Question Failure to extract - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 13:08   #26

Originally Posted by 2rangers View Post
Also,
Some rifles simply do not like steel cased ammo. Unless I am in a firefight with nothing else to use, I avoid it like the plague.

I bought ruger mini 14 because many said this rifle will take any ammo including cheap steel ammo and just keeps on running. It is a true ranch carbine. This was the main selling point to the rifle and now I am strongly regretting that I shouldíve got the AR like the one I used in the MC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chill1955 likes this.
uscmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 14:26   #27
Glass Half-Full Member

Sorry about the bad news, but don't give up. The problem with your Mini is not representative of the species. I still have the original 30-year-old ejector in my Mini-30. No problems at all, but like Bepe said, I keep it lubed behind the plate.

I've never seen a hole in a Mini bolt before. That's a new on on me. Must go back to Ruger for replacement of the bolt for sure. The ejector may be the wrong type... oversize and made that hole while at the same time chipping and wearing the ejector. Or there may have been a defect in that area of the bolt.

There are at least three different sizes of ejector that I know of. I was going to buy a stainless ejector for my M-30, but none of the ones I could find online would fit. So I bought another blued one to have as a spare. The original is rust-free with no appreciable wear, except for a little bluing rubbed off on the very tip.

There's definitely something out of line if your ejectors are wearing like that.

The ammo you're using is fine. That's not the problem. I've used mostly steel case over the 30 years I've owned this M-30. There are countless Mini-14 owners using steel case as well with no issues.
uscmarine likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 22:32   #28

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Sorry about the bad news, but don't give up. The problem with your Mini is not representative of the species. I still have the original 30-year-old ejector in my Mini-30. No problems at all, but like Bepe said, I keep it lubed behind the plate.

I've never seen a hole in a Mini bolt before. That's a new on on me. Must go back to Ruger for replacement of the bolt for sure. The ejector may be the wrong type... oversize and made that hole while at the same time chipping and wearing the ejector. Or there may have been a defect in that area of the bolt.

There are at least three different sizes of ejector that I know of. I was going to buy a stainless ejector for my M-30, but none of the ones I could find online would fit. So I bought another blued one to have as a spare. The original is rust-free with no appreciable wear, except for a little bluing rubbed off on the very tip.

There's definitely something out of line if your ejectors are wearing like that.

The ammo you're using is fine. That's not the problem. I've used mostly steel case over the 30 years I've owned this M-30. There are countless Mini-14 owners using steel case as well with no issues.

This is good to know that the hole is not supposed to be there. Iím sure ruger will notice that. I hope they fix this issue for good!

2rangers and Beck like this.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:29   #29

Put a note in with the gun. Don't count on them noticing. A new bolt might be the answer.
migyver and Beck like this.

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.

Gun control=OSHA for criminals

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 13:49   #30

Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Put a note in with the gun. Don't count on them noticing. A new bolt might be the answer.

Good call! I print out the picture of the bolt with a hole and put in the package.

Old 01-21-2020, 13:49   #31

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Like I said....the bolt is toast. It will have to go back to Ruger. When you get the new bolt and rifle back put some grease...not oil....on the ejector channel. Also put s wipe of grease on the bolt locking lugs and in the op rod channel. If it slides use grease. Brownells has a video on properly lubing a MIni.

Different animal than an AR.

Bepe

Yes, I use Hobb gun oil to do my maintenance but grease or Vaseline might be helpful

Old 01-21-2020, 20:59   #32

Holy cow, NO vaseline!!!! The use of grease "might be helpful" isn't an option, it is required for proper lubing of the Mini. Same principle as the M-14 and Garand. I use Mil-Com TW25b, but any good gun grease will work.

Us Forum members are trying to lead you down the right path. Once again ....research Brownells for a Mini 14 lubing video.

Bepe

I was just joking about the Vaseline but iíll check out the grease you told me about!

2rangers, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 01-21-2020, 21:10   #33
Glass Half-Full Member

Mil-Comm TW25B and Lubriplate 130-A are two good choices for grease. Both are used by the U.S. Military.

I've had the same 16 oz can of Lubriplate 130-A for 6 years. A little goes a long way. It's been the official U.S. Mil Spec greese for M14 rifles going way back. If it's good enough for Uncle Sam it's good enough for me.

I've tried lots of things that worked over the years, including light bearing grease with broad temperature ranges. Once I found the Lubriplate 130-A I decided to stick with that. You can order from places like Midway and Brownells. I was lucky to find some locally at a mom and pop hardware store. In fact, Lubriplate 130-A is what Steve Ostrem is using in the Brownells Mini-14 lubrication video. (See link below)

https://youtu.be/6PgvMSh3E_U

I use Hoppes No. 9 lubricating oil for the areas requiring oil; the little bottle with the stainless steel syringe. I've used Rem Oil in the past. Either will do the job. Even 3-In-One oil will do in a pinch. I've got some Break Free CLP, but have not yet used it.

Gosh, I guess among other things I'm a collector of greases and oils.
2rangers, Bepe, tcsafety and 1 others like this.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:17   #34

Seems like a lot of grease. Do you really need that much grease?
Bepe and uscmarine like this.
PFerris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:21   #35

Originally Posted by PFerris View Post
Seems like a lot of grease. Do you really need that much grease?
No.

Everyone has their favorite lube. I use recycled 90wt gear oil. I took it out of some differentials and let it set for a few months to get the heavy stuff out of it and I use it to lube my Mini's. My lube oil has an odor to it but a new bottle of 90wt gear oil has next to no odor. In the winter time I cut it with RemOil to half the viscosity. Others use synthetic oil. ONce you Mini is well broken in you will need less oil to keep it running.

uscmarine, you rifle needs to go back to Ruger so they know what the issue is. Yes, it's a pain in the backside but you are really helping yourself and other folks who buy a Mini. This gives Ruger to evaluate the issue and try to fix it before the next rack goes out the door.

kwg
uscmarine likes this.
kwg020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 13:44   #36

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
No.

Everyone has their favorite lube. I use recycled 90wt gear oil. I took it out of some differentials and let it set for a few months to get the heavy stuff out of it and I use it to lube my Mini's. My lube oil has an odor to it but a new bottle of 90wt gear oil has next to no odor. In the winter time I cut it with RemOil to half the viscosity. Others use synthetic oil. ONce you Mini is well broken in you will need less oil to keep it running.

uscmarine, you rifle needs to go back to Ruger so they know what the issue is. Yes, it's a pain in the backside but you are really helping yourself and other folks who buy a Mini. This gives Ruger to evaluate the issue and try to fix it before the next rack goes out the door.

kwg
Definitely, it's already on the way back. I'll keep everyone posted on what Ruger says/does. I hope they make it right because I'm keep checking the resale value of mini14 and it doesn't look that good in Cali
kwg020, Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 01-22-2020, 15:22   #37

If you are referring to the Brownells video....the answer is no. He puts it on heavy, probably for video puposes.. I have a small painters brush I keep for grease application on my firearms. A light swipe with enough for a thin coat.

Bepe
YES, referring to the video. Thanks.
PFerris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 17:35   #38
Glass Half-Full Member

Grease and oil should be used very sparingly. A very thin film is what you want. In the Brownells video he removes excess grease with a Q-tip. It's pretty simple. The Mini-14/30 is a metal-on-metal mechanical device. It must be lubricated, but a little dab will do ya.

Here's another pretty decent video on lubricating the M14/M1A.

https://youtu.be/eSX2koEAYvQ

And remember gun writers can be very opinionated. Equally experienced and qualified professionals have different ways that work for them. There's a lot of right ways to properly lubricate. The important thing is that you find a way that works for you and stick with it as part of maintenance.

One thing I do differently than the Brownwells video is use a drop of light oil on the contact points for the hammer, and primary and secondary sears rather than grease. Gundoc uses grease on these contact points after a trigger job until the Mini is broken in. Then uses oil same as I do.

