• 4 Post By Garandimal
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 2 Post By RJF
  • 1 Post By tri70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2019, 10:50   #1

10 Rd mags wanted

Hello from behind enemy lines in upstate NY, I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction for 10 Rd OEM factory mags for my Mini14. Thanks in advance 😎
TripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 13:13   #2
RJF

Triple, numerous places for Ruger factory mags. I would also include the CDNN OE 10-rounders, but they are rarely available.
https://www.gunclips.net/rumi14210prg.html
https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/3029...-magazine.html
https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod25086.aspx
https://www.opticsplanet.com/ruger-m...-10-round.html
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ruger-mi...lue-steel.html
https://www.gunclips.net/rumi14fagunm1.html

As you can see, the prices are pretty much absurd.

Check CDNN weekly for availability of their OE 10-round mags. They're good and less than half the price of other compatible mags. If you're in a rush, there are several places that offer Genuine Ruger 10-rounders - for a price...

Hope this helps. Love my OE mags...Jury is still out on the Masen 10-rounders (need some "tweaking")... No personal experience with the ProMags...
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 21:06   #3

CDNN

FACTORY MAGAZINE
RUGER® MINI-14® 10RD 223 MAGAZINE

Regular Price: $39.95
Special Sale: $28.99

Although, w/ the 11% Black Friday code and free shipping?

Optics Planet is probably the way to go.

All I use.

GR
Bepe likes this.
Garandimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2019, 09:52   #4
RJF

Garandimal:
With Virginia looking to go full-blown commie/CA/NY/NJ/MD, I went ahead and ordered a new stock Ruger Ranch, with none of the "evil" features. So I'll be starting from scratch. Started investing in some 5-10 rounders, so I'm good.

Will have renewed interest, should most (if not all) of my present Mini-14s be deemed "assault rifles" and therefor a Class-6 Felony in Virginia for possession. A battle Royale!

CDNN has OE 10-rounders available as of today, and OE cranks out some quality mags (have six 10-rounders and several 20-rounders). May not even need to swap out the OE followers with Ruger ones...
https://www.cdnnsports.com/mini-14-2....html?___SID=U
$12.99

Last edited by RJF; 12-01-2019 at 09:05.
Old 11-30-2019, 19:20   #5

Sportsmans Guide has Ruger 10 rd mags, $40 each.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1723103
Old 12-01-2019, 11:19   #6

I had good luck with the Promag 10 rd steel mags. However, before I even used them I took them apart and cleaned them up and deburred the followers and lightly stoned the feed lips.

I'm not sure how many rounds I put thru them but they were reliable as any Ruger mag I own and about half the price.

I have read here and elsewhere that others didn't have the same luck I did but I don't think they took the time to do some preliminary clean ups.

I'm sorta anal like that though.
Russ P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 20:58   #7

Originally Posted by Russ P View Post
I had good luck with the Promag 10 rd steel mags. However, before I even used them I took them apart and cleaned them up and deburred the followers and lightly stoned the feed lips.

I'm not sure how many rounds I put thru them but they were reliable as any Ruger mag I own and about half the price.

I have read here and elsewhere that others didn't have the same luck I did but I don't think they took the time to do some preliminary clean ups.

I'm sorta anal like that though.
I bought 2 Promag 20 rounders like 10 years ago. They are great magazines. Over the years I had heard about Promags not feeding well. I decided to get one and try it out thinking that if I liked them I'd get more. My new mag was a jam-o-matic. It just wouldn't feed well. It was obvious the Promag folks stuck a cheaper follower in it. I did switch out the follower and had to move the feed lips a small amount and I got it to work.

For a few cents more they could of had a great magazine and instead they chose to go cheap. So, if you get a Promag, plan on changing out the followers and maybe messing with the feed lips a bit to get them to work right.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:50   #8

I always check ebay first, you can have a factory original for $33 shipped.
Bolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 16:25   #9

Both CDNN and OpticsPlanet have the Ruger OEM 10-round for less than $30, +/- shipping.

Can't see needing more than four or five, so at that price, there should be no lookin' back.

Good reliable mags make the rifle work when you need it to.

For a range toy, it doesn't really make all that much difference.

But my Mini-14 is in the critical weapons queue, so it is locked/loaded/on demand, as are three extra mags.

GR
Garandimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:20   #10
large member

midway, right now. $27.49. original factory. not a killer price, but if you need em?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1366165411
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 22:06   #11

Many thank guys, I knew I could count on you to deliver. Ordering tomorrow AM.
TripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 13:25   #12
RJF

Check OE mags at CDNN. Less than half the price of genuine Rugers, better quality.
tcsafety likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 17:38   #13
large member

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Check OE mags at CDNN. Less than half the price of genuine Rugers, better quality.
i've heard they're good, but.....

almost everyone says they need tweaking to be their best.

ruger mags 100% for me. buy once, cry once?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:18   #14
RJF

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i've heard they're good, but.....

almost everyone says they need tweaking to be their best.

ruger mags 100% for me. buy once, cry once?
Hawk, no crying from me. The cost of the OE 20-rounders, plus S/H, and the cost of Ruger followers, plus S/H is far less expensive than a genuine Rug 20-rounder, and with far better quality. 100% function, and no more work necessary that disassembling a Ruger mag to remove the gunk. That is the only "fiddling" I've done. I could probably "fiddle" more with the OE followers, but it wasn't worth my time.

I have had to "modify" genuine Ruger mags to make them even work in my Minis: Malletizing the spot welds so that the mags would even seat. Replacing followers is far easier...and they look and function greatly...

But "to each their own"...
hawkguy likes this.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:34   #15
large member

your experience with them trumps my zero experience with them! i'll definitely take your word for it.

i need to pick one up myself and give them a try. if they are equal or better in comparison to ruger factory mags, that is some legit savings.

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Hawk, no crying from me. The cost of the OE 20-rounders, plus S/H, and the cost of Ruger followers, plus S/H is far less expensive than a genuine Rug 20-rounder, and with far better quality. 100% function, and no more work necessary that disassembling a Ruger mag to remove the gunk. That is the only "fiddling" I've done. I could probably "fiddle" more with the OE followers, but it wasn't worth my time.

I have had to "modify" genuine Ruger mags to make them even work in my Minis: Malletizing the spot welds so that the mags would even seat. Replacing followers is far easier...and they look and function greatly...

But "to each their own"...
Old 12-05-2019, 12:55   #16
RJF

Hawk, some pics:
OE versus Ruger 20-round followers (OE followers are green).
OE mags versus Ruger Mags - 20-rounders (Ruger mag at top).

The wrinkles on the Ruger mags were such that I had to "malletize" them to get them to lock.
Attached Thumbnails
10 Rd mags wanted-oe-vs-ruger-follower.jpg   10 Rd mags wanted-oe-versus-ruger-20-round-mag.jpg  
Gray and tcsafety like this.
Old 12-05-2019, 14:52   #17

My son in law and I have 197 Mini 14s I have Ruger 5rd and five-ten round magazines three different brands and one Pro mag 20 round. My son in law has a plastic forty round magazine that's supposed to be for ARs and Mini 14s all of them work great in our 197 Mini 14s. On all the off-brand 10 rd magazines I had to file the front of the magazines because of the case mouths slightly bumping the front of the magazines. My most accurate magazine is a pro mag. On the other hand, I tried some of my aftermarket magazines in other Mini 14s and they did not work good at all just kept jamming.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:55   #18

Filing down the front of the mag has not had too much attention from the board. I wonder if all aftermarket problem mags wouldn’t benefit from that before tossing?
51colt likes this.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:05   #19

On the subject of 10 rd mini mags, I got a few ProMag 10
rd mags last year. $16ish blued, each, from Midway,
-- fit/function is perfect with one
exception, they only hold 9 rnds loaded with a closed bolt..can
load 10 on a open bolt..
That's all I use now..MM
mini-mizer is offline   Reply With Quote