans in an effort to make their rifle choice appear superior, but the truth is they can be amazingly reliable, produce respectable accuracy, are fun to shoot and are an excellent choice for many sporting applications that include hunting and recreation, or they can just be kept by the door for security."
jumpluff, sandog and tcsafety like this.