Wood stock surgery: QD attaching a Harris bipod to a Ranch rifle - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By nickelplate
  • 1 Post By Mr.T.
  • 1 Post By RJF
  • 2 Post By RJF
  • 4 Post By RJF
  • 3 Post By Mr.T.
  • 1 Post By tcsafety
  • 5 Post By nickelplate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 17:21   #1

*WRITE UP* Photos to follow-Attaching a Harris bipod to a Ranch rifle

The rifle: Ruger Mini-14 Ranch 583 wood stock
The bipod: Harris Engineering series "S" model "L", 9" to 13" purchased as an HBLS COMBO.
The Harris line has all sorts of attachment adapters to work with. 1913 picatinny, M-Lock or KeyMod rails but they all come down to using one swivel stud either at the start or the end of the bipod attachment.
Reading from the supplied Harris literature, "The wood should have a thickness of at least 1/2" in the area of the stud attachment to keep the stud from pulling out". I measured the Mini's wood fore end thickness at 5/16", just a little more than half that was recommended so a single swivel stud in my stock wasn't going to meet the thickness criteria so I epoxy bedded in two Grovtec 10-32 brass inserts spaced for a Magpul 7 slot polymer picatinny rail.
After drilling the first pilot hole I used a forstner 1/4" drill bit for the finish cut for the brass insert and also used a bevel bit on the inside of the stock to create a "puddle pool" basin for the epoxy to fill in for extra grip like a tee nut would do. After the first insert was epoxied, a final measurement was taken to help insure proper alignment fore and aft and distance between the two screws.
The two 10-32 stainless steel round head screws and the brass inserts had to be trimmed to length as not to interfere with the underneath of the rifle's metal forearm liner and stock cap assembly. This step is very important as this piece acts as a guide for the slide assembly to the gas pipe.
The bipod comes with an aft attached sling stud for a sling but I used the stud on the bottom of my ASI adjustable gas block-works just fine for the 1-1/4" leather sling with clearance between the bipod legs when in the folded position and I don't have to adjust the length or reattach it if the bipod is removed from the rifle.
I want to thank our member RJF for volunteering to post up the photos, they should be along soon.
tri70, tcsafety and Mr.T. like this.

Last edited by nickelplate; 07-05-2019 at 10:09. Reason: write up finally
nickelplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:54   #2

Go Advanced and look for the paper clip at the top of the page. Then brows your picture and click on the one you want. I just grabbed one off of my desk top.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood stock surgery: QD attaching a Harris bipod to a Ranch rifle-imgp7993.jpg  
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:56   #3

You can also upload them to a free image hosting site like: https://imgbb.com/

And then get the direct link to the image file and paste that into the popup here on the forum when you click on the little image button thing.
tcsafety likes this.

No Step On Snek!
Mr.T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2019, 10:47   #4
RJF

Nickel, it might be the file-size of your photos, not necessarily the number of pixels (800X600). Some photos can be uuuge!

What I usually do is pull up the picture with something like photo-viewer, use the Windows "Snipping Tool" (standard accessory with Win7) program to select what portions of the picture you are interested in, and then save as another file. The file-size is most often much smaller but perfectly fine. Never had one of those that doesn't upload.

Just a thought...

BTW, I did a QD mount for my wood-stocked Mini. Used a T-Nut, filed along the sides as the base reinforcement, then mounted a short P-rail and sling mount. The sling-mount can be removed and re-installed to support a bipod. Works well!
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 16:43   #5

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
Go Advanced and look for the paper clip at the top of the page. Then brows your picture and click on the one you want. I just grabbed one off of my desk top.
Thanks for responding but either advanced or regular, the paperclip is also dead.
I've posted my write up with the four photos on a popular California gun enthusiast website that runs the exact same server, vBulletin, (1607 posts as "nickel plate") with no issues whatsoever so where to go now? I have the copy ready printout from that website ready to type in here, can I get a helping hand PM from a Shooting Sports Forum member willing to commute the photos to this thread?
RJF, average file size is 73.4 KB, shouldn't be an issue here-thanks for your support.
Mr.T. Your suggestion scares me! Too late to teach an old dog a new trick-I do believe my personal connection here is photo corrupt and no amount of internet back roads will help. Thanks for your concern.
Old 07-02-2019, 21:11   #6

What platform / browser are you on? Windows / Firefox, Mac / Opera, etc.

