Scope mounts (Redfield) on the top eject Mini - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 07:15   #1

Scope mounts (Redfield) on the early TOP EJECT Mini models

If refusing to install one of those massive metal side scope mounts for an earlier model TOP EJECT Mini, what about the one piece base Redfield JR R14 one piece mount for Mini 14? Those still show up on ebay. Requires three drilled/tapped holes in the top of the receiver.

Won't the ejected brass hit the base or the scope bottom?

If the brass being ejected strikes the base or scope while still being pushed by the ejector, do we have a good recipe for a broken ejector? Or a knackering of the ejector or the ejector hole in the bolt?

Last edited by tacotime; 07-31-2019 at 08:13.
tacotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:22   #2
large member

i had a redfield revolution 2-7 mounted on a mini at one time. relatively compact scope that fit it very well imo. anything bigger just wrecks the handiness of the mini (my opinion only).

i used warne QD rings for the mini. top notch & returned very close to zero everytime i removed them for cleaning. scout set up or QD rings are the way to go with the mini (again, my opinion). if you have a new mini that is drilled and tapped for the factory rail, that set up works well also.

i either didn't notice ejecting brass hitting the scope, or it wasn't....either way it wasn't issue for me.

good luck!
nickelplate and tcsafety like this.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:03   #3
RJF

Taco, I opted for a side-mount P-Rail by UTG from Amazon for my 181. I didn't want to make any permanent mods to my beloved 181. After some challenges, I learned that Blue Loctite is your very good friend for all the screws for the mount, otherwise it will work loose. It is aluminum, light weight, helps the brass clear it or a scope 95% of the time, and you can still use the irons with a scope (or red-dot) mounted. A small scope on it does make it a bit top-heavy, so right now I have no optic mounted on it. The pic below is with a TRS-25 mounted. Brass clears it. Difference between using an optic or irons is just shifting from a chin- to a cheek- weld. BTW, the barrel strut was my toying with modifying an Accustrut to fit my GB. In the end, accuracy was good enough without it, so I took it off. Didn't want to loose bayonet mounting functionality...
Attached Thumbnails
Scope mounts (Redfield) on the top eject Mini-gb-wood.jpg  
Beck and tcsafety like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2019, 14:24   #4
large member

oops plz disregard post....didn't read thoroughly before replying.

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i had a redfield revolution 2-7 mounted on a mini at one time. relatively compact scope that fit it very well imo. anything bigger just wrecks the handiness of the mini (my opinion only).

i used warne QD rings for the mini. top notch & returned very close to zero everytime i removed them for cleaning. scout set up or QD rings are the way to go with the mini (again, my opinion). if you have a new mini that is drilled and tapped for the factory rail, that set up works well also.

i either didn't notice ejecting brass hitting the scope, or it wasn't....either way it wasn't issue for me.

good luck!
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 17:28   #5

I had a side mount B-Square for my 196 standard mini that ejected out the top. I put electrical tape on the bottom of the scope, you can add black foam for more padding. Also guys here recommended turning the scope 90 degrees to keep brass from hitting the turrets. Several guys use a forward rail like Amegaranges rail and use a dot scope.
Old 07-31-2019, 18:28   #6

I have a top mount S&K on a 181 Mini. I did turn the scope sideways and the brass seems to clear the scope without hitting it. Keep in mind I have only fired around 75 rounds through this Mini with this mount.

kwg
Attached Thumbnails
Scope mounts (Redfield) on the top eject Mini-imgp2947.jpg  
Beck likes this.
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:40   #7

Why have any scope in the way of ejecting brass on a top ejecting Mini ?
Or even a side eject one for that matter ?

Put the scope out front on an Ultimak. Not only will it be mounted low and not jacked up, you get accuracy benefits, better peripheral vision, and no scope interference with the rear sight or bolt removal.
A forward mounted scope is nice on newer side eject Mini's, and for the older 181's is the only way to go.

SAN14, RJF and Beck like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:29   #8

Well I can see the benefit, although the one time I held a forward scoped gun, it just seemed like the handling balance was awkward... and really I am not much of a scope fan for a Mini to begin with, but the Redfield base is available and I figured it was a way to really proof out the accuracy (or not) of an early rifle.

