• 2 Post By RJF
  • 3 Post By firescout
  • 1 Post By 45acpskng
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By phobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2020, 17:14   #1

No Mods?

I read on here a lot and I'm kinda curious if there are others who are running their rifle in stock form like me and if so are you happy with it? Just wondering.
jumpluff and tcsafety like this.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 17:47   #2

Yip other then a Gundoc trigger job and a 1911 buffer 185 series is stock.
Old 02-22-2020, 20:04   #3

Mine is tuned some. I took mine out on a Mt Lion hunt back in the
90's and the houndsman soon was packing one and now there are quite
a few houndsmen with mini's. All are box stock , no scope . MM
tcsafety likes this.
mini-mizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 20:38   #4

My mini is stock as can be. Other than tossing brass three blocks to the right I have no reason to alter it.
jumpluff, Jeff F, GAMEOVER and 1 others like this.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 20:45   #5

I'm not bone stock but I do run what I would call a stock 188 Mini 14 Ranch. It just has a choate flash hider, choate stock, and choate hand guard but other than that... I have the stock gas bushing, no stabilizer bar, didn't need to shim the stock, trigger is stock, and nothing done to the slide assembly. I'm perfectly happy with the accuracy and reliability of the little carbine. As long as I do my part it will hit the target. As illustrated in my video at 1minute 55seconds, I loaded up 10 rounds, and 10 bowling pins at 150 yards, and missed a lot of shots. Then at 2minutes 36seconds in the video I have loaded up 10 more rounds, reset the bowling pins and got 8 out of 10. further on in the video i set up some water jugs and cleared them, and whopped on the steel gong for another 20 rounds, staying on target. Video in question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnqnUsoZDo&t=17s

The point is that I was running on a hot barrel and staying on target. My MOA has never exceeded 3inched, and it seems to like 62grain ammo. I've had really good luck with Monarch 62gr steel case ammo, and Winchester 62gr FMJ's. As a semi auto carbine, it does the job she was designed for.
Attached Thumbnails
No Mods?-20170604_112133.jpg  
tcsafety and Timberdog like this.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:11   #6
hq_

Oh yes. I ran it as-is for a while and I was happy with it. Now, with some gunsmithing, a few tweaks and a total of $0 spent I'm even happier. All internal parts are still OEM, I've only installed a scope and a sling.

Accessorizing and installing aftermarket components can be a lot of fun but when everything already works and can be improved upon, I haven't bothered.
hq_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:10   #7

No Mods ? What fun is that ?
Mini's work fine in stock form, but work even better with a few mods.

1) Better accuracy (reduce the excess gas, and shorter barrel with a flash hider)
2) Lighter, smoother trigger ( Gun Doc video, Brimstone or Mc Carbo trigger mods)
3) Softer shooting and less clangy (reduced gas bushing and buffers)
4) Improved iron sights (Tech and thinning the front blade)
5) Low mounted red dots out of the way of the action (Ultimak rail)
6) Improved sling mounting (Side sling with a short rail on the off side for a light)
7) Cerakote (No more glare or rust ever again, and a unique, one of a kind Mini)

While a stock Mini would still go bang when you pull the trigger, I wouldn't like mine near as much if they were still in stock form.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:38   #8

Ruger states that the Mini-14 rifles are "RUGGED, RELIABLE AND DURABLE ON THE FARM, RANCH OR IN THE DEEP WOODS."

In my experience I have always found this to be true.

This is what I was looking for in a rifle 30 years ago and is why I bought my first wood stocked stainless Ranch Rifle. My mission requirements were fully satisfied by this rifle out of the box.

I have the same mission requirements today.

As the “herd”* has grown I still find that they are completely mission capable out of the box. I add only a simple sling but this is not a modification IMHO, as Ruger provides installed swivels on each rifle.

I admire all those who have the creativity and skill to tweak their rifles to meet their individual preferences.

I however am as boring as the day is long and find my simple needs require no modifications. For that...I will offer NO apology.

YMMV

*Still have that first Mini-14 Ranch. Still meets the need. Herd has only grown because of my fondness for the design...not because the initial rifle has failed to keep up with my mission requirements.