On Win7Pro / Firefox Quantum v67.0.4 (64-bit) the paperclip 'attach image' icon doesn't work. Chrome on the same computer opens an upload dialog box:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 07 01 screenshot for PU.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	54666

which clearly works just fine (I used it to attach a screenshot of the dialog box).

Some things (like in-line links) in FF stopped working 3-5 months ago. I don't have time to chase 'why' when I can open another browser & they work. I've used / recommended Firefox for going on twenty years. I'm set in my ways / loathe to change / regard FF as more secure than Chrome (Hi Google! Have all my data yet?)

Whatever OS (Windows 7, 8, 10 / Mac or ???) and browser you're running, you can try opening an instance with all add-ons disabled to see if things work.

In Firefox: Launch it as you usually do, click the "Firefox" button, click the small arrowhead next to "Help" and click "Restart with Add-Ons Disabled" in the submenu. Click the "Restart" button to confirm the action and restart Firefox.

In this stripped version, open this forum, reply to this thread and try clicking on the paperclip icon. If it works, one of your add-ons / extensions is heavy-handedly interfering.

If so, restart FF in the normal mode (nothing disabled) & try disabling one extension at a time to see if you can find out which one. This pretty much applies no matter what version of Windows you're running or even if you're on another operating system (such as a Mac). If you're using another browser, Google how to start it in 'safe' or 'clean' mode (add-ons disabled).

hth,

NetLar
(old, mostly retired IT guy)
NetLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:17   #7
RJF

Nickel, PMs don't allow attachments, unfortunately.

My firefox (latest edition) on Win7 works fine for uploading attachments.

PM me and we can exchange e-mails with pics, then I can load your pics for you. Not sure why you can't, but feel your frustration.
tcsafety likes this.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:24   #8

Originally Posted by nickelplate View Post
I'd like to do a write up on how I went about machining/attaching a Harris bipod to my 583 wood stock Ranch rifle. It wasn't easy due to several unexpected high hurdles but it turned out quite well and I'm willing to share my findings with all of the wood Rancher's on this forum but there's a problem:
I have four 600 x 450 photos that for the life of me I can't get them to load on this thread. I've posted photos here before with no problem but no dice now, quite frustrated at this point because the write up needs the corresponding photos to make the thread work.
I've reached out for photo attachment help in several other sub forums here but to date no luck so can I somehow PM or email the photos to one of you folks then perhaps you can attach them to my thread OR let me know how I can attach them myself? Guidance please.
Here you go!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...-mini-14-black
blacktalonalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:52   #9

Originally Posted by blacktalonalan View Post
Eh... if you want it to keep a more consistent POI, you'll want to stay away from putting a bunch of pressure on the gas block. Unless you can load the bipod the same each and every shot... which is tough to do.

No Step On Snek!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:53   #10
RJF

Hey, all, I'm awaiting Nickel's text via e-mail (already have the wonderful pics) and will post them. The pics are very impressive. I went a little more less expensive route, but Nickel's work turned out very nice!
tcsafety and Mr.T. like this.
Old 07-05-2019, 16:39   #11

If it's a wood stock, Brownells has these very handy Uncle Mike's flush mount sling swivels that are easily installed and removed once the socket has been put in place. I've used them on several different rifles and all you need is the kit, a drill press and some epoxy. I'm more of a pedestal/rear bag kind of guy for most of the shooting I do, but can see the utility of a bipod in the field. These flush mount swivels are a good solution, allowing you to have it both ways.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...-prod8892.aspx
RCE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:38   #12
RJF

