The boy is making a trade... - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By familyman357oh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2020, 12:43   #1

The boy is making a trade...

Last year he bought a 583 series Mini 14 Ranch Rifle from my favorite LGS $535.
He saw it, liked the price, and bought it.
Once he got home with it he was disappointed that it wasn't the 'tactical' version with the flash suppressor and shorter barrel, but still liked the deal he got.

Since I own the 582 series 30 Tactical, and the 583 series 14 Tactical, it has kind of gnawed at him some, plus he later decided that he'd have rather had the stainless variety instead.

That same favorite LGS took in a 580 series stainless set up like the Tactical with 16" barrel, flash hider, and sight further back to make room for it.
It is in some kind of ATI collapsible stock that I'm not familiar with.
Looking the rifle over, it looks like someone may've cut and thread the barrel, and slid the sight rearward themselves.
I say that because there is a bright ring like a score mark, at the front edge of the sight, and I've not ever seen that from the factory on one.
The front sight is also slightly canted to the right, not something I would expect to see from the factory.

Perusing GunBroker, I came across this auction...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851599557

with this crappy stock photo.

That is exactly the rifle that the boy is going to swap his for, in exactly the same stock.

I don't find this configuration on Ruger's site as being a current production rifle, is it?

Did Ruger produce this configuration back in the days of the 580 series?

Is there a chance that it actually is a factory configuration despite the 'flaws' in the front sight installation?
Attached Thumbnails
The boy is making a trade...-pix236285430.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 13:46   #2

That configuration is a Ruger 5833. It was a production item at one time (I'm not sure when). However, the stock on the 5833 (and the one shown in your photo) is a TAPCO Intrafuse stock, not an ATI stock.

Assuming it's really a TAPCO Intrafuse and not an ATI stock, I have no idea whether the particular rifle that you're considering started out as a 5833. If you can get the serial number, go to ruger.com, select "Customer Service" at the bottom of the screen, select "Serial Number History", and type in the serial number. This should work for most or all Ruger products made since 2000 and may give you enough detail to be able to determine whether the rifle you're looking at is a 5833 or somebody's homebrew attempt to make a rifle like the 5833.
2rangers and jumpluff like this.

Last edited by familyman357oh; 01-25-2020 at 14:09.
familyman357oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 15:05   #3

Good advice and thank you familyman357oh, welcome.
Ruger says that it is a 5833 shipped in 2009.
I guess that the quirks with the front sight install could be chalked up to what I've experienced with Ruger in recent years.
Meet demand... QC be damned.
I guess the one in the GB auction should have been listed as new old stock.

Good news that the boy will be happy to hear.

ATI vs. Tapco is like Rubbermaid vs. Tupperware to me!

Old 01-25-2020, 20:29   #4

Thumbs up

Cool. I'm glad that you were able to nail it down so you can make an informed decision. My taste runs toward wood-stocked pre-580 Mini-14s, but the 5833 seems like it may be fairly practical.
Old 01-25-2020, 22:47   #5

For his plus a little cash he'll have what he wanted to begin with... and I've no doubt he'll buy wood shoes for it before he's done.

I cut and crowned my 188 and tried a couple of configurations on sights and muzzle devices, so I'm confident that we can nudge the sight forward, true it up and re-pin it... or just send it back to Ruger and let them handle it properly.

Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2020, 17:16   #6

The boy made the trade and brought the rifle home this week, took it to the range today.
Looking at it we realized that the front sight was not in fact canted, but the heat shield portion of the Tapco stock had actually warped over time, making it appear to be.
We dropped it in the standard poly stock that my Mini 30 came in and used a Choate hand guard I had around.
He's happy for now but intends to order one of the Sampson folding stocks now that he's seen them, and wants a forward rail something like Sandog is using for mounting an optic.
Old 02-09-2020, 17:35   #7

Thumbs up

That's some good news about the front sight!