Now that I think of it, there are a lot of those Redfield JR R14 one piece bases out there (marked for Mini 14), and so I have to assume Redfield tested these out fairly well and found them to be functional on the Mini. Just wondering if anyone found these to be a problem. Not so much worried about striking the base or even the scope, but the possible damage to the ejector.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:21   #9

I don’t find balance or handling to be detrimental at all, I just don’t like the extra weight of a scope.
The weight of the scope out front counters the weight of the receiver and loaded mag nicely.

And your 5.56mm 181 has an even skinnier lighter barrel than my Mini-30’s, so it could stand some weight out front.

Sorry, mounting a scope over the action of a Mini, any Mini, or a Garand or M-14 for that matter, seems like a half assed solution.
Kinda like mounting a scope over a Model 94 or 1892 Winchester.
Beck likes this.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:10   #10

I prefer the peep sight myself. Had a scope on later Mini at one time and could not stand the way it looked, and went back to ghost ring. The rifle was only for walk-around varminting at close and mid-ranges anyway. On a good day I can manage 3 inches or so at 100 using the ring (while the eyesight holds out).
jumpluff likes this.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:35   #11

I end up putting peeps on all my lever guns, and of course the Mini’s have them (Tech sight).
But the Tech is only back up to the Fastfire red dot

The dot is much superior to any peep. Faster to acquire ( provided you have it mounted low like it should be), and way, way better in low light or nighttime.

I can do as well as a scope at 100, and still hold a 5 or 6 inch group at 300 by centering the dot inside a larger ring on a paper target, or with the top of the dot just touching each shoulder on a silhouette.

I try to talk people out of putiing a scope on a Mini and try a dot instead, but usually they are determined to slap a scope on there.
Bepe and tcsafety like this.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:41   #12

Is that dot mounted on the Ruger supplied rail or how? Is it a 1x magnification? Been considering a dot actually.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:35   #13

You could certainly mount the dot on the Ruger rail.
But your 181 isn’t tapped for a Ruger rail is it ?

A Mini has some drop to the stock because of the low irons.
I almost have to scrunch my head down slightly to see the irons they are so low.
Mounting a dot over the action gives the same problem that mounting a scope over the action does, it ends up being too high.

It is unnatural to shoulder the Mini then have to scoot your head up slightly to see the dot, plus it costs you some time.

Much better to mount the Mini, and be looking right thru the center of the optic to see the dot, without the need to strap on a cheek pad to the stock.

Once again, mounting a dot out on the Ultimak puts it at just the right height.
Plus vastly increased peripheral vision, no problems with rear sight interference, bolt removal and the rail acts like a strut to stiffen the barrel and dissipate heat.

You’ll not have any feelings of the dot weighing down the front of your Mini as the Fastfire (and others like Vortex micro dots) weigh less than one ounce.

I’m at work and can’t add pics on my phone, but you shouldn’t have any problem finding pics here of my Fastfire/Ultimak set ups, as I’ve posted them here a few hundred times.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59   #14
RJF

Taco, the UltiMak folks make a rail/hand-guard replacement for the 181-series Mini. I failed to mention that as I was focused on my personal set-up. If you are good with a red-dot, an UltiMak with either a 'dot or a scout scope is far preferable to that funky side-mounted mount I have; something you can do yourself. I'm happy with the irons, with the occasional mounting of a 'dot or small scope should I feel the need (unlikely).

In a more perfect world, I would recommend the UltiMak for your 181 and planting a 'dot on it, much like Sandog's set-up.
Beck likes this.

Last edited by RJF; 08-01-2019 at 15:46.
Old 08-01-2019, 13:14   #15

I have a side mount. It does work but I just could not like it. It was too bulky. I got it just before the Ultimak rails made their public début.

kwg
Beck likes this.
Old 08-01-2019, 15:50   #16
RJF

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
I have a side mount. It does work but I just could not like it. It was too bulky. I got it just before the Ultimak rails made their public début.

kwg
Mine is bulky only if I have an optic on it. Currently no optics, but the mount is on with zero problems. Somewhat nice to know I could mount one quickly should I feel the need or change my mind as to how I want to use it. Have other firearm options for longer-range non-iron-sight needs/desires.