Originally Posted by nickelplate View Post
The rifle: Ruger Mini-14 Ranch 583 wood stock
The bipod: Harris Engineering series "S" model "L", 9" to 13" purchased as an HBLS COMBO.
The Harris line has all sorts of attachment adapters to work with. 1913 picatinny, M-Lock or KeyMod rails but they all come down to using one swivel stud either at the start or the end of the bipod attachment.
Reading from the supplied Harris literature, "The wood should have a thickness of at least 1/2" in the area of the stud attachment to keep the stud from pulling out". I measured the Mini's wood fore end thickness at 5/16", just a little more than half that was recommended so a single swivel stud in my stock wasn't going to meet the thickness criteria so I epoxy bedded in two Grovtec 10-32 brass inserts spaced for a Magpul 7 slot polymer picatinny rail.
After drilling the first pilot hole I used a forstner 1/4" drill bit for the finish cut for the brass insert and also used a bevel bit on the inside of the stock to create a "puddle pool" basin for the epoxy to fill in for extra grip like a tee nut would do. After the first insert was epoxied, a final measurement was taken to help insure proper alignment fore and aft and distance between the two screws.
The two 10-32 stainless steel round head screws and the brass inserts had to be trimmed to length as not to interfere with the underneath of the rifle's metal forearm liner and stock cap assembly. This step is very important as this piece acts as a guide for the slide assembly to the gas pipe.
The bipod comes with an aft attached sling stud for a sling but I used the stud on the bottom of my ASI adjustable gas block-works just fine for the 1-1/4" leather sling with clearance between the bipod legs when in the folded position and I don't have to adjust the length or reattach it if the bipod is removed from the rifle.
I want to thank our member RJF for volunteering to post up the photos, they should be along soon.
At the behest of Nickel, the photos he's been trying to post are here!
Attached Thumbnails
Wood stock surgery: QD attaching a Harris bipod to a Ranch rifle-photo1.jpg   Wood stock surgery: QD attaching a Harris bipod to a Ranch rifle-photo2.jpg   Wood stock surgery: QD attaching a Harris bipod to a Ranch rifle-photo3.jpg   Wood stock surgery: QD attaching a Harris bipod to a Ranch rifle-photo4.jpg  
Old 07-06-2019, 20:34   #13

Woah! Nickel... That's some seriously good work!

They should roll out of the factory that way
RJF, Bepe and tcsafety like this.
Old 07-06-2019, 22:59   #14

Nice. I'm not sure I want the extra weight. But if I do that's a fine set-up!
RJF likes this.
tcsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:40   #15

Very nice work! I used the T nut under the liner myself.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:28   #16

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I had plenty of time to do the research, choose the system and acquire the parts (some of which the shipping costs were more than the part) as this crazy bipod infatuation struck me as I was entering my second shoulder replacement surgery.
As for the mechanical side of the project there were two critical points of no return. The first was getting up the "stones" to drill the first pilot hole, the one closest to the gas block. Running a straight edge along the bottom of the fore end there's a point where the stock starts a slight angle up toward the gas block. I didn't want the rail showing a slit of daylight between the base of the rail and the bottom of the stock on it's leading edge and then having to tighten it down beyond super snug would result in a bow and the bipod would hang up as opposed to sliding freely into one of the lockable slots.
The second point of no return was the second pilot hole as I spent way too much time with string lines, girth measuring and good old eyeballing trying to figure out the alignment of where to drill it and then when I punched that starter hole, the sharp center punch skipped on a hard grain line! It just kept getting worse after several more strikes so I wound up filling the misaligned hole(s) with JB Weld. Luckily these strikes were well within the 1/4" forstner drill's final pathway.
tri70, RJF, Bepe and 2 others like this.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:49   #17

Fine job! Let us know how it shoots!