• 2 Post By GAMEOVER
  • 2 Post By Gearhead Jim
  • 1 Post By tri70
  • 2 Post By RCE1
  • 1 Post By Gearhead Jim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 19:14   #1

Knobs for Mini-14 Scope Mounts?

I use the factory scope mounts on my 580, and like them.
However, I use low strength (222, purple) Loctite to keep them from loosening, and so I need a big screwdriver to loosen the nuts for removal and then to re-install.

Is there any way to put a knob on the slotted end that would not be too bulky but would allow me to remove and re-install the mount without tools?

BTW, I use the mild Loctite only on the threads, not on the two "claws" that clamp onto the receiver. I'm hoping that if the scope remained fixed in the mount, one could remove and re-install the mount/scope combo and be pretty close to zero. True?
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 16:03   #2
Glass Half-Full Member

I've swapped knobs between rings in the past, but not Ruger factory rings per se. The proprietary Ruger mount/ring system is one of the best for holding zero when removing and remounting. Ruger designed it as such.

Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Warne Quick Detach rings made for the Ruger mounts. I have the 1-inch Medium QD, Item # 1RLM. Warne makes several model rings for the Ruger mounts, both 1-inch and 30 MM in different heights, both quick detach and conventional. I doubt you'll need loctite for Warne QD rings. They are worth the investment.

The link below does not have the lowest prices, but it will give you a good idea of the options available. Once you identify the type you need, search the web by the Warne model number. The 1-inch rings I have are $20.00 cheaper elsewhere.

Cheers!

https://www.sportoptics.com/warne-ru...yle-rings.aspx
GAMEOVER and Turkeestalker like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 19:29   #3

Aside from the tool-less removal and installation, do the Warne QD rings have any other advantages over the Ruger rings?

Old 07-09-2019, 20:54   #4
Glass Half-Full Member

Warne rings are very well made. Ruger makes good rings. IMO the Warne are equal to or better. Both will last a lifetime.

The biggest advantage of the Warne quick-detachable is being able to mount and remove the scope without tools. No Loctite needed either. Most of all being able to dump the optic in a hurry should your scope get damaged and you need to use the iron sights.

Ruger's proprietary Scope mount system is made to return to Zero, and if anything Warne rings enhance that capability. Warne guaranties their rings will return the scope to zero no matter how many times you you remove and remount the scope.

Another nice feature of the Warne rings is you can put the lever on ether the right or left side, which of course you can't do with Ruger factory rings.

Once tightened, you can also position the quick-detach lever at any angle by pulling out on the lever and turning it to the desired position (forward, back, up, down, and anywhere in between)

I wouldn't use any other type but quick detach rings for the Minis proprietary Integral mounts. Alaska Arms also makes QD rings for Ruger mounts at nearly twice the street price of the Warnes. Those are nice too but, but I prefer the design of the Warnes.
tcsafety likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:57   #5
Suck it Leftists!

Most info I’ve seen recommends 25 in-lbs for the ring base screws. I doubt you can achieve that using a hand tightened only knurled knob. I would go with the Warne QD rings also.
Beck and tcsafety like this.
Old 07-10-2019, 21:08   #6
Glass Half-Full Member

Warne also sells a nifty 25 in-lb torque driver made for them by California Torque Products. Makes setting things up a breeze.

https://warnescopemounts.com/product...torque-wrench/

Attached Thumbnails
Knobs for Mini-14 Scope Mounts?-wsmtw1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:19   #7

Lots of good info, thanks.

The Ruger rings seem to have the advantage of being stainless, and the "clamp" junction is on the sides instead of on top like Warne.

Warne don't need tools to remove & reinstall, slightly more snag-free..

Decisions, decisions...
Beck and tcsafety like this.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:54   #8

Would a knurled knob work?

https://www.mcmaster.com/knurled-knobs
Beck likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 17:12   #9

What I've found with the Ruger rings is that they really need to be retightened after firing the rifles a bit. They can feel tight initially but once they've been subjected to some recoil, they seat a little deeper and need a bit more torque. I've not had that issue with the Warne rings.
40nascar and Beck like this.
RCE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 18:22   #10

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Would a knurled knob work?

https://www.mcmaster.com/knurled-knobs

Although I asked about something similar for my Ruger rings, I'm now skeptical that knobs would provide enough grip. I always use low strength Loctite (222) on any gun screws that would cause a problem if they come loose, and it takes a good twist on the ratcheting handle of my Chapman set to remove the Mini-14 rings.

I'll just have to decide which system (Ruger or Warne) I want to stick with.
Beck likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 23:46   #11
Glass Half-Full Member

The Weaver brand rings for my scout rail have big knurled knobs... big enough to be quick release. It's just another way of doing it other than having a lever. The knobs are about .680" in diameter. Plenty for a good grip to get them off fast. But they also have a wide slot for a screw driver... wide enough to put any size coin from a penny to a quarter. So I keep a quarter in my pocket when I'm at the range or out in the field. That's a lot of leverage. Makes them easy to remove quickly. So although they have a knob rather than a lever they are technically quick release.

I may end up buying a set of Warne QD rings for my Picatinny scout rail as well, but in no hurry. Th Weaver rings I have work very well.

I actually prefer rings to be horizontally split by a smidge, but the quality of the Warne rings won me over to a vertically split design in some cases.

Warne talks about the differences in the link below.

https://warnescopemounts.com/why-vertically-split/

Other than that, I think the vertically split design is advantageous for QD rings with a lever on the side. As you can see from the attached photo below, the vertical split design allows the QD levers to be longer and closer for better leverage and less likelihood of the levers getting snagged on clothes, underbrush, etc.

Attached Thumbnails
Knobs for Mini-14 Scope Mounts?-warne1.jpg  

Last edited by Beck; 07-14-2019 at 06:35.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:43   #12

You could buy longer knurled bolts with the knurled nuts, may need a lock washer to go with it.