Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Blacktail 8541
  • 1 Post By kwg020
  • 1 Post By Blacktail 8541

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2020, 18:07   #1

New mini stringing vertically (UPDATE )

From this thread. https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...ertically.html

An update with the progress of my mini 30. I did not send it back to ruger, what I did was play with the shims and load in the synthetic stock and got to a level of getting the first 3 shots from a cold bore into 1 1/4 in and then it would jump strait up and group a couple real good. just could not get it to constantly do it in the same place. So I ordered a new stock and gas bushings from Accuracy Systems. Put it all together, to include sanding the op rod channel for clearance.

Reinstalled the scope and off to the range. Shot some wolf 123 HP to get on paper and was surprised to see a 5 shot group just over 2 inches at 100 yards. Didn't clean the bore and went to some hand loads that showed promise before the new stock. 123 grain Barnes x over a mid load of aa1680. The first 3 went into a group of 7/8th inch! Adjusted the scope and the next 2 were 3/8 inch apart. Only had 5 in that charge weight. The next 5 were in an 1-1/2 inch group.

Today I started with some more of the wolf ammo and the .065 gas bushing. It ejected and cycled the rifle fine. Changed out the bushing for the .060 and had erratic function. The rifle would intermittently short stroke or fail to feed. I put 20 rounds through it. Reinstalled the .065 gas bushing and function returned to normal. Now to finish up with the load development for my hunting ammo.
Blacktail 8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 19:00   #2

Did you get one of ASI's wood stock ???

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 19:12   #3

Yes a walnut with nice grain and figure in the butt area!
Only problem with the stock was that I ordered it with a 13 inch length of pull and it came with the standard 13-1/2 length. It is to pretty to send back so I will live with it until I decide to take a 1/2 inch off.
kwg020 likes this.

Old 03-12-2020, 19:15   #4

I have a Mini that I bedded into a gray laminate stock with JB Weld. It did help. Not as much as I wanted it to, but the concept was right. Now that you have a wood stock, bed it. I think gundoc has an old video out there.

kwg
faawrenchbndr likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 19:22   #5

I have plans to, will just have to wait till I'm in the mood. Going to enjoy the improvements for a short while first. I will look up bedding methods to see the key points. I have bedded a lot of bolt guns as well as a few m14 type and 2 garands.
kwg020 likes this.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:50   #6

Glad to hear it is working out.
Let us know the outcome of the next range trip