Another thing I do every once in a while is break down the bolt, spray the inside with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and put a couple drops of oil on the inside before reinserting the firing pin.

My pin is stainless, but the bolt itself in blued, so it could rust like any other metal. And again, the pin inside the bolt produces some serious metal-on-metal friction. Back in the day before I ever took the bolt apart I occasionally put a couple drops of light oil in the bolt from the rear without dismantling it.

Some would have a conniption at the thought of oiling the inside of the bolt. To each his own. It's worked for me all these years.
2rangers, jumpluff and tcsafety like this.
Old 01-22-2020, 18:18   #39

For those of us who live in the frozen north lands to much oil or grease in the winter time can cause some misfires. Keep that in mind as you lube your mistress, I mean rifle.

kwg
2rangers, jumpluff and Beck like this.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:02   #40

Don't give up, once Ruger gets it running you'll really like it. They are great little carbines.

I have an old 185 series and several ARs in different calibers. The ARs are practical "go-to" guns. The Mini is the most fun to shoot.

Since you're having to send it back again ask if they'll just replace the whole dang thing.
uscmarine likes this.
Bolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19   #41

Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
Don't give up, once Ruger gets it running you'll really like it. They are great little carbines.

I have an old 185 series and several ARs in different calibers. The ARs are practical "go-to" guns. The Mini is the most fun to shoot.

Since you're having to send it back again ask if they'll just replace the whole dang thing.

I won't give up yet! I bought this limited edition for $900 and put $300 on accu-strut and adjustable gas block and wood handguard. I'm gonna get my money worth out of Ruger.

I think the older 185 models had better quality control than my 584 even though it doesn't have tapered barrel and had accuracy issues.
Beck likes this.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:30   #42

I always use a thick globby heavy coating of grease...but I should say here that a "grease shower" is one of my secret turn ons!
Beck and Bepe like this.
Old 01-23-2020, 19:41   #43

My favorite spray on protectant. It has isoparrifins (petroleum based wax) that sticks to the metal surface and will repel water. This is an Amazon advertisement. I get mine at the Fleet and Farm store. I am not a fan of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon.../dp/B00KMMFE8Y
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...lube&FORM=IGRE
Old 01-24-2020, 00:27   #44
Glass Half-Full Member

As long as you use lube that stays in place and has a broad working temperature from well below zero to plus hundreds of degrees, you'll be set.

That's what the military looks for in firearm lubricants. You want to be functional in extreme low and high temperature environments. And like me, being a Midwesterner I have to deal with four seasons. It can get well below zero here in winter and in the 90s, occasionally over 100 degrees and humid in summer.

I want my firearms to be functional in extreme environments. There's a lot of good lubricants out there that fit the bill. Some of the best stuff you can buy in auto parts stores. The list is long of things that work and work well. Everyone has a favorite they swear by.

When I first owned firearms at age 10 I used 3-IN-ONE oil to clean and lubricate all my guns. I used a wooden dowel rod with old cut up T-shirts to clean my Remington Model 29 12 Gauge. It worked.

Since then I've become a lot more sophisticated about maintaining my firearms, but I could still get by maintaining my Remington 870 like I did that Model 29 in the old days if that's all I had.

Whatever you use the key is to keep it light... a thin coat of whatever it is.
jumpluff likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 00:31   #45
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
I always use a thick globby heavy coating of grease...but I should say here that a "grease shower" is one of my secret turn ons!
I've always used grapeseed oil on my significant others. They're putty in my hands...
jumpluff likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:49   #46

Ruger received the firearm today. The shipping took 5 days from LA, CA to NH. I'll keep you guys posted
Old 04-22-2020, 07:32   #47

Curious how the OP made out. I am experiencing the same issue with a 584 series I purchased early 2020. Inconsistent ejection. Ejector appears to be short and barely catches the rim on the case. I am waiting for a new ejector/bolt stop. Hoping that takes care of it. Not to thrilled with Ruger quality assurance at the moment. This shouldn’t be an issue with a rifle at this price.
Gray and SmilePlease like this.
bmur66 is offline   Reply With Quote