Accurizing Accuracy Systems Stabalizer - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By lcg
  • 4 Post By hoagie90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 17:28   #1

Accuracy Systems Stabalizer

So I just recently sold my Accu-Strut in preparation to purchase an Accuracy Systems Harmonic Barrel Stabilizer. The only thing is I am torn between the Adjustable and Non-adjustable gas block. Anyone here have any hands on experience with either of them? Is the Adjustable version worth it, are there any issues that have arisen by using them?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
hoagie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 19:45   #2
lcg
Registered Member

I opted for the adjustable gas block version a couple years ago and in that time I have not had any issues with it. It was easy to install and set. Not much I can say other than it does it job well.
hoagie90 likes this.
lcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06   #3

looks like it fills the niche for those who want an adjustable gas block and a barrel strut. What model Mini do you have?
My 583 has the Gen4 AGB, quick setting adjustable knurl knob with positive locking audible clicks which I find handy as I know what the ejection should be at various click counts which I can change in seconds however it won't currently accept any brand of barrel strut.
I have only seen photos and the write up on the adjustable Gen5 that you're looking at and it doesn't appear to have the same setup as my Gen4 in that it incorporates a set screw system to lock and hold it in place. That might be a bit cumbersome having to use a tool to change gas adjustment levels.
If your truly set on wanting a barrel strut the Gen5 is for you but if you can do without it, definitely go the Gen4 route.
nickelplate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 13:57   #4

Originally Posted by nickelplate View Post
looks like it fills the niche for those who want an adjustable gas block and a barrel strut. What model Mini do you have?

My 583 has the Gen4 AGB, quick setting adjustable knurl knob with positive locking audible clicks which I find handy as I know what the ejection should be at various click counts which I can change in seconds however it won't currently accept any brand of barrel strut.

I have only seen photos and the write up on the adjustable Gen5 that you're looking at and it doesn't appear to have the same setup as my Gen4 in that it incorporates a set screw system to lock and hold it in place. That might be a bit cumbersome having to use a tool to change gas adjustment levels.

If your truly set on wanting a barrel strut the Gen5 is for you but if you can do without it, definitely go the Gen4 route.
I have a 583 Thirty, although it is the thicker, tapered barrel, I have the 18" barrel. I have been leaning towards the adjustable stabilizer due to discussions I have seen about flying casings and I'm concerned about barrel whip due to the length.

I'm not expecting this thing to be the most accurate rifle on the planet, but I'm going to do what I can to make it handy. I'm looking for my Mini to be my Everything rifle.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:58   #5
Banned

I had a fairly recent Mini-14 for a year or so, and I spent quite a few buckeroos over what I paid for it new to "accurize" it. I could never get any better than 2-1/2" to 3" groups at 100 yards, and I didn't feel like spending any more hundreds of dollars on gimmicks and gadgets. So I sold it.

I think Ruger could have made some significant improvements to the design and manufacture over the last few years without losing the good looks and likability of the rifle without really changing its appearance, and emerge with a 1" at 100 yards rifle.

I still like the Mini-14, but unless Ruger improves its accuracy without having to spend $500+ on trigger jobs, braces, barrel extensions, gas blocks, et cetera, what's the point?
LousyShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:22   #6

Originally Posted by LousyShot View Post
I had a fairly recent Mini-14 for a year or so, and I spent quite a few buckeroos over what I paid for it new to "accurize" it. I could never get any better than 2-1/2" to 3" groups at 100 yards, and I didn't feel like spending any more hundreds of dollars on gimmicks and gadgets. So I sold it.

I think Ruger could have made some significant improvements to the design and manufacture over the last few years without losing the good looks and likability of the rifle without really changing its appearance, and emerge with a 1" at 100 yards rifle.

I still like the Mini-14, but unless Ruger improves its accuracy without having to spend $500+ on trigger jobs, braces, barrel extensions, gas blocks, et cetera, what's the point?
Let's be honest, 2-1/2" to 3" groups at 100 yards shouldn't be all that bad considering how loosely the action is designed. This is of course not THE most accurate rifle. But I also don't have to anymore than basically wipe it down after it's been fired. I don't have to make sure some star chamber is immaculate so that my bolt will actually chamber a round and lock.

3" at 100 yards is still a body shot. Remember, aim small, miss small.

The ridiculous arguments I hear MOA these days is astounding. Too many people are more worried about their groupings on paper targets through controlled drills rather than wether they can hit the target at all. Or whether their firearm will actually function through sustained fire during uncomfortable conditions.

People spend the same amount of money tricking their AR-15s out with all the goodies that most of us Mini users spend on ours. So I'm not quite sure where that argument ever came from.