But some days you just feel like a nut, some days you don't...
Old 08-05-2019, 07:41   #17

Thanks for the info.

For those wanting a scope on the older Mini models, it does appear the Redfield JR R14 works and is solid, but it requires 3 holes to be drilled and tapped into the top of the receiver. Apparently the ejected cases do not strike the scope bottom.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:00   #18

Drilling and tapping sounds like more than most would want to do.
Unless you are set up to D&T yourself, the amount you are going to pay a gunsmith would go a long way towards paying for an Ultimak.

So how does the Redfield mount keep your brass from hitting the scope when the 181 like you were discussing launches the brass straight up ?
Old 08-05-2019, 09:09   #19

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Drilling and tapping sounds like more than most would want to do.
Unless you are set up to D&T yourself, the amount you are going to pay a gunsmith would go a long way towards paying for an Ultimak.

So how does the Redfield mount keep your brass from hitting the scope when the 181 like you were discussing launches the brass straight up ?

The side mount covers the underside of the scope and deflects the brass away from the scope.

kwg
Old 08-05-2019, 10:08   #20

I think having nothing in the way that could deflect brass back into your action is a much better option.
Why do people settle for half assed solutions when they could just mount the scope away from the action and ejecting brass ?
Not to mention not having your brass all dinged up from hitting the “deflector”, and the scope being unnecessarily high ?
kwg020 and Beck like this.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:21   #21

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I think having nothing in the way that could deflect brass back into your action is a much better option.
Why do people settle for half assed solutions when they could just mount the scope away from the action and ejecting brass ?
Not to mention not having your brass all dinged up from hitting the “deflector”, and the scope being unnecessarily high ?

Agree. Spend a little extra and get a better design.

kwg
Old 08-05-2019, 19:11   #22
Glass Half-Full Member

The Mini is perfect for a scout scope. I've used them sine 1991 on my Mini-30. In my experience the balance is better with some forward weight, and target acquisition is lightning fast. I have quick release rings, so I can switch to irons in a heartbeat. It's the best of both worlds.

I never had problems with brass hitting a conventional scope mounted over the receiver, and I prefer that for the bleeding edge of long range the Mini-30 is capable of. And again I use quick release Ruger rings made by Warne for conventional scopes as well. I haven't mounted a conventional scope over the receiver for many years, but it's nice to know I can.

So I can use any configuration... forward scout, conventional, or irons.

For older Minis (Non-Ranch) Something like the Ultimak with a scout scope is just plain smart. And you can mount all sorts of optics on it... red dots... whatever. By the way I don't use an Ultimak rail but I sure think they are cool. My use of scout scopes precedes the availability of the Ultimak and similar rails by a couple decades

My scout scopes are both vintage Burris from the 90s... a 1.5x and a 2.75X. Both weigh a mere 8 oz each.

I like the plain non-scoped look of a Mini too. All I have to do is quick release the scope and I've got it... just like "That!" It's some kind of magic.
RJF likes this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 17:48   #23

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
I have a top mount S&K on a 181 Mini. I did turn the scope sideways and the brass seems to clear the scope without hitting it. Keep in mind I have only fired around 75 rounds through this Mini with this mount.

kwg
My comment isn't about scope rings but I had to notice that in your photo it looks like your bipod is perhaps on backward as in loading and folding aft ?
nickelplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 20:41   #24

Originally Posted by nickelplate View Post
My comment isn't about scope rings but I had to notice that in your photo it looks like your bipod is perhaps on backward as in loading and folding aft ?

Yes, it is backward. There is room for it to fold backward along the side of the stock. It's just the way I prefer it.

kwg
RJF and tcsafety like this.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04   #25

To update the original topic, cases fired in the 181 Mini with the Redfield R14 installed do not show any marks or dents and neither does the scope bottom.

I don't have the rifle bolt/ejector to look at but I suspect these early rifles are not truly top eject, but come out at a slight angle, enough to clear this particular base.
RJF likes this.