The growing herd does of course drive she who must be obeyed to distraction, but then I remind her that her shoe collection rivals that of Imelda Marcos!
tcsafety likes this.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:48   #9

Colonel Townsend Whelen said and I agree: Only accurate rifles are interesting. My 190 SS ranch was alarming to me, 3-4 out of the box put it waaay back in the safe. Then I found this forum and talked my buddy into doing the trigger, Brimstone GS, Did some more reading and decided to try and help it out because I hate selling guns. Cut the barrel off right past the front sight roll pin recess, crowned it, flash hider, and of course the trigger. It is still my least accurate rifle but it is a coyote killer now and sits in a front position inside the safe. I have a light and laser on it for night time use.
sandog and tcsafety like this.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:55   #10
RJF

I run my 1977-vintage 181GB as it left the factory. Zero mods other than a side-mounted P-Rail (which I don't use). Only add-on is 1911 buffers fore-and-aft. For a "skinny-Mini", it does 3-4 MOA with an impatient shooter with rotten eyesight (me) from a wobbly rest shooting factory ammo.

Only mods to my 583 Tactical are a Tech-Sight rear sight, buffers fore-and-aft, and grinding off the lip at the front of the op-rod.

Have done nothing to my newly acquired NIB 583 Ranch. Yet. Haven't even cleaned/fired it! Will toy with the rear sight and bushings (a full enhanced set from Hadaway that should cover both the Ranch and the Tactical). One of the 583s will get an UltiMak and a Burris FF3 - like Sandog's.
chill1955, sandog and tcsafety like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 19:11   #11
Glass Half-Full Member

I enjoyed my 189 Series Mini-30 for about the first year I had it in factory stock condition. It was a fun gun right out of the box. In that first year I had the 5-round magazine that came with it and an extra factory 5-rounder I bought new at the same store I bought my Mini.

Then I started seeing Mini-30 accessories at gun shows and in magazine ads. My then wife went with me to a lot of gun shows. She would say, "Honey, you have that crazy look in your eye! What accessory for the Mini-30 are you looking at this time... another high cap magazine?"

ME: No, it's an Eagle Ventilated Barrel Shroud with a 360 degree swivel

HER: Ok, just buy it and let's get it over with!

The rest is history...
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:15   #12

My factory folder is bone stock,.........for now
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 14:29   #13

Best Mini is a unmolested Mini.
jumpluff, GAMEOVER and RJF like this.
mini14collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 16:09   #14

Originally Posted by mini14collector View Post
Best Mini is a unmolested Mini.
Sure, if you are a ...…. collector......
If you want to shoot the things, I can think of lots of mods that improve on an unmolested Mini.
RJF and tcsafety like this.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:24   #15
RJF

Sandog, I agree. But sometimes, factory original is where it's at. Like maybe a '69 Road Runner: sure could fit a 426 Hemi into it, Brembo brakes, a DVD entertainment center, and a few other things, but there is just something about going for a ride in your factory-original machine...

To each their own!
jumpluff and tcsafety like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:33   #16

583 series Mini 14 here. Polished trigger sears for a 4 lb trigger pull. 0.050" ASI gas port bushing. Polished all the friction points on the bolt, hammer, receiver, safety, and slide (op rod). Installed blue Wilson 1911 buffers front and rear. Filed front of slide face smooth (for front buffer). Installed Choate handguard. Removed factory sling swivels and drilled/modified front to accept 1 1/4" KNS parkerized QD sling swivels. Shortened buttstock by approximately 5/8".

The majority of my time was spent polishing all of the friction points that appeared after a few hundred rounds through it. I do the action polishing on almost all of my firearms, though.

I still plan on thinning the front sight blade and epoxy bedding the receiver in the wood stock.
sandog, RJF and tcsafety like this.
firescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:10   #17

Just picked up my brand new 584series Mini last week, LOVE IT! All I added was a sling, extra mags, and ammo! Ruger made enough improvements on the Mini, where it needs nothing. Thanks Ruger!
PS: I did loosen the gas block screws, to even up the gap on both sides of block. I don't know that it did anything, just looks better.
Timberdog likes this.
45acpskng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:39   #18

What is perfect for some, is lacking for others. Glad you are happy with the stock Mini, that's all that matters.
tcsafety likes this.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:02   #19

My Mini is stock and I love it, you can always attach a sling to it too.
Timberdog likes this.
phobs is offline   Reply With Quote