My Mini 14 needs to do on a diet - Page 4 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 17:41   #76

Got a lead for who to look at to make a titanium op rod? Thanks, Wrench Bender.
Old 01-29-2020, 17:58   #77

Would need to contact a local machine shop. Not sure where you are, but an aircraft parts CNC shop could do it.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 20:18   #78

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
you could have a titanium op rod made.....would, most likely only cost about $1k

The existing op rod could take a huge diet of lightening holes if you were also re-tuning the spring and gas for that to not break it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lordmorgul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2020, 20:21   #79

Originally Posted by headedtotexas View Post
So the Op Rod lightening project went well, but did not remove anywhere near enough weight. The 'smith even milled grooves instead of holes, but there is still a ways to go. Scope bases look great and came together just as I imagined them.

Current weight is 7 pounds 2.6 ounces all up (no ammo). Wish someone made a titanium Op Rod. Not sure I see another 2.6 ounces to remove.

Do you consider cross-drilling it as well?

Old 02-09-2020, 20:41   #80

Slots here, if well deburred, should be ok... the spring may tend to bind up if those holes and slots arenít chamfered internally more than a typical deburr. I think there is material around the gas port blocky end that could come off too. What I wouldnít touch is the rod backward toward the handle.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:52   #81

Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
The existing op rod could take a huge diet of lightening holes if you were also re-tuning the spring and gas for that to not break it.

Lightening action parts can have a drastic effect upon longevity.
Lighter weight parts will create bettering of the bolt and could create an out of battery condition.

Removing weight or even machining a lighter weight op rod may be a bad idea.
Old 02-10-2020, 17:46   #82
Glass Half-Full Member

Proceed with caution when lightening the op-rod. There's a little wiggle room, But Ruger has things pretty well optimized for reliable function. The op-rod is one of those parts that must stay within a +/- weight range to work as designed.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 19:13   #83

here is a tread by X man who did machine his op/slide

Slide Assm Modification

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All Rights Reserved
Walkenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 18:18   #84

Thanks Bear, I had seen that X Man thread. His objective was different, but his means were the same. I think cross boring is the next step. My math says I need to remove 3 ounces from the 13 ounce starting weight. Bringing it down to 9 ounces is quite a bit more than X Man's 12 ounces, but it can all be rebalanced with gas port bushings, springs and buffers. More as I know it. Thanks men.
Old 03-08-2020, 18:29   #85

It's not a Mini but if you want light weight, I built an AR on a Tennessee Arms polymer lower with an M16A1 upper, a light weight 16" carbine barrel and collapsible stock. It came to about 5 lbs 12 ounces. This is with a standard BCG.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 15:12   #86

Beating six pounds is really nice. That would be a great gun to carry. Once my Mini project plays out, I figure I'll be on to an AR built on the Fightlite SCR platform. Pretty sure it will break the seven pound mark.

Problem is, both are 223s. What I'd really like to see is the Fightlite SCR in 308.

kwg020 likes this.
Old 03-09-2020, 19:38   #87

Flightlite seems to be having some issues making and marketing their SCR. These lowers should be all over the internet but for some reason they are suspiciously absent. I don't know what the deal is but these things should be flying off the shelves. For some reason they are not getting to the shelves.

kwg
Old 03-10-2020, 05:04   #88

They had a big couple days at SHOT 2020 and I see a bunch of them on Gunbroker, but they are not inexpensive like the rest of the AR world. Maybe they have been spinning their wheels in the AR pistol world instead of focusing on their core market?
Old 03-10-2020, 07:51   #89

They had a big couple days at SHOT 2020 and I see a bunch of them on Gunbroker, but they are not inexpensive like the rest of the AR world. Maybe they have been spinning their wheels in the AR pistol world instead of focusing on their core market?

The SCR lower is still under patent protection as I understand it which means there are NO copycats at the present time. With that in mind I can understand the high price. Other than gunbroker I'm not seeing them anywhere else. I see them as the only serious competition to the Mini. This means the prices of Mini's will stay high.

kwg
Old 03-14-2020, 03:11   #90

The reviews that are out are not very flattering either. The mix of old school features and semi auto shotgun tech is intriguing as well as confusing. The pricing will never be as low as the cheap brands like PSA, quality might stay a bit better than PSA.

Looks like the SCR is discontinued, they are only producing a pistol model now.
The concerning thing is parts availability with these.

Years ago I was knee deep into the Robinson XCR. Robinson was being a pain about selling replacement parts,.....I dumped the two rifles I had. If I can’t get parts easily, I dont want it.
kwg020 likes this.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:44   #91

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
The reviews that are out are not very flattering either. The mix of old school features and semi auto shotgun tech is intriguing as well as confusing. The pricing will never be as low as the cheap brands like PSA, quality might stay a bit better than PSA.

Looks like the SCR is discontinued, they are only producing a pistol model now.
The concerning thing is parts availability with these.

Years ago I was knee deep into the Robinson XCR. Robinson was being a pain about selling replacement parts,.....I dumped the two rifles I had. If I canít get parts easily, I dont want it.

Sometimes these startups with good ideas are their own worst enemy and keep tripping on themselves.
kwg
Old 03-14-2020, 14:51   #92

I like my Mini heavy.
mini14collector is offline   Reply With Quote