• 2 Post By Walkenbear
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By smbob
  • 1 Post By Russ P
  • 2 Post By Walkenbear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2019, 17:25   #1

Finishing touches on the SS/Synthetic 189

The last few days I finished up on the SS 189 that my daughter had brought back to me a few weeks ago.
She took home the new build with shorter barrel and cut down butt pad, and I had been wanting to do some more work on this one.
It is the one in these pics:

I thought it to be too grey with both metal and stock Cerakoted grey, so I redid the stock a couple years ago in FDE:

Since I got it back, I replaced the long cage Ruger flashhider with an A2 FH.
Now I can shoot prone without kicking up dirt, and the A2 makes the overall length a bit less.
I added a Mo-Rod strut I got for free, and dimpled the gas block for the set screws, and softened up the square edges of the clamp.
I took about a pound off the trigger by shortening the secondary sear spring.
And improved the front swivel attachment by replacing the Magpul socket with a short rail that matched the light rail on the other side.

I had never noticed side to side play of the receiver in the poly stock, but it had some, so I epoxied in a plastic card shim on either side of the receiver lugs. This Mini was always the most accurate one I've had, so the play didn't bother me before.

I though about shortening the barrel, but 16" almost looks too short.
It shoots so well now I hate to mess with it, if I do decide to shorten it it will be to 17" like my wood stocked Mini-30.
That length has a nice happy medium to it.
I still might re-blast and Cerakote in Desert Sand to contrast with the FDE stock and other FDE parts.
But the Titanium Cerakote I put on 4 years ago still looks like new, and most likely will look great for the rest of my days.
I have the FastFire dot off here, as the next range trip will be to check and fine tune the Tech sight. Then the dot will go back on so it can be zeroed.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 17:49   #2

Nice setup! Love the look! You're a master Sandog
sandog and Bepe like this.
Mr.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:36   #3

Looks good!

Your Mini-30 looks more like a M1A/M14, I think it should be termed M30A1.

The 189 series seems to be the best of the older mini 30's. I was told by a Ruger rep that the machinery was just wearing out when the later mini's where being produced and to wait for a while until the upgraded the machinery before buying a new one, but he didn't tip his hand by saying they were going to do a complete makeover of the mini 14 with the heavier barrel dia from the mini 30 and new sights, that was a surprise. I shot a 189 series mini 30 that gave pretty consistent 2" five shot groups with Winchester white box 7.62x39, completely stock rifle, no modifications at all.

It will be interesting to see what the Mo-Rod will do for accuracy. With the Ultimak and Mo-Rod it should really stiffen the barrel. A few threads have been written about vertical stringing even with the scout rails. I'm starting to think about the fitment of the gas block into the forearm liner/stock cap. Seems to me that undo pressure on the bottom of the barrel might have an effect as the barrel heats and expands causing more upward pressure When you consider barrel length, whip and different loads coming into play it just might string groups walking them either up or down. So I am curious to see the effect of the Mo-Rod on group size.

Incidentally the Mo-Rod was created by a member here named Kelly Moffitt as an lower priced alternative to the Accustrut, hence the name Mo in the name Mo-Rod from the first two initials of his last name. I guess it could be called the Moffitt Rod, I kind of like the sound of that a bit better.
sandog and tcsafety like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All Rights Reserved

Last edited by Walkenbear; 06-22-2019 at 11:00.
Walkenbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 13:40   #4

I don't know how much of a lower priced alternative the Mo-Rod is, if you look at Sunflower Sports, who carries both the Mo-Rod and Accustrut, they are both about the same, $119 to $140, depending on the model.
The Mo-Rods and Mo-Reapers are sold exclusively through Sunflower, no website to check out. But I believe Mr. Moffitt resides here in Northern Arizona.
tcsafety likes this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 18:58   #5

Sweet Sundog! That looks beautiful Man! Way to go!
sandog likes this.
smbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:06   #6

That's a dang cool lookin' firearm Sandog. I wish I had the time to do that to my Mini. I'll be lucky if I can go shootin' today.

Mama keeps me on the run.
sandog likes this.
Russ P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:47   #7

Your right, looking at the sunflower sports website I see that the Mo-rod and Accustrut are not so different in price. When Mr Moffitt first developed the Mo-Rod it was priced about quite a bit less than the Accustrut. That was when there was 1 model of each available. Now that a third party is involved with distributing looks like they charge what the market will bear. I do believe he still does live in N. AZ. At one time he was the Chief Operating Officer of the AZ State Parks. I think he is retired now, having had some health problems, and hopefully taking life easy. His PU member ID is KMO. Here is a link to his introductory post on the Mo-Rod from 2009, It's Coming...My $50 Barrel Strut

Not ever having used a strut myself but just judging by the looks of it I like the clamping system on the Accustrut better. I had a friend who had a tricked out standard mini-14 done by GunDoc who said that of all the mods done to his mini (trigger job, compensator, bedding, cryo treated, reduced size gas bushings and Accustrut) who said that of all the improvements the Accustrut showed the biggest improvement in accuracy. His mini could shoot a 20 round magazine, rapid fire but not a mag dump, into 1 1/2" inch groups at 110 yards, using his handloads. Interestingly he got the best accuracy when his mini was "hot and dirty". He was an excellent shot and handloader, a former Army Ranger he held several Oregon State pistol shooting records, so not your average shooter.
sandog and tcsafety like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All Rights Reserved
Walkenbear is offline   Reply With Quote