Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By curt mini14
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 2 Post By tacotime
  • 4 Post By Beck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 13:20   #1

Bullet jackets in the steel case ammo

Does anyone know if any of the usual steel case Russian 7.62x39 ammo uses a copper jacket comparable to the ordinary copper jackets on the typical WIN, REM or FED brands of US ammo?

Last edited by tacotime; 07-29-2019 at 07:17.
tacotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:32   #2

why should anyone want to convince you of anything.seems you made up your mind allready.you know reading is fundamental you need to read the countless threads from way back and learn maybe!if your so worried about bore wear then why mention fire lapping.do you work for ammoland how many times can you beat this horse really.
40nascar likes this.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:18   #3

Up to top...

Old 07-29-2019, 09:12   #4

I'm surprised Sandog hasn't weighed in. He has done a lot of research on the Mini 30 and the ammo it shoots.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:17   #5
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by tacotime View Post
Does anyone know if any of the usual steel case Russian 7.62x39 ammo uses a copper jacket comparable to the ordinary copper jackets on the typical WIN, REM or FED brands of US ammo?
No, even some of the older S&B has copper coated steel jackets. If in doubt, pull out a magnet and use it. And I agree with other posters here. You have been here long enough to graduate from the newbie questions.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:08   #6

Ok, allright... I never even considered steel case until now, hence the question. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:45   #7

Haven’t been on any of the forums much as my laptop has been having internet connection issues.
Tacotime, if you’re that worried about steel case, just don’t use any of it.

Only you can decide if you want to shoot it out of your Mini or not.
I think enough people have weighed in that it hasn’t hurt their Mini, and some have been shooting it for decades.

Thanks though, for starting new threads, this forum has been getting stagnant at times.
tcsafety likes this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 15:18   #8

Thanks for the word. Not really all that worried about steel, just that I never really considered it before because I was never a "Mag Dumper" and did my own reloading and just didn't shoot the volume. More the 6 careful shots per session kind of guy.

But I came from meager means and I take a firearm as a valuable possession I intend to take care of, so I needed info... a thing I really hate is screwing up a valuable piece of any equipment for being to lazy to think through what I was doing and ask questions first!

It's all part of the firearm journey, so much to know, and an excellent hobby.
sandog and tcsafety like this.
Old 07-30-2019, 19:58   #9
Glass Half-Full Member

Originally Posted by tacotime View Post
Even Tula has a line called "Range Friendly" 7.62x39 that has brass jacket (not copper) over lead core bullet, loaded into their regular Burden primed steel cases. Cartridge brass is another common metal for jackets.

The box is clearly marked. "Range Friendly" It's not the stuff you typically find at Walmart. Take note that they don't advertise it as "Barrel Friendly." If they tried that angle they'd be called on it by the industry.

It's made specifically for people who fire at ranges that won't allow steel jacket/steel core on the range. If your ammo attracts a magnet you cant bring it in. That all started when steel core was more prevalent. Steel core ammo will tear up range backstops. Since the only way to tell that a bullet in not steel core and only steel jacketed is to saw the bullet in two, it's too much work. So if your bullet attracts a magnet you can't shoot it at certain gun ranges.

Legitimate US manufacturers such as Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc. Don't pitch their copper jacketed bullets as being "Barrel friendly" either. You won't find that anywhere. If they could they would. All these manufacturers have at one time or another been involved in producing bimetal jacketed 7.62 NATO with Lake City for the military.

Another early source of steel case/copper jacketed bullet was China North Industries/Norinco in the silver box. What I have left was made circa 1990 at State Factory 71. The bullet will not attract a magnet. I bought a case of 1000 rounds in the early 90s when Bill Clinton was talking gun bans and ammo restrictions.

I have 660 rounds (33 boxes) left. I could sell it for a profit. It sells for more than what I'm buying from Russia. Not because it's better, but because it's considered rare... hard to find.

Same with the latest Norinco Red Box, imported by ChinaSports in Ontario, Canada. I have a few boxes of that. It's steel case and the bullet doesn't attract a magnet.

The United States hasn't been able to import new small arms and ammo from China since 1994. It all started with confusion over bimetal bullets vs. steel core bullets, and thus questions of "Armor Piercing."

Steel core bullets were outlawed. But because most Americans are simpletons... a product of our failed public school system, they couldn't differentiate between steel jacket and steel core.

The Canadians, on the other hand, were able to understand these subtle differences. But just to be on the safe side, China began exporting only steel case with lead core, copper or brass jacketed bullets to the Americas. Non-magnetic.

China probably thought that when America sees Canada is still allowed to import Norinco that Americans might wonder why and ask to see the bullet one more time, and then ask for a do-over.

After all, we can't have Canada being more the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave than the United States, can we? But it's too late now. Kaepernick takes a knee and people cheer. We're living in a whole 'nother country... a new age of stupid.
Attached Thumbnails
Bullet jackets in the steel case ammo-tulammo-range-friendly.jpg  
kwg020, 40nascar, sandog and 1 others like this.
John 15:13

Last edited by Beck; 07-31-2019 at 05:19.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote