• 3 Post By kkina
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By mini-mizer
  • 2 Post By chill1955
  • 1 Post By chill1955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2019, 13:38   #1

Muzzle devicesí affect on accuracy?

Surely the weight of any muzzle device has an affect in barrel harmonics, whether it be the factory front sight or flash hider, or whatever.

Been brain storming in my attempt to help my 584 shoot better and considered removing the factory pinned front sight (im using optics) to see how its affects groups. Curious if anyone has performed or heard of anyone performing an experiment with different muzzle device weights including nothing installed.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 13:54   #2

Yes, it does help with accuracy. The weight of the device does reduce barrel whipping to a small degree.
2rangers and sandog like this.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 15:09   #3

Have you heard of a mini with nothing attached to the end of the barrel that shoots good? Any idea if the more weight the better, or less?

Old 12-29-2019, 15:36   #4

I haven’t heard of that before.
My plan is to cut a 184- down to 16.5”
Going to see how it shoots before having it threaded and a Ruger short device installed
2rangers and chill1955 like this.
Old 12-29-2019, 16:46   #5

Based on my reading, thats usually an improvement on the skinny barrels
2rangers likes this.
Old 12-29-2019, 17:24   #6

Very true
2rangers likes this.
Old 12-29-2019, 22:48   #7

Attaching a muzzle device (flash hider, muzzle brake, etc.) used to be a pretty standard method for accurizing early thin barrel Minis. The idea is to impose a vibrational node right at the point where the bullet exits the barrel. In general, it cut groups in half.

I don't remember if anyone quantified the effect at all (i.e. compared different weights).
2rangers, sandog and SEHunter like this.
2004: Iron Class: Series 1; Scope Class: Series 1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:56   #8

Thanks, sounds like its not worth trying since removing the front sight can be so difficult. However I would like a flash hider at some point. If I ever do that I’ll take the opportunity to see how it shoots without anything installed.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:06   #9

These 3 Mini-30s are 16.25", 17.25" and 18.5". While they are older Minis they are not true "pencil barrels" as they are .625" diameter barrels.
Shortening the barrel, recrowning, and adding a flash hider are things I will do to any new Mini I get.

Theoretically the shortest barrel will be the most accurate, but it will depend on the individual barrel. A less than stellar shorty isn't going to perform as well as a better made long barrel.

A little over a year ago I gave the long barreled Mini on the right to my daughter.
Although a bit longer, it was lighter due to the synthetic stock, so I decided to keep my heavier wood stock Mini and the next Mini I bought would replace the one I gave her.
Well the pristine stainless/synthetic M-30 on the left came along, and I range tested it before starting any mods. It just wasn't up to the same level as the other two.

I figured it would need all the help it could get, so I went all out.
Shortened the barrel, re-crown, threaded it and added a flash hider, shimmed the stock, trigger work, and buffers. Because of the short barrel, a smaller gas bushing was not used, it needed the full .100" factory bushing to cycle.

It is still not up to the same accuracy level as the other Minis, I attribute that to the barrel not being as good. It is not bad, grouping 2 1/2" - 3" at 100 with most loads, but the other Minis do almost half of that.
It shot best with Red Army Standard, so the 1000 round case that came with the carbine I gave to my daughter.

So when my daughter visited last spring, I asked her to bring the 18.5" Mini back to me, and I gave her the shorty instead.
It is handy with the short barrel, but illustrates the point that not all Minis will be helped by a barrel chop and a muzzle device. It must be decently accurate to begin with.

SEHunter, I think you might want to try another Mini before sinking more time and money into yours, or send it back to Ruger and maybe they'll replace it.
A Mini that strings that much horizontally isn't normal, and will be an exercise in frustration trying to sort the issue out.
chill1955 likes this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:00   #10

My first post on this board was about a slip on adjustable muzzle
brake----->>https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...ccu-brake.html

I've run a few buckets of ammo thru this unit. Mostly on ground squirrels
on pasture and hay ground. It was LOUD , sold it and replaced with a
homemade " barrel tuner"------->https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruge...rel-tuner.html

I still use it and it works real well. Firing from a rest a 20rd mag dump @ 100yds will group "minute of golf ball" with surplus powder/bullet hand loads.
Varmint hand loads loads a bit better.

There is a science to barrel harmonics. MM
tcsafety likes this.
mini-mizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:24   #11

190 series ss ranch was a 3-4 out of the box. Got the trigger 3 lb clean break. Sawed the barrel off behind the front sight roll pin 16.25". Crowned 11.5 degrees. Put on a CMT flash hider, put it in and ATI stock, and now it's my local coyote rifle when a neighbor calls. Shoots 1.5" @100yds with a weak 1-4x optic. I could put a telescope on it and do a bit better. Carbines and big glass just looks wrong to me.
sandog and tcsafety like this.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:29   #12

Originally Posted by kkina View Post
Attaching a muzzle device (flash hider, muzzle brake, etc.) used to be a pretty standard method for accurizing early thin barrel Minis. The idea is to impose a vibrational node right at the point where the bullet exits the barrel. In general, it cut groups in half.

I don't remember if anyone quantified the effect at all (i.e. compared different weights).
If I ever run into a used skinny I'm grabbing it for experimentation and document each incremental step. I was in a hurry with mine and violated my usual systematic approach. I think the limiting factor with mine is some barrels are better than others.
sandog likes this.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:43   #13

I don't doubt that some barrels are much better than others. I had a 181 series Mini I had ASI put on. It was an 8 inch gun at 100 yards prior to the new barrel. I later bought a 184 Mini that was a 4" rifle with the right ammo. One thing I noticed between the new ASI barrel and my 184 Mini barrel was when I pulled a bore snake through it.

When I pulled a bore snake through the ASI barrel it was absolutely silent. When I pulled a bore snake through the 184 barrel you could hear the sound the snake made against the inside of the barrel. The difference was "deafening" so to speak. The 184 now has an ASI barrel on it as well. Again, pulling a bore snake through it and it's silent. ON my 580 series Mini there was a noticeable sound but nothing like the original 184 series barrel. I have also "seasoned" the 580 barrel with my Brasso technique. It is now much quieter than it was when it was new.

Yes, some barrels are bad from the factory and the only thing you can do is replace them.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 15:28   #14

Interesting, thanks guys. Most of you are contributors to my other current thread. Still haven’t shot it since replacing the gas block from the ASI non adjustable back to factory but ill keep these comments in mind. Thank you.